Triflow tl650 bearing

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
6a4ybu7a.jpg

Picked up this tl-650 (prochem labeled) for a song, just needs a new bearing on the front slave shaft.

What would have caused this? Normally the drive shaft craps out.

Also the drive shafts bearing is roller type, whereas the slave shaft is a ball bearing... Why the differance?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
couple things would cause that...belt to tight...dirt......lack of grease....kinda looks like the ball is pitted a bit....if it is then it was probably the lack of grease....

type of bearing generally depends on the type of load....

for instance...when I was rebuilding motors....ball bearing were used for lighter loads and roller bearings were use for the heavier loads......

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
It's a Dual splash blower, wasn't a whole lot of oil when I drained it... So im assuming that is the culprit!

I may stick a roller bearing in if it can handle greater load.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
It's a Dual splash blower, wasn't a whole lot of oil when I drained it... So im assuming that is the culprit!

I may stick a roller bearing in if it can handle greater load.

just put back what you pulled out...some times switching them over is not always a good plan...there has only been a few times that I have switched from a ball bearing over to a roller type in 3 phase motors that I can honestly say that it was worth it.....it is strictly because of the load that it really makes a difference....these motors were actually pulling a load while turning......your blower is not pulling a load...it is free spinning........

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The front plate is bad and it won't hold a seal and will leak oil and you will be right back where you started. I have a stack of these blowers like that. Didn't you wonder why you got it cheap? Should have called me it is useless

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Front plate? The plate that meets with the lobes?

no the front housing that has the oil seal. It is bad tooling. No matter how many deals you put in they will all fail and you will lose all your oils and burn up your bearings and no you can't buy the front cover. I have 6 or more blowers around here if you want them ill even sell them to you cheap.

gardner Denver had a run of blowers that someone missed that the tooling needed to be replaced and the front seal would fail and if you didn't pay close attention it would lose all the oil and burn up. We replaced at least 10 ourselves. Cost Prochem and Gardner Denver a butt load of money but they made good in them as long as they where noticed during the warranty period. It was only a 3 month window of machines and we found them all really fast as they would start to leak at about 60-70 hours only one person screed themselves because she went the Kelly and not us and didn't come back for 2 1/2 years after her blower gave up the ghost. Kelly had just kept adding only instead of saying anything. Sucked but it was her fault for bringing it to us when it was under warranty. One I didn't even care to try and fight for.

Last edited:

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I'll take them, this will be my 3rd Triflow rebuild, but the first that didn't have a failed drive bearing.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The seat was drilled off so the seal wouldn't stay. It wasn't much just enough that they wont hold. Some lasted 60-70 hours and a couple made it 300 or more. It starts with a slow leak but it will fail completely. You can replace the seal and it wil fail again and again. There is no fix as GD doesn't sell the front cover alone. If they did I would have a bunch of very low hour blowers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom