Travertine 600-400 grit

DaveHNL

Name
David Dowling
I have around 1,100 square feet of 24" x 24" travertine tile installed in my condo. It was originally a honed finish, then was polished to around 600-800 grit (can't remember exactly).
The stone is in very good condition with only a few etch marks.

I'd like to bring it down to 400 grit.

Should I go with diamond pads or will something like Revive-Maxx 17" Stone and Concrete Polishing Pads with FERRZON be sufficient.

I had a sample piece of the travertine and wet sanded it with 3M 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. If I use diamond pads or something like the Revive-Maxx product, should I expect the sheen to be close to what the 3M wet/dry sandpaper achieved?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

DaveHNL

Name
David Dowling
Thank Rob, could you recommend a company that supplies the highest quality pads?

Thanks

Mikey P

Administrator
Have you tried just cleaning it with a strong peroxide based chem?

IMO that transforms most travertine to a 400 or so finish...

DaveHNL

Name
David Dowling
Here is a link to the pad you can use -

There is a distributor on Maui, but I am not sure if they have this in stock.
Cleaner's Warehouse
285 Hukililike St
Kahului, HI 96372

808 873-7077

I think Steve Blinder is the main stone guy there.

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
You're better off cutting it with a 220 resin diamond then using a 400 grit high quality diamond impregnating pad.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Crumbs, Ted, I thought you’d gone into the witness protection program! I still use your book for reference.

DaveHNL

Name
David Dowling
You're better off cutting it with a 220 resin diamond then using a 400 grit high quality diamond impregnating pad.

Thanks Ted.

When stone was originally polished from a honed finish to ~800, they used the resin diamond pads. Do you think I still need to go back to that step?

In your opinion, which company manufacturers the highest quality resin diamond and diamond impregnated pads?

Thanks

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
Here is a link to the pad you can use - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=ASP17BLK

There is a distributor on Maui, but I am not sure if they have this in stock.
Cleaner's Warehouse
285 Hukililike St
Kahului, HI 96372

808 873-7077

I think Steve Blinder is the main stone guy there.

When using these pads under a 175 on the travertine/limestone floor, do you do it dry or with wet floor

DaveHNL

Name
David Dowling
Thanks Larry, the guy that installed my travertine told me the original honed finish from the manufacturer was 220 grit - does this sound right?

I took a sample of the original stone and wet sanded it with 3M 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper - that's the sheen I'm looking for.

Will 400 grit diamond pads achieve the same sheen as 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper?

Thanks

Chris Brown

Name
Chris Brown
Dave,
I have used stone pros 400 grit diamond impregnated pads on several jobs. I agree with Rob. They are your best and most cost effective way to get the results you are looking for on your floor.

Todd Slamen

Name
Todd Slamen
whats the lipage on the floor you may want to put a white pad on top of the 400 grit diamond pad to help get a more even finish, I get a 7 in diamond pad for my corners and edges and sever lipage with a mikata 9227. Or you could order in 400 grit honing powder NS white pad

DaveHNL

Name
David Dowling
Lipage is minimal, probably less than a business card thick in a few places. Good idea using white pad on top of diamond pad. I have a Mikata 9227, so will use that for edges.

Thanks

Todd Slamen

Name
Todd Slamen
I always try to preform a sample for my clients usually laundry room completed, this way they can see exactly what I'm going to perform. Have to many think they want a honed floor when they really wanted a lesser gloss. Helps give they a visual finish area they can see and justifies my price when they see work involved.

DaveHNL

Name
David Dowling
That's a good idea.
I have read various descriptions of a honed finishes ranging from 220 grit to 800 grit - is there a standard grit that the stone industry uses or do they use one of those reflection meters to measure "honed"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom