Tough Choice....

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I did an interview with a restoration company that's developed a carpet cleaning side. Here was what was offered:
A salary of $48000 to start- room to move up there, both in position and money.
40 hour weeks, more if I want to do restoration work.
Medical, dental, extended health, long term disability
A new Prochem Everest in a new truck
OR
Stay with my present program- My business is doing pretty good, I'm making decent money and I like being my own man.

I'm going to chew it over this weekend and decide on Monday. I hate trying to figure out what to do.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
sounds like a decent offer...i guess it depends on how well you're doing with your own thing....but just remember, you're building someone elses company. But, probably nice to not have to write all those checks for your business..keep us posted.

Farenheit251

I would be leary. Resto companies boom and bust all the time. So many of the huge companies are a house of cards with massive debt. I've seen so many make promises that rarelyy work out. If they are running a sound business they need to pay you 20% so you need to bring in a quarter mil.
I would coonsider it but usually your future in your own hands is best.

Name
I'm Rick James
Its really tough to answer. How long have you been in business and what kind of money you making. I see that you have been in the industry for 30 years and probably been around the block. If you do the cleaning for your own business, you probably are not a big fan of it now?

2 options

Go work for that company and hope it works out. Peter was right, these types of businesses can go out of business and all your left with is nothing. Looking for work, in a economy that is not forgiving.

If you are a O/O, you can hire some kid out of highschool that is willing to work and learn for a decent wage. Build up your buisness maybe make that 48G's a year. Turn it into a turnkey operation then sell it and retire to an island with naked women or something like that.

I dont know your business status and you may already have employees and have a turnkey business. Look at what happen to Steve Boyce at coit. He built up the restoration department and they fired him. So it goes to show you when your working for someone else, your job is always on the line no matter who you are.

Good luck

The Preacher

and you were crapping on me for selling bowl mops???

i'd get a contract for 6 or 12 months, that way if they wanna kick ya to the curb it'll cost em!!!

gary mackay

I have been there twice & I listened to my gut which I don't do enough, they both folded. I really wanted it bad & I'm glad I made what I thought were poor decisions.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
LOL Mikey - It isn't all about the money. I do pretty good, but I also was thinking about a normal working life at 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday, instead of the weird hours I do now.It almost seems like it might be a nice change to not have to chase overdue accounts, use my carport for a car instead of an equipment warehouse, eat dinner with my family, and not put up with all the day to day stuff that we all do. Just punch a clock and cash a cheque.

BUT

I do love my independence and the rewards are better, as well as "being the boss". I've worked long and hard at cutting my piece of pie out and it would bug me to let that go. I have a good name and it seems a bright future, so there's pros and cons on both choices.

Mikey P

Administrator
I know what you mean Willy.

It would be sweet to not have to stress (and I do mean stress) where those winter jobs are going to come from.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Willy P said:
LOL Mikey - It isn't all about the money. I do pretty good, but I also was thinking about a normal working life at 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday, instead of the weird hours I do now.It almost seems like it might be a nice change to not have to chase overdue accounts, use my carport for a car instead of an equipment warehouse, eat dinner with my family, and not put up with all the day to day stuff that we all do. Just punch a clock and cash a cheque.

BUT

I do love my independence and the rewards are better, as well as "being the boss". I've worked long and hard at cutting my piece of pie out and it would bug me to let that go. I have a good name and it seems a bright future, so there's pros and cons on both choices.

Sounds like your mind is made up already! Like they said in an earlier response, get a contract.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Willy, you and I are rogues and we don't work well with others calling the shots.

You've spent 30 years making this your passion.

THIS is your legacy in life.

If you work for them your 30 year old business will go down the tubes.

After they fire you because of the asshole you are you'll be a broken man.

Look at it this way.

There are NO safe journeys in life..

This is your adventure.

And at the "End" of the day..........in your life..............you will STILL end up 6 feet under.

Will the other company let you smoke your weed in the local park at lunch time?

You are known world wide.

You are in Waldo's top 25 cleaners list.

You are a self made man.

You don't need them.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
48K is not that much when you consider your alternatives IMHO. 48K and benefits should be around 60K-65K... If you have a good grasp of your finances and overhead you could cut your work hours to equal what they offer, and work 40 or less hours for yourself.

If you produce $75 per hour and only work 20 hours per week (plus travel time) you would produce 75,000
30 hours of work @ $75 would produce $112,500
40 hours of work @ $75 would produce $150,000

Using the $100 per hour benchmark:
20 hour week $100,000
30 hour week $150,000
40 hour week $200,000

This is of course only an example, your hourly production rates may differ. When you work for someone else you can be fired ANY time, however if you build a quality business you can be assured you will always have a great job, friends, and a tangible asset IMHO.

G

No. the $48k is not for me but for this guy it could be a lot of money!

I make twice that much for the Michigan office!

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
LOL at Jimmy, but he's right, most of us would get fired the first days :)

Willy may be different.

Why you asking us Willy?. Do what you want.

Albert

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Jimmy made great points. Most companies now days treat people like dirt. How about look into more diversity in your own business or a little different way of doing things or expand your market.

the promises they made you smell like lies

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Considering the details you have given us, I would pass. You can do better on your own.

It would bug me too, to abandon a clientele I spent thirty years building.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Pushing a wand for someone else at your age will never work for you or them. To pay for your salary and bennys you will need to gross approx $200,000+ on there van. Are you up to that volume and can you accomplish that in 40 hrs working for someone else? Yes and no I'm sure. I'm pushing 48 and the back and my body could'nt handle it working for someone else. I quit and worked a sales job for someone else, you end up biting your lip alot waiting for their decisions instead of making the decisions yourself. (I quit & restarted my Business) If you were management and not on the truck maybe it would be worth it, but as a technician working for someone else HECK NO!!!! What Jimmy said IS very appropriate for once. :lol:

Chris A

Name
Chris
seems like a pretty high starting offer... I've never really worked for anyone though, personally I don't know how it would work out.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would take it IF they are hiring you as a manager, or with the intent of getting you off the truck.

If they are only hiring to do what you are already doing but at a pay cut then it's not quite as good a deal.

I wouldn't get rid of your business but work the management job and run your current business after hours.

You don't have to be the cleaner, hire a college kid and train him to do the work, you set him up, leave the work to him. Check on his work to maintain quality until you have confidence in him.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I hear up in Kanada that GAY orgies are popular and maybe you could do some to add to your BOTTOM line?

:shock:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Walrus said:
I hear up in Kanada that GAY orgies are popular and maybe you could do some to add to your BOTTOM line?

Gellee and man cobs move well up here?

You wuz right jimmy. i turned the job down, pretty much for a lot of the reasons you listed.

But you are The Walrus- Koo Kooka Koo!

dgargan

I'd stick it out with your own company and set it up to run with out you running around like a mad man. (SFS) hint hint

Hire a chimp stream line everything and have more time to do what you want.

It would suck to give up what you have worked for and then get booted after a year.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Could use that RESOIL and covert it to a mobile hotdog stand ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom