tm descaler

is there any stronger descaler than the one they sale at cc supply dis. currently using hydramaster seems to weak, I heard home depot sells one for swimming pools. would it damage my tm.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Get the prochem powder its as sour as it gets. The prochem stuff is supposed to have corrosion inhibitors so I stay away from the hardware store acid.

Also, Many guys don’t get this but to properly descale a machine; the descler needs to be cycled through the machine in a closed loop at a warm temperature for 10-20 minutes. Put the descaler in the water box (unless its aluminum) then run a short solution line back to the water box.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
In the case of a steamway with aluminum water box, bybass the water box and use a bucket.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Prochem or Masterblends are both pretty good

the last couple years I've been using muratic acid .
It's cheap and "wicked hot" ...use with caution and DO NOT neglect protective gear when using it.
gloves and eye protection minimum

do it as Mike (Ace) mentioned

if you're running a Powermatic/Legacy here's my procedure;
(I think you run PM's no?)

You need 5 gal bucket and short piece of garden hose (appx 6-8ft) with male end .
Buy a cheap garden hose at Big Lots or similar and cut it
(if you don't have any junk garden hose on hand to cut )

disconnect the water box hose at the plenum (that brass block with all the hoses plugged into it)
Keep the disconnected water box hose above the water level in the box and it won't drain out

Plug the short piece of garden hose into the plenum .
(I'm assuming you know you need to screw on the fitting you use for fresh water fill hose )

The cut end of the hose goes into the 5 gal bucket of your descale solution

Connect your high pressure solution line to the TM.
On the tool end , plug in a mating QD so you'll have open flow

Turn off the emulsifier feed .

Start the TM and turn on the pump and heater .(set the thermostat to about 150 or less)
Don't recirculate it into the bucket just yet.
Purge the solution that's in the system's heater coils and plumbing first .
Keep your eye on the 5 gal bucket , when 2/3s of it is gone, the system will be pretty well purged of any alkaline emulsifier (assuming you run some detergent while cleaning)

Now add another gal or two of descale solution to the 5 gal bucket.
now you can recirculate the solution .
You only need to do that for minute or so , or until sol temp is around 150.

shut the TM down and let the acid dwell in the system .
if using prochem or masterblends descale powder according to directions, ,let it dwell a half hour or better.
less if using muratic acid at 50-50 mix

While dwelling , take a cup of alkaline detergent and mix it directly in the water box
I mix it that strong to be sure I've neutralized the strong acid I use.

oakie doakie, now it's dwelled and you're ready to flush.
Plug back in the water box, plug in fresh water line, turn on the emulsifier feed, start up and flush, flush, flush the system.

if you used muratic acid, be prepared to see a surprising amount of gUnk/goo come out of the solution line.
If it clogs, turn up to hi-pressure setting and blow the chit out

Flush for a good long time.
I flush for 10 minutes or longer minimum

One final note of caution If using muratic acid ..
If your TM hasn't been descaled "thoroughly" in awhile, don't let the muratic dwell too long .
Turn the pump on every minute or so to pump out goo.
otherwise it may get so impacted with goo, even hi-pressure won't push it thru the QD's .
Then you'll have a real mess removing and clearing plumbing lines and fittings...
ask me how I know..... :oops: :lol:

..L.T.A.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
if its the steel coil on any system...wacth for "flakes" of shit coming off....they get stuck on the back side of the QDs and well...lets just say throw them away :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

i now run a filter coming right off my burner....

to bad they dont have a "better" filter type to run in HP systems.....that little strainer thing...is kind of a pita

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
if its the steel coil on any system...wacth for "flakes" of shit coming off....they get stuck on the back side of the QDs and well...lets just say throw them away :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

to bad they dont have a "better" filter type to run in HP systems.....that little strainer thing...is kind of a pita

do you flush your line at start up ?
and cool down at shut down?

it'll make a world of difference

stick a naked QD on the end of the sol line, put the line in the vac hose, go start the TM.
By the time you get back into the house, the line will be nicely flushed .
hook it to the tool and get to work

at shut down, turn off the heat, fill sprayers or emulsion tank, rinse off wand/tools etc

..L.T.A.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I thought about writing out detailed instruction that would actually be useful, but it seemed like a PITA.

Good thing Larry is not lazy.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
meAt said:
floorguy said:

do you flush your line at start up ?
and cool down at shut down?

it'll make a world of difference

stick a naked QD on the end of the sol line, put the line in the vac hose, go start the TM.
By the time you get back into the house, the line will be nicely flushed .
hook it to the tool and get to work

at shut down, turn off the heat, fill sprayers or emulsion tank, rinse off wand/tools etc

..L.T.A.

yup.....it just happens around the time i descale..then it goes away

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I've never descaled any of my truckmounts. I understand about the build up but if it's not causing any problems why bother with it? I'm not loosing any heat.

gene

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
Never de scaled any of my Prochems , just soft water, 1991 800A 9K hours, 2000 405 6325, 2007 650Hp 2450. Its not needed guys, BUY a water softner and use good chems

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I usually run muriatic acid or prochem powder.

I warm it up to 80-100F and add the descaler into the fresh water box. Its plastic on the el diablo.
I take the first 100feet of solution line that I use and connect it to the machine.and the other and into the water box.

What's important here is that I take a short pantyhose and pull it on the line where the water coming out of the pressure line into the water box. Tie it to the hose and let the water flow tru it. Give it some extra room where the flakes will collect.

This way all the bigger specs and flakes will get caught in the pantyhose and won't ge recycled into the water(I think its better for the pump not to have to deal with all the flakes.)

I let it run and circulate for 15min.

After that I take the hose out with the pantyhose on it and start flushing it high pressure and low pressure back and forth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom