Topeka cleaner remembered

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Any question as to whether the idea of the American dream is anything more than a myth may be answered by looking to the life of Topeka businessman Trinidad Chavez.

Born in Williamstown, a tiny railroad town northwest of Lawrence at the start of the Great Depression, nearly everything about Chavez's humble beginnings would suggest a life of hardship. As the oldest son, he was forced to abandon high school before graduation to help provide for his family.

"The unique thing about my dad was that he was the oldest of 14 children," said Daniel Chavez, Trinidad's youngest of two sons. "He grew up outside of Lawrence in a railroad car — his birth certificate actually said 'railroad yard.' He had to quit school in the 10th grade because, at that point, his family needed him to start working. He had to do his part with such a big family.

"I think that's why he's always been about getting things done."

By the time of his death last week at 82 years old, Trinidad Chavez had turned the business he started in his garage, Chavez Restoration & Cleaning, into one of the leading cleaning and disaster restoration businesses in the Midwest. The business, which is now owned and operated by his sons Daniel and Richard Chavez, utilizes about 25 vehicles and employs about 30 people specializing in fire and water restorations.

Daniel Chavez said his father knew from the beginning what he would face as a minority business owner. Because Trinidad knew some people would oppose having a minority working in their home, Chavez decided to keep his name on the business to avoid confusion.

"It could have just as easily been called Capital City Cleaners," Daniel Chavez said, "but it wouldn't have prevented that from happening."

Concern for his customers coupled with hard work and training helped his father's business grow, Daniel Chavez said. It wasn't a surprise then that their father sent his sons across the country for their own training in the family business, helping the business grow and add more services.

"He wanted to be good at what he did," Chavez said. "He actually cared. He wanted to make things better, whether that was someone with a dirty carpet or a house or business fire, we did our part to make the situation better."

But it wasn't until recently that Chavez said he learned his father's work helped more than just his own family.

"I had a gentlemen call out of the blue who said he runs a business in southeastern Kansas," Chavez said. "At first, I thought he was blowing smoke. He said he grew up knowing about my dad's business and at some point he thought, 'If he can do it, why can't I?'

"It's hard to know the extent (of how he impacted the community), but I was really taken aback. I thought at first he was trying to sell me something."

This story comes from the Topeka Capital Journal by Kevin Elliot December 21, 2010

Sorry for you loss Richard, Dan and family! Our thoughts and prayers are there for you and your families!

Doug D.
New Life Carpet & Furniture Cleaning
Spearfish, SD

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I was just on the phone with Richard last week asking for his assistance and insight. The Chavez family are great people.

My sincerest condolences.

Mark Saiger

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Richard I am happy that you had such a great influence in your life for such a long time. Rejoice and Celebrate your fathers life and legacy. I think you are doing a fine job representing what he started.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Congrats on having such a remarkable father, Richard. Deepest condolences for your family's loss.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Rich, I had no idea. Your father had and has a lot to be grateful for. Sounds like a great man.

Prayers.

Brian

PS. Richard has helped me out probably more than anyone on this board in more ways than one. He's a good guy and this board is a better place with him here.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Sorry to hear about your loss Richard.

those of us, that had a great father role model in our life -passing away- we feel your pain!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Our sincere condolences Richard to you, your family and friends.

You were indeed fortunate to have such a wonderful father.

I'm sure his influence has rubbed off on you greatly.

You mates down under,

Delia and Shorty.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
Sorry to hear of your loss Richard. It seems that your Father had a tough hand dealt, but made the best of it and won.

JeffC

Name
Jeff
My condolences go out to the Chavez family as well. I had the privilege of meeting his father several years ago.

A truly inspiring story, I wasn’t aware of his struggles early in life. Richard and his brother Daniel definitely reflect some of those same values their dad displayed.

JeffC

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Richard...
Sorry to here about tour Dad. He lead a good full life and lots of great memories behind to be remembered and shared

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
sorry for your loss richard
You was lucky to have him around and sounds like he was
a great mentor and father
randy.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Wow Richard I am so sorry for your loss and around the holidays no less. I know you won't have a Merry Christmas but please have more smiles than cries during this tough time. Try to pretend it is Crowley Thursday raise a glass and salute your Dad and hug your family.

Greg

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Richard, you are one of the finest people here running one of the best companies in your area. That is testament to your father's genius.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
He was a remarkable man Richard. I still remember my father telling me about him and how impressed he was by him so many years ago.

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Dan & Richard, Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. Things will never be the same again. I lost my Dad in 93 and I still miss him. Just a few weeks before he died he was telling me that he missed his Dad who had been gone 30 years. I guess my Grandpa had told him once that your not a man until your father dies. Looking back I believe that to be true. You are loved by a lot of people and that is a testament to your Mom and Dad. Our prayers are with you.

Name
Danny Strickland
having a father you could be proud to look up to is a gift to be treasured for generations to come!!!

May God continue to bless your family Richard.

Danny & Jessica

Name
Nate W.
Hey Richard, sorry to here about dad. What an insparational man! He'll always live on in you. I'm here for you buddy!

Nate

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom