transfer pump

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I have used the Shurflow pumps on all my machines. Most pumps last 8-12 months. This past year I have gone through 3 on one machine. I was getting them at Northern Tool because they had a warranty replacement program. Now they will not sell me the warranty because I go through too many. I have 2 questions. Is there a better pump and or can I redesign the Judson machine to not use a transfer pump and have it pull from the cat pump?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have had the same transfer pump for over a year so I don't understand why you are burning through so many. But to answer your question yes you can probley just run a hose from your fresh water tank directly to the the pump and it should work fine. The only thing I had to check when doing that is sometimes coming off the pressure regulator there is an overflow hose that goes back to the water box so carefully exam the plumbing system first. I bypassed the water box on my white magic and it really made life a lot easier. The transfer pump use to struggle to keep up when we cleaned tile but now that it is a direct feed its all good. The only thing I wonder when eliminating the water box is how to go about descaling or winterizing.

Scott Rogers

The only thing I wonder when eliminating the water box is how to go about descaling or winterizing.

Make a temporary waterbox out of a 5 gallon bucket. make the pump draw from the bucket then through the system avoiding your water tank all together then back into the bucket.

Reactions: Newman

Scott Rogers

I have used the Shurflow pumps on all my machines. Most pumps last 8-12 months. This past year I have gone through 3 on one machine. I was getting them at Northern Tool because they had a warranty replacement program. Now they will not sell me the warranty because I go through too many. I have 2 questions. Is there a better pump and or can I redesign the Judson machine to not use a transfer pump and have it pull from the cat pump?

Mytees transfer pump has had great reviews, http://www.mytee.com/products/c361-truckmount-transfer-pump/#.UecPdW1pi_I

$199.00

You’ve never seen or used a truckmount transfer pump like this! Its cutting-edge technology makes it your transfer pump of choice. Once you’ve used it, it’s the only one you’ll ever want!
Why choose the Mytee® Truckmount Transfer Pump?

• No accumulator needed, so you’ll save money and time by not having to buy or install an additional tank. Its intelligent circuit board reduces 10 amps to a .1-milliamp signal, preventing rapid cycling and the need for an accumulator. Other pumps accept 16 to 18 amps, which causes overheating and can drain the battery.
  • Prevents switch overheating and failure, so you won’t have to replace it. Other pumps start and stop at full power, causing switch damage. Its soft start/soft stop prevents damage.
  • Greater flow, higher pressure to keep up with any truckmount on the market. Its patented 5-chamber design produces 5.3 GPM, the highest in the industry.
  • Variable flow technology. It adjusts the motor’s RPM to keep pace with a high pressure pump’s flow demand, for optimum performance.
  • Runs on 12 volts. Conveniently uses the same power source as your truckmount tank.
  • Safety features, with industry first – a built-in, 40-mesh filter that prevents debris from clogging and damaging the pump, extending its life. It’s easy to remove, clean and replace in the field. Internal electronics are protected by circuitry embedded in the epoxy base plate.
  • Comes complete with two ½” 90˚ swivel elbowsthat quick connect and disconnect, no tools required. They lock securely into place, and spin 360˚ to any position. Connect to any ½” solution hose.
  • Virtually silent operation. With slower motor speeds and superior energy transmission, it’s up to 90% quieter than competing pumps.
  • All parts are made and assembled in the U.S.A.

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services 1

Scott Rogers

can I redesign the Judson machine to not use a transfer pump and have it pull from the cat pump?

Yes, should be easy to do. I did it with my accelerated. My cat pump draws from a 55 gallon drum and also bypasses back to the drum.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
cat pumps are designed to push not draw. The do draw but not much. Steam Way had to learn this the hard way when they put the water box below the pump. Here in Utah the pumps where burning through seals until we moved the water boxes up to allow gravity to work. So long answer yes the cat 3cp will draw but not far nor uphill. http://www.catpumps.com/products/pdfs/3CP1120_G.pdf

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I bypassed my water box and draw straight from my fresh water tank right into the cluster (I don't know what you call that cluster at the back of the machine) the water box used to feed into on my Powermatic 2100. I was going through transfer pumps every 8 months or so then Kelly (RIP) put a switch of a different kind and it lasted two years. Now I don't even need that.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley

Ummm. Actually, it depends upon the model. As a rule, Cat piston pumps (280, 290, for instance) draw well, while plunger pumps (3CP, 5CP, etc.) do not. So, the water supply should be closer to and not so much lower than the pump if it's a Cat plunger pump. And yes, it's even better to have the water supply located higher than the pump for plunger pumps.

Check Cat's literature for "Inlet Pressure" and you'll find that plunger pumps are typically listed as "Flooded" at the low end, which means that they recommend an unrestricted water supply source, while piston pumps are listed as low as "- 8.5 PSI". In other words, they can operate against a vacuum of - 8.5 PSI / 17" Hg.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
My transfer pump has an adjoining bladder that eases it on and off, making the pumps job easier. I am on my second pump but I've had the TM since summer of '08. I think I remember seeing the bladder and pump selling for @$400.

Russ Terhaar
The Clean Machine of Iowa LLC
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I use transfers with a demand shutoff and turn the pressure down on them.

Found it makes them last a ton longer.

Also, make sure you have a strainer/filter in front of it, doesn't take much junk in the water to start killing them quickly.

We get a year minimum, 2 years max.

pixeltim

Name
Tim
What is a halwin switch?

I put in a couple float switches and a couple relays. I have it set up so if the water level in the transfer tank is below the bottom switch, the pump comes on and runs until it triggers the top switch. Using the relays, it doesn't turn the pump back on until the level gets down to the bottom switch. I did it this way to keep the pump from cycling on and off too much.
I am confused as to why all these systems use a high pressure shut-off anyway, all we are doing is moving water to a mix tank that is placed higher than the cat pump, it's not under any water pressure other than gravity.
By using pressure shut-off only stresses the pumps and burns them out faster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom