TRAVOLTA"S SON KILLED BY CARPET CLEANING!!!!!!!!!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
If you have been watching the media (or if your customers have) the unfortunate death of Jet Travolta is now being linked to Kawasaki Syndrome which was brought on by carpet cleaning when Jet was a toddler.

Kelly Preston (Jet's mom)has been working the talk show circuit (Oprah)for years misguidedly warning of the dangers of carpet cleaning to the women of America.

Since Kelly is one that would never let facts get in the way of a good crusade and I won't be long until she renews her charge against carpet cleaning with a vengeance on Oprah again. We need to arm yourself with some facts to debunk this fallacy about KS and it's relationship to carpet cleaning.

I found this article on-line that you might find beneficial to read and make a few copies to use as handouts for your worried clients.

http://www.cleanfax.com/article.asp?IndexID=6634223

DAve Yoakum

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK...since MOST infants drink MILK...
i propose that he died from baby milk syndrom......

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
There could very well be problems associated with the chemicals we leave behind in the carpet and the infants and pets who lay and crawl on them. I tell customers that I use a fresh water rinse and the chemicals are removed as well as the soil. You really should also warn them about keeping crawling babys and pets off the carpet until it is completely dry. This issue (Kawasaki Syndrome) has been brought up occasionally over the years I have worked and will no doubt be reinvigorated anew with this high profile celebrity tragedy.

Kawasaki is someting you usually grow out of, I believe as scientologist they ignored the true problem..possibleautism or somehing else.

C Pennington said:
Kawasaki is someting you usually grow out of, I believe as scientologist they ignored the true problem..possibleautism or somehing else.

wow I need to hit the pREview button..lol

CapeCleaner

First, and foremost, the Travolta's - or anyone - losing a child is absolutely tragic and something that no parent should have to experience.

That said, I have to agree that anyone involved in carpet cleaning should educate themselves about Kawasaki Disease. Right or wrong, the issue will be touched upon in the news and people will then begin looking for information. Why worry about this?

I did a Google search for Kawasaki disease. Looked for what I felt would be sources for reliable information in the top results. Found a link - third one on the first page - to the American Heart Association. This provided a one page, unbiased synopsis of the disease and how it affects the heart. At the bottom of the page was a link to the Kawasaki Disease Foundation. Who wouldn't click on this link to find out more information?

The site provides some information about the disease but not a lot of background. So I clicked on the links page and found under the Medical section a link titled "Carpet Cleaners and Kawasaki Disease" (http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/edu ... ain_ID=443). This is where it gets good. Here are a few excerpts from the article: "When actress Kelly Preston’s son, Jett, was just 15 months old, he became very ill. Yada, yada, yada....Jett was diagnosed with Kawasaki Disease. In the hospital, Kelly was asked to fill out a questionnaire, which contained questions about family habits and activities. One of the questions asked if the carpets in their home had been recently cleaned. " It gets better. "Though the evidence of the relationship between Kawasaki Disease and carpet cleaners is not conclusive, there are plenty of other reasons to avoid using carpet cleaners in our homes. For more information, see Are Carpet Cleaners Unsafe?"

A Google search, four clicks of the mouse, and Mrs. P is reaching for the phone to cancel her carpet cleaning. Unfortunately, I think this has the potential of becoming a real scenario.

My suggestion is to educate yourself in order to respond intelligently and leave the emotion out of any possible discussion. It will pass but in the mean time we should be prepared.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Well shiver my timbers- I was doing a cleaning after a movie shoot a few years ago (Look Who's Talking 1, 2, 3...ad nauseum) in a very nice estate around here. Lo and behold ol' J.T. hisowndamnself was standing in the kitchen. Never was anything more than polite and quite friendly to me. Sad thing was, I missed Kirsty Alley by 10 minutes :(

Name
I'm Rick James
8)

So do you guys think that carpet cleaning and the chemicals that are mostly used are going to be thrown into the headlines?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Autopsy planned in death of John Travolta's son
By Juan McCartney
The Associated Press
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 01.03.2009
advertisement
NASSAU, Bahamas — An autopsy is planned for John Travolta’s teenage son, who died after apparently hitting his head on the bathtub while the family was vacationing at their home in the Bahamas, authorities said.
Jett Travolta, 16, had last been seen entering the bathroom on Thursday and had a history of seizures, Police Superintendent Basil Rahming said in a statement.
A house caretaker found the teenager unconscious in a bathroom late Friday morning. He was taken by ambulance to a Freeport hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the statement said.
Jett apparently hit his head on the bathtub, said a police officer who declined to be named because she was not authorized to speak on the matter.
Family attorney Michael Ossi said in a statement that Jett died suddenly on Friday. Publicists Samantha Mast and Paul Bloch released the statement but could not be reached for additional comment.
Obie Wilchcombe, a parliament member and former tourism minister in the Bahamas, said that an autopsy is planned for Monday, and “we expect a quick resolution.”
“John spoke with the minister of health and the doctors and police are at the hospital. They’re very, very quick to resolve things,” he said.
Wilchcombe said Travolta “spent a tremendous amount of time with Jett.”
“He always brought him along. There was a close affectionate relationship and lots of love,” Wilchcombe told “Larry King Live” in a live telephone interview. “People in the old Bahama community today are in shock.”
Travolta, 54, and his wife, actress Kelly Preston, 46, also have an 8-year-old daughter, Ella Bleu. The family had arrived in the Bahamas on a private plane Tuesday and was vacationing at their home in the Old Bahama Bay resort community.
Preston and Travolta have said that Jett became very sick when he was 2 years old and was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease, an illness that leads to inflammation of the blood vessels in young children. She blamed household cleaners and fertilizers, and said that a detoxification program based on teachings from the Church of Scientology helped improve his health, according to People magazine. Both Travolta and Preston are practicing Scientologists.
“I was obsessive about his space being cleaned. We constantly had the carpets cleaned,” Travolta said in a 2001 interview with CNN’s Larry King, a portion of which was rebroadcast on the “Larry King Live” show Friday night. During that interview, when Jett was 9, Travolta spoke of how his son nearly died when he was 2.
It is unclear whether Jett was taking any medications for his seizures.
The Scientology Celebrity Center in Los Angeles declined to comment.
A spokeswoman for Rand Memorial Hospital in Freeport said she could not release any information because of privacy concerns.
Travolta’s corporate and commercial attorney, Michael McDermott, said the actor had a very strong relationship with his son.
“There was unspoken communication between the two. ... It’s just so hard,” he said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. “Kelly is very quiet and both are grieving.”
McDermott said his family and other friends are with the couple in the Bahamas. The group came for a two-day New Year’s celebration and had planned to return to Florida on Sunday.
“We’re are all here and trying to help in any way we can,” McDermott said. “Their pain is so evident.”
Travolta, who gained fame as Vinnie Barbarino on the 1970s television show “Welcome Back, Kotter” and the 1977 film “Saturday Night Fever,” went on to become one of Hollywood’s biggest names. He married Preston in 1991.
A television actress, Preston appeared with Travolta in the 2000 film “Battlefield Earth,” based on a novel by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
If you don't educate your clients they will rely on other sources such as this posted by Yahoo news today:

"Los Angeles (E! Online) – Kelly Preston has said that she believes toxic cleaning products in her family's home caused her son's health problems early in life.

Jett, her 16-year-old son with husband John Travolta, who died suddenly Friday morning after suffering a seizure while on vacation with his family in the Bahamas, was hospitalized when he was 15 months old with Kawasaki disease, a rare illness that mainly affects young children. It's treatable but can have unforeseen complications, including lasting damage to the heart.

The boy's body will remain at Rand Memorial Hospital in the Bahamas pending an autopsy.

The direct cause of Kawasaki syndrome remains unknown, but some studies have shown a possible link between the disease and exposure to carpet-cleaning chemicals ".

Al

anyone ever known someone that had Lime Disease from a tick bite

You kiddin me?
Lyme disease was invented right down the street, in Lyme Ct.

Every time I take my dog's out someone gets a tick.

Shawn and I have had it but caught in the early stages, One of my dogs has it but was also caught early.

I know of one person who died from it and he refused treatment, many who have different health problems from Lyme Disease.

What's the correlation?

Name
Ron lippold
im just saying its a bad thing whatever happened. I know people that had deer ticks or something and got lime desiese and they are all messed up. With all that religion stuff who knows. Thats all im saying. sad :(

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I doubt it will come up, but I was in a class last year with a guy who claimed to do a lot of work for them at their air plane hanger home in FL. So they must have gotten over it.

Either way, tough time for them.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
If any of you remember Christine Hebert a regular poster on blue board.

David Heberts wife will inform you very well.Not only a nurse,but there son has had it for yrs now...

So if you need clarificaTIONS,information or just a questioned answered...Just ask...

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
The way I heard it years ago when Jett was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease, when he was admitted to the hospital Kelly was asked to fill out a questionaire just as other parents with Kawasaki kids. 4 out of 5 kids affected with the disease recently had their carpets cleaned. And if the rumors are true, most of them were cleaned by Stanley.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the question becomes:
WHAt chemicals?
What cleaning methods?
Just how well were the methods performed? ie splash and dash or worse or better
Out of all the carpets cleaned every year, all over the world, how many incidents of KS are there?

In univ stats class, if we wanted to prove that X caused Y, then we designed experiments to prove that X did not cause Y. If we could find ONE instance where X doesn't cause Y, then there was doubt. IF you could not find any instances where X did not cause Y, ie X always caused Y, then therefore, with a certain percentage of probability, X must cause Y.

The media and people are so quick to jump to a conclusion when there are 100000's of instances where X ie Carpet Cleaning did not cause Y-Kawasaki Synd.

Name
I'm Rick James
Great artical from Scott W. regarding K.S

Full story here. http://www.cleanprosonline.com/Kawasaki.html

Basically says:

Is there a connection to carpet cleaning?

The study of an outbreak in Denver in 1982 uncovered that, in 11 of the 23 cases, the carpet had been shampooed within 30 days before the symptoms.

This is higher percentage than would be expected in a random sample.

However, four subsequent investigations, as well as laboratory studies, have found no correlation between KS and carpet cleaning.

Of the 11 Colorado cases where carpet had been recently cleaned, most were do-it-yourself cleaning or spot removal. Only in one instance had professional carpet cleaners been used.

The Colorado outbreak occurred during April and May. This is the time when many families do spring cleaning, often including carpet cleaning.

One other study reported on by Cornell University Medical Center noted a statistical connection to carpet cleaning. Again, this was mostly related to do it yourself spot removal.

Cornell University Medical Center concluded that "In the 1960’s when Dr. Kawasaki first described the patients with this syndrome, traditional Japanese houses had tatami mats instead of rugs... It seems unlikely (outbreaks) would be related to rug shampoo."

In the conclusion of their report, The Children’s Hospital, Kempe Research Center, says: "Additional studies were also done that examined cleaning methods and product usage in homes of Kawasaki patients and controls. None of these studies were able to show an association between a single product or cleaning method and Kawasaki Syndrome."

In 1993, Dr. Donald Y.M. Leung and colleagues working at the University of Minnesota and the New England Medical Center reported in the British medical journal, Lancet, that they had identified a possible cause of Kawasaki Syndrome as a super-antigen produced by variant strains of two common bacteria – staphylococcal and streptococcal.

Recent reports, including one by Fox news, April 13, 2006, have suggested that carpet cleaning chemicals might be responsible for Kawasaki Syndrome.

No study of KS has ever suggested this connection, either by research study or statistical link. As previously stated, most researchers support a "super-antigen" as the most likely cause.

Dr. Leung, while working for the National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine in Denver, agreed that carpet cleaning is not the cause. He says, "The cause of Kawasaki Syndrome is unknown... and is almost certainly not caused by such hazards as recently shampooed carpet."

This artical answers alot of questions and misinformation.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Better not use laundry detergents on your clothes. They'er similar to carpet "chemicals".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom