TM switching vans

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I bought a newer van. Going from a Ford standard length to chevy extended.

I might try just reinstalling the machine myself. I have an engine hoist and garage. I have to get a fuel kit yet to tap into truck fuel line. I looked under the Ford and it looks simple(just have to cut into rubber fuel line). I havent looked under chevy yet. Can I do it if reasonably mechanical? What should I do while the new van is empty? Spray on bedliner? I heard something about pans you can put under the machine before bolting in for leaks etc. where can I can one? What else? Thanks

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I can tell you this............. on that boxxer 421, why you have it out clean that HX out. cause you can only get to it from the bottom of the machine when its out of the van. You will need a forklift, you can rent one easily.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
The engine hoist is a cherry picker style. I should be able to wrap chain around the machine frame, lift machine, roll cherry picker back than drive other van into place then reverse. Ive put engines in vans thru the side door with the cherry picker in years past, i would think i could use it for this situation unless im missing something? I just have to be able to do it in a weekend.

Name
Lee Stockwell
A few short sections of metal pipe come in handy for rolling the machine around. I moved a 405 from one van to another by myself in less than an hour without a hoist. Of course it's better with help.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Joel D said:
The engine hoist is a cherry picker style. I should be able to wrap chain around the machine frame, lift machine, roll cherry picker back than drive other van into place then reverse. Ive put engines in vans thru the side door with the cherry picker in years past, i would think i could use it for this situation unless im missing something? I just have to be able to do it in a weekend.

if you've changed engines in a van, you're mechanical and should not problems with the install.
Obviously you have the load centered in the sling will be pretty 'portant
The biggest deal will be drilling thru the van floor to bolt down the TM.
Just can't drill "anyolewhere"

I don't know where to get the metal trays.
I'm sure you could have one fabricated .
I have one, but reckon shipping on an item like that might be a tad spendy
It came with my first Powermatic

..L.T.A.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
meAt said:
The biggest deal will be drilling thru the van floor to bolt down the TM.
Just can't drill "anyolewhere"
..L.T.A.

Be sure to use a grommet where the fuel line passes through the floor.

Also, be sure to use large backing plates when mounting the unit, you don't want the bolts pulling thru the floor during a crash:

backingplate.jpg

Ryan

Me and one other guy moved a steam action stealth (heavy machine) from one van to another with a come along and lots of grunting.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
joeynbgky said:
I can tell you this............. on that boxxer 421, why you have it out clean that HX out. cause you can only get to it from the bottom of the machine when its out of the van.

Thats some good advice after two blown engines from clogged heat exchangers on my Boxxer 421 make sure to take it.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
An engine hoist will work just fine. You do not need a forklift. I've personally moved a truckmount from one van to another, and will soon be moving it into yet another newer van, with all new tanks and accessories.

That's right, our truckmount is 25 years old, and runs better than a new one.

It's simple in design, but powerful on the carpet.

You don't need an engine pan. If there's a leak, the water will quickly overflow any pan under the truckmount.

I prefer to install either pressure treated 3/4" plywood, or marine plywood, on the entire floor of the van, and then cover that with a rubber diamond plate design matting (available at industrial hydraulic shops locally). The plywood adds integrity to the van floor, insulates to a degree, and deadens sound and vibration.

I use roofing felt to make a pattern for the plywood, then place the felt between the van floor and the plywood, and secure with stainless screws.

Carpet on the floor wears or uglies out too quickly.

I agree with cleaning and checking out the mount while it is out of the van.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
The main thing is the fuel tap. I have changed and installed several small ones by myself with no lift. put a piece of plywood on a high curb and pull up paralell and slide it onto the plywood, move new van tilt and slide it in. 2 guys is much better. cherry picker makes life so much easier. !gotcha!

charles

I had a drip pan made at a sheet metal shop, It has a drain so if there's a leak it will not flood my box truck. I think it was around $90.00 bucks. I just wipe it out with a rag every so often. It really helps keep the truck floor clean.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
if you do side door, just cut the pan and bend it over the step a little...now, if you are tilted to the driver side it wont work :|

Chads

Supportive Member
I just man handle them myself. I have changed quite few truckmount in my day, you can do it by yourself if your smart and have some muscle. but a helper does help and a cherry picker makes things a breeze. the last one I did was a steam action did it all by myself. pull the bolts out od the prochem and slid it out the side and took a old quad trailer and backed it right up to the door and slid the machine right out onto it it did have a bit of a drop but I made it work, thats what the muscles are for. then did the same thing with the steam action only difference was getting it off the ground on to the trailer so a i propped one end of the machine up using a leaver and kept propping it up higher until I could slide the trailer under one end , then I lifted it the rest of the way on the trailer. then into the van so it can be done. all in one afternoon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom