Tips for newbies in marrketing their carpet cleaning busines

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
The first rule you need to follow is Never trust an ad salesman!
They know as much about marketing as you know about manufacturing a carpet cleaning machine from scratch. Their job is to sell you their product and/or service. They do not care about your results and will bs you as long as they can to keep your money flowing.

Number 2: the yellow pages are essentially deAd for carpet cleaning. If you are a newbie you don't have the budget to even stand a shot at getting the eyeballs of the very few eople that still use it!

Number 3: anything that sits on a rack, shelf, cash regiser receipt is a complete waste of money! You will never make your money back and anyone that tells you different is either a liar or one in a million!
Number 4: you will quickly deplete your circle of influence( friends and family). Initially you will get a bump from his but it will not last and should not be counted on! You need to rapidly expand your circle by attending networking groups, golfing, hunting, charity work, etc. Have cards to give out. Not fliers! They make you look cheap and desperate.

Number 5: if you are an owner operator: your prices need to reflect the level of service you plan to provide. If you plan to provide Mercedes level service: you need to charge Mercedes prices from the get go. If you wait until you have blown through your circle to raise your prices: it is harder to market yourself as high end. Decide sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to email me if you have questions or need help

Name
I'm Rick James
Number 3: anything that sits on a rack, shelf, cash regiser receipt is a complete waste of money! You will never make your money back and anyone that tells you different is either a liar or one in a million!

Are you talking about brochures? Can you expand on your post.

Thanks

Ryan

Yes please expand! If you where a new guy starting out with one truck how would you market?

Name
Lee Stockwell
He wouldn't market at all. He'd go to work for Houndstooth until he wore out his equipment. Then he'd move to Kentucky (in with relatives) and start competing with me.

What is it with Atlanta exporting desperate cleaners? At least two have moved into our market from there in the last year.

Thanks,
Lee

duckster

There's a title for a newTV show

Desperate Cleaners of Atlanta

Take the Beverly Hillbillies and run the plot the other way

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
It should be titled do not do tips for newbies. If it were tips it would be something like
5 Tips for newbies
1. Don't just join your local chamber of commerce be active in it go to the meetings educational and after hours stuffand shamelessly promote yourself without being obscene. Let everyone know you are the best and give out lots of cards and make sure you ask questions about others businesses and remember them and talk to them and be friends
2.send out a poress release about the new president of Happy Touch Carpet cleaning with a profile on the president.you and have all your company info in it including your website(you better have one)
3. learn about how you should sell your commercial business without paying someone to show you how and go door to door, business to business with a smile(it helps if you look like the all american guy like myself)
4. Track everything, save every address you do work for in one book and save the non working ones in another and jkeep marketing to your database
5. Be creative. don't do it the way everyone else does it unless they are so rich you are 100% envious then take the time to steal what they have available and will give you evaluate it and change it to suit your company.

that is just a start on your commercial business and the price is what you can make a profit you are happy with. Do great work at a fair price and you will outshine half these happy asses who are broke on the boards

Name
I'm Rick James
Its also good to point out that what works for greg will not work for other companies. his system is more, well unusal.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
brent said:

Thanks

NOT talking about brouchures that you hand out. I am talking about Magazines, coupon books, FREE newspapers, or anything else you would see in sitting in a rack in a grocery store, Wal-Mart, etc..

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Lee Stockwell said:
He wouldn't market at all. He'd go to work for Houndstooth until he wore out his equipment. Then he'd move to Kentucky (in with relatives) and start competing with me.

What is it with Atlanta exporting desperate cleaners? At least two have moved into our market from there in the last year.

Thanks,
Lee

It's my little contribution to you! I tell them all: Go harrass Lee

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Matt Murdock said:
It should be titled do not do tips for newbies. If it were tips it would be something like
5 Tips for newbies
1. Don't just join your local chamber of commerce be active in it go to the meetings educational and after hours stuffand shamelessly promote yourself without being obscene. Let everyone know you are the best and give out lots of cards and make sure you ask questions about others businesses and remember them and talk to them and be friends
2.send out a poress release about the new president of Happy Touch Carpet cleaning with a profile on the president.you and have all your company info in it including your website(you better have one)
3. learn about how you should sell your commercial business without paying someone to show you how and go door to door, business to business with a smile(it helps if you look like the all american guy like myself)
4. Track everything, save every address you do work for in one book and save the non working ones in another and jkeep marketing to your database
5. Be creative. don't do it the way everyone else does it unless they are so rich you are 100% envious then take the time to steal what they have available and will give you evaluate it and change it to suit your company.

that is just a start on your commercial business and the price is what you can make a profit you are happy with. Do great work at a fair price and you will outshine half these happy asses who are broke on the boards

Crowley,
I like # 1, 4, & 5.
Commercial work only is a recipe for disaster. Ask anyone that reacently went out of business when their main customers filed bankrupcy, went out of business, or stuck them for thousand. A healthy mixture of commercial and residential is necessary for survival. Water damage should be introduced as well, but ONLY after getting WRT and ASD certified by the IICRC (if you are new - you really need both the classroom and the hands-on)

Name
I'm Rick James
gregcole said:
brent said:

Thanks

NOT talking about brouchures that you hand out. I am talking about Magazines, coupon books, FREE newspapers, or anything else you would see in sitting in a rack in a grocery store, Wal-Mart, etc..

Thanks for expanding on that. How many jobs you do a month and year and how long have you owned your company.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
brent said:
Its also good to point out that what works for greg will not work for other companies. his system is more, well unusal.

Brent,

The O&O startup needs to focus on a basic strategy. I believe I have laid one out. He cannot afford mistakes. He/she must realize that most fail their first 2 years and they can't expect to get rich out the door.
Regarding the marketing, please know one thing: I have tried a variation of EVERYTHING out there. I am meticulous in my tracking. Whether or not you choose to learn from my mistakes, it's up to you.There isn't a single type of media that I can think of that I haven't done.
For the record: I am a discounter. I run discount coupons and mail out about 1.8 million pieces every single week. What Brent brings up is a good point. Discount coupon advertising does not work for the O&O. It is a going out of business plan if you do not have DEEP POCKETS! I STRONGLY suggest that you go the high end route. It will provide you the profits to allow you to build a strong business while at the same time taking home a steady profit margin. Your goal should to launch truck # 2 on the road at your 2 year anniversary.
I also recommend you go see the guys at Jon DOn for their SFS class.

As always, feel free to email me if you need help or have questions-

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Ryan said:
Yes please expand! If you where a new guy starting out with one truck how would you market?

Ryan,
I believe I spelled out a basic marketing plan for a newbie. Please know that EVERYTHING you do is marketing. Most people think that simply by buying an ad -theya re marketing their business. Reality is- they likely are hurting the image of their business.
EVERYTHING from uniforms, to shoes, to personal hygiene, to lettering, color of logo, phone number, appearance of the van, etc is marketing. Your attitude is marketing. A newbie cleaner with a truckmount (portable doesn't fit into the message of "Highend") can easily produce $50-$75k his first year without spending a penny on an ad of any sort.
Few things he/she will need:
Logo
Quality business cards w/ dedicated phone number on it
Wrapped or lettered truckmount van
Quality website with authentic text. - Hire a company to create for yu - Usually $500-$2000 bucks. Many people on this Mikeys develop and would be happy to help you for around that amount.
A phone with trained professional. Answering machines and cell phones cost you more than you save on a secretary. One call missed=$350. Secretary for hours you are on the job : 30 hours@$9= $270. Spend the money and get help. Wife or girlfriend is usually much more expensive than a secretary and usually hard to fire if they aren't doing their job to your satisfaction.

-g

Name
I'm Rick James
Thanks for the reply.

Are you attempting to build a image and a brand?

Do you feel your business model has the ability to stay in business for 5-10 + years without changing your name or location?

What made you choose to go the route you did with the system you use? I bet it is stressful. How many subs do you use and how many jobs a month do you do? Whats your profit margin.

Just want to understand more about your company.

Thanks

Name
I'm Rick James
juniorc82 said:
Idont agree . The yellow pages have paid for themselves 10fold it must be a regional thing.

I think he is applying that its not a good idea to take out a full page ad or drop alot of dough on it.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
juniorc82 said:
Idont agree . The yellow pages have paid for themselves 10fold it must be a regional thing.

Four years in the business- You have a shot- You got in before it went south. Might be a rregional thing but unlikely. A new guy can't handle the cost of a big yellow page ad coupled with everything else... Recipe for disaster

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
brent said:
juniorc82 said:

I think he is applying that its not a good idea to take out a full page ad or drop alot of dough on it.

Thanks! Yes- that's exactly what I am implying. And I don't feel that any yellow page ad is good fr the first year. Focus on referrals and word of mouth marketing. A Newbie will make alot of mistake his first year and a $1k-$10k a month payment shouldn't be one of them

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
That was my commercial points. I will put my residential out sunday when I have time.
I have a unique business in 1 truck 90% residential and 1 90 % commercial in seperate areas
Massachusetts keeps me from expanding

Mikey P

Administrator
Greg

Do you mail out coupons? To whom and how often?

What percentage of your new customers find you on the web?

Did you notice an increase in web folks this year?

Do you mail or call your reminder notices?

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Mikey P said:
Greg

1. Do you mail out coupons? To whom and how often?

2. What percentage of your new customers find you on the web?

3. Did you notice an increase in web folks this year?

4. Do you mail or call your reminder notices?

LOL- you already know these answeres but here goes:

1. of course- I am a coupon discounter- NOT recommended for o&O. I run 40+ trucks and the volume that I purchase at gives me the profit margin,
2. It is strangely VERY eratic- I have NEVER seen number jump around on a marketing source like this before. 2-6% monthly. Sometimes a Adwords campaing makes money and other months it loses big time!
3. Decrease for the year.
4. YES- Daily mailings. - Daily emails.

Bjorn

do you mean more like I have 40 + Subcontractors driving their own ford pinto station wagons and vw vans suvs and pick up trucks.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Let's get back to this...image is everything

It's not the advertiser (yellow pages and other phone books) it's the ad
If you are going to run an ad, have a separate designer design it for you...it won't be the best ROI but it can work if you have a little bit of cash flow.

Join a networking group and then visit EVERY networking group in your area. It cost nothing...usually...and you can make some connections....Carpet Cleaning is an easy lead...everyone has carpet...or even tile.
you will usually get a free lunch out of it.

Get a website and get it optimized...make sure it's done right and make sure it looks like you are the best cleaner in the world, try to be different but try to look like a carpet cleaning company.

Finally, if you want more business...you have to give back. Work with other companies in your power partner group like house cleaners, landscapers, painters, handymen, etc....and try to get them work as often as possible. And let them know to refer you out to any and all of there customers.

Remember to do good work and don't charge too little.

It goes on and on from there.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Another great post Brian

And an outstanding Thread---

What Greg forgot to mention is one of the most important things about advertising is

!!!Track where your sales came from!!!

juniorc82 said:

Greg's experience is Atlanta where the yellow pages are very expensive....
The other problem with the yellow pages is Which one gets used. I did a survey in my neighborhood because there were 5 yellow page books out. I went to 12 houses--all friends of mine in the 30-50 age groups. You should do the same before you buy a yellow page ad. I won't tell you which book but that it was a landslide 10- were all one company.

Ask them which book, when was the last time they looked in it.

The web is the new yellow pages. Anyone under 30 never picks up a yellow pages. They log onto their phone or computer to do a search.

If you check the average age of the customer you get from a yellow page ad you will see it is probably over 50.

I really agree with most of Greg's comments. But....

The Internet is the new Yellow Pages

Greg doesn't really "get" the internet yet.

He may have spent a bit of money on it but it doesn't even mesh--The words overlap into the wrong places on his coupons.

You need a lot of meat (text) for the search engines to grab ahold of.

Even if you are not photogenic you need to be on your website---you too Greg--- Your website says check our Testimonials but you don't have a link to them and you don't seem to have any.

I have been to at least three of Gregs Websites. This isn't a bad strategy either (building more than one website) as you get bigger but finish one website first. You should go look at them and critique them---You will spot the problems (there are several) right away.

I think the designer was trying to make it look like the front page of a coupon. Not bad but finish it--If it says click here have a link---duh---

I have several other constructive criticisms but Greg you can afford to pay for it I have already given you several freebees.

The woman playing in the water on your water restoration page is delicious---Rick

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I just did a job from a small yellow page ad I have. It was a $500.00 job.
Did a job yesterday from one of my online ads...it was a $1000.00 job.

Not sure it really matters. It's just what happened.

On the other side
The $500.00 job was a commercial account that looks like the will stay with me and the $1000.00 job was a high end residential that I may or may not hear from for a year or more.

You make the call.

duckster

Brian Robison said:
Work with other companies in your power partner group like house cleaners, landscapers, painters, handymen, etc....and try to get them work as often as possible. And let them know to refer you out to any and all of there customers.

My two cents.

Have your customers refer you to the maintenance firms and contractors they have used. If the service provider comes HIGHLY recommended, it is better to recommend them than to pull some guy's name out of the paper, yellow pages or online search engines.

Link to them on your site and get a reciprocating link on their sites.

Try getting business cards from these other service providers and work out a discount rate for their services if you refer them. Do the same for them (business cards and a referral discount rate offer). Reciprocating discount offers show respect for the honor and integrity of the other businessperson. Avoid recommending just one in each category, provide at least two whenever possible. Only provide a recommendation for services where you do have two qualified firms in that service field.

The one giving you the most business gets top position with graphics and bold print. They have ELITE status. The others need to knock the ELITE guys out of first place to get that special treatment. Rankings change monthly.

Include those companies when sending out your newsletters. Both as content and a subscriber. It keeps your name fresh in their minds. Once again, if these companies are not willing to hand out your business cards when appropriate, are not willing to provide a link to you on their websites, are not willing to negotiate a reciprocating discount plan, do not use them. Not even as a temporary space filler on your growing list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom