Tried the crayons

jayjacques

Hi all. I got pretty excited when I read some of the crayon posts, because almost every week I run into spots of some kind on auto seats or carpet. Yesterday I gave the crayons a trial shot for heat-set fabric color repair. I had some dried water base paint-spot spills on my work clothes, so I thought that might be a good start to see what it would do. After applying the crayon colors on the stains and getting it to look as hidden as possible, I then tried ironing through a clean towel. That kept bleeding back, so I then tried a hair dryer. That seemed to keep the coverage on as it set, though darkening some. But then when I used a fingernail test to see if it truly set in, it quite easily scraped off.

So the question is "Was I doing something wrong, or is it just because it won't work over dried paint or on a smooth material such as pants or shirt?" Thanks in advance for your answers.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Jay, I too tried crayons on a newish cotton towel that had bleach marks on it. Nothing I did set the colour and it washed out easily. I haven't tried crayons on carpet yet but will do some trials on some remnants this week. You would think that if it's going to work on carpet it would work on other fabrics as well though. Thanks for reminding me :)

harryhides

Name
Tony
Good grief you guys, why would you try this on fabric ?
Maybe it might work on your fry pan?

There are plenty of perfectly good fabric paints and dyes available at any art supply store.

jayjacques

harryhides said:
Good grief you guys, why would try this on fabric ?
Maybe it might work on your fry pan?

There are plenty of perfectly good fabric paints and dyes available at any art supply store.

I guess I misunderstood your previous posts on the subject. What are crayons good on then if not fabric or carpet?

harryhides

Name
Tony
I've never mentioned anything except carpet when talking about the use of crayon.

Keep in mind there are some crayon brands that work better than others.
Also this system works better on some types of carpet than others and like a mustard stain the color added from crayon WILL fade in direct sunlight.

Hope that helps.

Cousin

Crayons are kids play things, never intended for a professionals tool box.

But with patience, a true expert will understand their usefulness.

Don't give up guys, but also don't expect a magic wand.

M

ksokalski

Couple of things. If you found that the crayons did not adhere to the fabric at all, I would recon that the fabric is probably polyester?

It really doesn't matter what type of weave that you are working on with any dye repair, it matters the type of material.

Nylon and Wool are really the only two fibers that you will have the most success with. Cotton too I would imagine, but I have never done and color repair on Cotton.

Although I have not added dye sticks (crayons) to my aresenal yet...keep in mind that the wax is the carrier of the dye so that you have more control over the dye over a liquid. However, you will find that dying basics of what can and cannot be died are probably not going to change.

For any of you that have used crayons on a regular basis...(Harry, Steve, John...?) please feel free to let me know if I wrong in anyway here.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The whole idea is to use it with polyester. Cus' it has an affinity or absorbs oil. Such as the melted parafin wax.

Ever try to get an oil spot out of a polyester shirt ? Not happening!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom