TM continues to run after ignition is cut off.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
25 hp water-cooled Kohler ("Aegis") sputters / diesels at a low rpm long after ignition is shut off. Sometimes runs backwards.

Motor has 2100 hrs on it. New distributor-installed ($700) carb last year.

Fix?

Thanks,

John

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
What RPM are you shutting it off at? My Genesis will carry on if I shut it off under 2000 RPM. Try Running it over 2000 RPM's for a minute or so before shutting it down. Helps cool it off.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
They all do that if turned off hot. Idel down while you are packing out of a job.

Becker

Name
Becker
My chem tex panther loved to do that.

Really did not matter what speed I shut it down.

Was even better when it backfired! So loud!

Best way i found to keep it from doing it was shut it down under load. block both vac ports.
idle down, then shut it off.

My honda's don't do it.

Name
I'm Rick James
Les gave me some advice a couple of years ago. The battery cables and the carb fuel sensor. Doesnt do it any more and it actually runs better because of the new battery cables.

You should PM Les.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Always cool it down to 180 degrees. Have tried shutting off at different rpms and moving throttle while running after ignition shut off.

Thanks again,

John

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I've discovered that if I open the throttle all the way after cutting the ignition, the engine will surge, then stop.

Bob Foster

Open the top of the blower inlet and jam a coat hanger in there. It will stop right away....

Oh shit I shouldn't say that one of you morons will actually believe me and try it.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Johnny said:
25 hp water-cooled Kohler ("Aegis") sputters / diesels at a low rpm long after ignition is shut off. Sometimes runs backwards.

Motor has 2100 hrs on it. New distributor-installed ($700) carb last year.

Fix?

Thanks,

John

After you idle it down for a minute or two. If you can reach the throttle mechanism, hold it closed with a screwdriver when you turn the key off.
And make sure the idle is not too high to begin with.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Lee Stockwell said:
Advice has been all over so my two cents: pull the choke as you turn it off.

If I pull the choke on my 38 it just adds fuel to the fire and makes it twice as bad.
Almost to the point of it sounding like the rods are coming out of the engine.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I'll add my 2 cents. My back up unit has an older Kohler,at an idle the electric fuel pump would push gas past the float valve and cause it to run rich and then not shut down well. I installed a by-pass switch on the pump, now I cut the power to the pump before I shut down and let it burn off the excess fuel before I turn the key off.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Shane T said:
I'll add my 2 cents. My back up unit has an older Kohler,at an idle the electric fuel pump would push gas past the float valve and cause it to run rich and then not shut down well. I installed a by-pass switch on the pump, now I cut the power to the pump before I shut down and let it burn off the excess fuel before I turn the key off.

Good idea, Shane. But I think my Kohler has a mechanical fuel pump.

I could put a shut-off valve on the fuel line if I need to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom