To invest in a truckmount or to not invest in a truckmount...

Name
Andy Authentic
I figure (not including trailer/vehicle) that I can start my carpet cleaning business for around 5K if I do not use a truckmount.

Of course the job will take me twice as long but I can start out with that and see how it goes (perhaps buy a truckmount later).

Please be honest: am I right or wrong?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It will allow you to be more productive which should relate to more money in your pocket per job. It should also allow you to offer more services. Tile and grout, upholstery cleaning, pressure washing if you buy a bigger unit.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Andy Authentic
It will allow you to be more productive which should relate to more money in your pocket per job. It should also allow you to offer more services. Tile and grout, upholstery cleaning, pressure washing if you buy a bigger unit.
I think I could do upholstery cleaning cleaning without a truckmount, correct?

Name
Andy Authentic
Yes and you can also do a pretty effective job of carpet cleaning without a tm too. Cleaning upholstery with a TM and dry tool can be less risky and provide superior results too.
With an efficient truckmount and with offering many services, how much after say 2 years as an owner operator (only myself) do you think I could be pulling in per year?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
With an efficient truckmount and with offering many services, how much after say 2 years as an owner operator (only myself) do you think I could be pulling in per year?
You could be filthy rich or broke as a joke.

Unfortunately it's not the equipment that will determine which way you would go. You are the determining factor. A tm can give you more confidence but to truly capitalize on your ability with a tm, you need the work to keep that machine running.

A new tm without a steady stream of work will only give you a headstart on closing your doors.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
A trailer with a good portable will be a decent setup for starting up. But in the future, when you want to upgrade to a truckmount: You'll need to budget swapping over to a van. For your cold region, just pulling the trailer to your job with not heat in it, has a risk of freeze damage. You can turn the heat on in the van while you're driving, but there's no heat circulating in that trailer on that 30min drive to work.

On your first few years, get a squeegee and clean some windows to help with cash flow. It's not big money, but it's more profit and can help. Get a window cleaning route at all the small stores and that extra $150-$300/day can help during the first rough few years. I ended up hating cleaning windows, because my carpet cleaning got too busy and just didn't work anymore, but I cleaned windows for over 7 of my first years. It helped

F

FB7777

You could be filthy rich or broke as a joke.

Unfortunately it's not the equipment that will determine which way you would go. You are the determining factor. A tm can give you more confidence but to truly capitalize on your ability with a tm, you need the work to keep that machine running.

A new tm without a steady stream of work will only give you a headstart on closing your doors.
Great advice

the dipshit truckmount sales reps will insist “if you build it they will come”

its actually the reverse

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I did the VLM only thing for several years before I bought a truckmount. I was part time and it worked out pretty well, but I can’t imagine doing this full-time without a truckmount. It’s just so much more efficient.

I’d probably rather use an OP machine and do VLM rather than use a portable though.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I did the VLM only thing for several years before I bought a truckmount. I was part time and it worked out pretty well, but I can’t imagine doing this full-time without a truckmount. It’s just so much more efficient.

I’d probably rather use an OP machine and do VLM rather than use a portable though.
Especially in those cold winter months up North. Plus it won't be wasted equipment when you do get a tm. Low moisture is great for commercial carpet cleaning and high rise where extended hose runs become impractical.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Marty is the grumpy old man that you can’t help but love, because he’s essentially disabled at this point. You’ll learn to love his personality, even though it’s useless.

Reactions: FB7777

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I ask this in the kindest way possible---

Have you done physically demanding work in the past?
How are you at handling difficult or complaining customers?
Do you have the honesty to pay up for your mistakes?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Don’t listen to the pad/VLM salesmen
Mikey included
tenor (5).gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom