To Di-Chlor or not to Di-chlor, that is the question?

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
There has been some controversy about this topic in the rug wash forums, private Facebook groups, private conversations among those that belong to various rug groups and associations. There has even been some outright public adversarial marketing against companies that use it in their process by competitors in the same market area.

Many professional rug cleaners in North America, who use large capacity wash tubs, like a Centrum Force paddle wheel device, feel the need to sanitize the wash liquid to prevent cross contamination and to protect their employees.

So what is the consensus now?

Are they reckless with processing rugs?

Let's hear your views. Let me have it! I have thick skin.

CENTRUM DICHLOR LABEL _TM.jpg

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
My tech who attended Rug Summit 10 said that the guy from The "Wool Approved" certification broad said Di-Chlor was wool approved.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
My tech who attended Rug Summit 10 said that the guy from The "Wool Approved" certification broad said Di-Chlor was wool approved.

Thats really not what was said. From what I saw WoolSafe doesn't necessarily have a position on whether it's safe or not (publicly anyway), however their testing shows that at the dilutions used and the time they are used for in these wash tub scenarios creates negligible damage to the wool.

IMO it makes sense for use in the wash tub, otherwise I have never had a need to use it otherwise, but I'm only a few years into this craft. There will be others @rmann @rhyde that will have much better things to say on the subject I'm sure.

Reactions: T Monahan

Ron K

IMO it makes sense for use in the wash tub, otherwise I have never had a need to use it
Just wondering why you're not using it otherwise? We don't use it on "everything" but use it successfully on a lot of rugs, it is economical and very effective. The thing that we have found though that may help you out is if the rug still smells, it is dirty. Wash it again. If you think you have to use deodorizors/fragrence...wash it again.
That means the entire process DWRD.
I make these comments though not knowing how you clean rugs Jordon.

Reactions: T Monahan

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Just wondering why you're not using it otherwise? We don't use it on "everything" but use it successfully on a lot of rugs, it is economical and very effective. The thing that we have found though that may help you out is if the rug still smells, it is dirty. Wash it again. If you think you have to use deodorizors/fragrence...wash it again.
That means the entire process DWRD.
I make these comments though not knowing how you clean rugs Jordon.

You use it for what? Sanitizing a wash tub, removing dye migration from fringes, etc.? Not entirely sure what your "wash it again" statements mean? DWRD?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Tom's di-chlor product minimizes any cross-contamination in the wash tub between rugs.

That is a substantial positive for washing rugs together.

At the high dilutions Tom is using, the wool is not damaged,
even thou the di-chlor is an oxidizer.

Dynachem is advocating a "color-brightening" rug wash with reducing agent, dye transfer inhibitor, enzyme, and neutral detergent, where the di-chlor would not be utilized.

The Enzyme would help eliminate microbial odors .

Last edited:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan

This is what was concluded after the scientific testing done and revealed at Rug Summit 10:

"In our extensive investigations we did not find evidence that the recommended amount of Di-Chlor in the wash tub solution would cause appreciable damage to wool carpet" - Dr. Ágnes Zsednai (Managing Director The WoolSafe Organisation)

This is the device that was analyzed with using a cup or two of Di-Chlor:

Reactions: cleanking

Ron K

Dust
Wash
Rinse
Dry
We use it on rugs with extreme urine conditions.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Reminds me of the old swimming pools with all the urine from kids and whatever they had in them (you don't want to know.) And regardless of all the chlorine they dumped in, they still caused issues for kids, from skin irritations to sore throats, pink eyes and more.

Beside the water savings, why would you need a rug spa with serious need of disinfecting to prevent cross contamination?
Isn't it unhygienic?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom