Tour of the Hydramaster CNG CDS @ Jon Don CAD

Becker

Name
Becker
That Steve is a pretty cool dude.

So I'm confused, Adding that to a van is $14,000?
50% of the cost of a new van?

60% fuel savings.. So, lets say $1.50 a gal savings. At about 9300 gals you's break even. That's 150,000 miles. or 6200 machine hours.

seems pricey

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The thing you have to be aware of is that you lose a certain amount of power going to CNG or Propane. My 25hp Kohler was actually only getting 21Hp. Its one thing to drive a Kohler but quite another to be running the whole van off it. CNG is less expensive but you go through a little more of it.
Then, again, be careful who is hooking it up. You don't want to run into govt snags like I did for a simple hookup.
The PRO's is that your engine will run cleaner and you won't have a lot of dirty exhaust. BC is looking at putting a LOT of CNG on the market in the next few years

rick imby

Name
Rick
Becker---you are forgetting this motor runs all the time the truck is working, not just mileage. If your fuel usage is 1/2 for travel and 1/2 for cleaning then this would pay off in less than 75,000 miles by your calculation---

Motor life will at least double compared to gasoline usage.

Ron---CNG, Propane, LNG are all different. CNG has more energy than gasoline not like propane and LNG which have less.

The computer used to run the motor in this van is completely designed by GM to work on both CNG and Gasoline. You do not have to aftermarket adapt this to work on CNG. This appears to be an aftermarket conversion so it will run on both gas and CNG.

Reactions: Mikey P

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Steve does seem like a cool guy and a great salesman. Does he come to the MF's sometimes? I ran those HydraMaster CDS's for several years in CO and they were almost totally problem free and cleaned just fine. The new ones are looking sharp!

It will be interesting to see the direction TM's go in the next few years. That vid may have given us a small glimpse into the future.

Very cool.

The Clean Machine

Reactions: Mikey P

Mike Draper

It's very unfortunate that our government has put so many regulations on CNG conversions that this option adds 14k to the cost. These politicians scream that we need to reduce our dependence on oil yet make it impossible for the average joe to do a CNG conversion. The reality is 2 tanks and the parts runs around $1.300 and then a few hours labor on top of that for CNG. Add the regulations and now it equals 14k or more. My friend is a certified CNG mechanic here in Utah. Truth is, America is to natural gas as Saudi Arabia is to oil. We should all be driving around CNG vehicles that cost the same as gasoline engines. Some day maybe.

Reactions: Chris A and Russ T.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Looks like they put a better coating on the tanks now, the old powdercoating was junk and flakes off after a few years

Mikey P

Administrator
At what point does earth go from a grape to a raisin?

Ya got to figure all that oil and gas is part of the integral structure...

Last edited:
Reactions: Becker

Becker

Name
Becker
Waste management, that picks up my trash runs their trash trucks on cng. As do done of the transit buses.

Cost wise I don't see it being worth it, not at 14,000. Yes I understand it is a CDS. I see a lot of CDS units out there with well over 100k miles and only 4k hrs.

I like it, however it looks like the tm/van set up is going to be starting at $100,000.

We've got no room for boring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom