Trade show Booths

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
I was speaking with an old friend this weekend and the subject of Trade Shows came up. He is on the fence regarding getting in a home show or opting out.

Although he is in a completely different industry, which I know little about (auto parts distribution) I still find great value in doing trade shows. I have had my share of good ones and been involved in a flop or two.

Often times the topic of Trade or home Shows comes up on Mikeys Board. There has always been excellent advice for those considering trade shows. I've attached a couple of videos from my previous business.

This year my newer business is scheduled for 4 shows throughout Mid-Missouri. 2 are Chamber of Commerce related, 1 is Insurance related an 1 is property management related.

Here is what I have learned;

To maximize your presence at any show, requires that you be creative and get engaged with attendees. We rarely stand behind a table. It's more effective to be in the aisle where you can meet people and start some dialogue.

Network with other attendees and who knows, some could be excellent cross marketing partners at a later date.

Have creative staff with high energy.

Quickly identify the booth kickers from the prospective clients.

For the home show leaches who are there simply for the trinkets like yard sicks, pens, coffee mugs or candy, move them past your booth as rapidly as possible.

Suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Here is what I have learned;
To maximize your presence at any show, requires that you be creative and get engaged with attendees. We rarely stand behind a table. It's more effective to be in the aisle where you can meet people and start some dialogue.
Network with other attendees and who knows, some could be excellent cross marketing partners at a later date.
Have creative staff with high energy.
Quickly identify the booth kickers from the prospective clients.
Excellent advice. The lame exhibit booths are the ones with disinterested staff staring at their cellphones while people walk by.

Here are a few (maybe too many) thoughts...

Before exhibiting at any show the first step is to rate the show to see if the expected attendees (or other exhibitors) are the people you want to make an impression on. Rate quality of attendee for your purposes over quantity, as making ten good referral contacts might beat seeing 500 that don't care about your products or services. (Many shows fudge attendance figures by large margins in an attempt to jack up their booth prices, so don't buy that smoke anyway.)
The next step is to have a purpose for being at the show. Are you looking to sell product? Book services for end-users? Referrals? Referral sources? A small show may not have a large reach, so you have to make up for that in the quality of the impression you make. A large show is helpful if you just want show you're a player in the big leagues. I doubt many exhibitors at an ISSA show make quality contacts with the thousands of attendees washing past, they're just putting a face on their company.
I recently staffed a booth at a show where we were only looking for referral sources from the other exhibitors. We wanted to be more solidly connected as a fellow exhibitor so we weren't seen as a non-prospect wasting their time. Our purpose was to get people that already knew of us to learn our complete line of services. Attendee interest was a bonus.
Our purpose at a smaller show was about being perceived as a supporter of the member organization behind the show. The organization was important to the members, the show paid most of their expenses, and the members were potential referral sources. We promoted the idea that, if referred by the members, our service would improve their status with our now mutual customer.

While at a show the staff has to have a plan as to how they engage. No uncomfortable eyeing of attendees!

Examples:
- An exhibitor holding a Nerf football (oversized pink tennis ball, etc.) catches someone's eye and tosses it to them. People look. Friendly chat with the other person about the product or service being offered, and if the nearest people move on the ball gets tossed to someone else, even an exhibitor across the aisle. If the ball is lost so what? It's marked with contact information. This isn't meant as a giveaway, but a good prospect is given the ball and a new ball goes into use.

- An exhibitor has a simple to play game and people are encouraged to play. (Putting a golf ball, table game, etc...) A simple question about the attendees needs is easily asked while playing and a little about how your product offerings might help, followed by an offer of a brochure. Let them walk away when they're ready! ...with a "come back by or call us if you have any questions..."

- If you're selling, have a limited number of actual products or services to sell only at the show and at a show-only price. A lot of people don't think they can sell anything at a show. They're wrong. The ability to take payment and book services in real time makes this easier than ever. You need to have adequate staffing though; you'll lose people to waiting in lines.

If you think a show will help but you don't have the personality to engage people, hire professional booth staff.

If you're worried about leeches, don't bother with cute giveaways.

You and your exhibit needs to be memorable. Wear the Great Oz white suit if that 's what it takes!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I attended a machine tool show at the request of a neighbor that was exhibiting there. Huge show, completely quiet except for one corner.
The exhibitor there had Seagals in their skimpy uniforms on a raised stage tossing out Seahawk Nerf footballs.

Not sure that worked all that well for them though. For the time they had girls there they had a crowd. The crowd was too big to have any sales interaction, the crowd wasn't there to see their stuff, and afterward no one could remember the name of the company - everyone called them the Seagals guys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom