Trouble with a new transfer pump, please help!

Jerry

Supportive Member
Hey guys, 2 weeks ago, my transfer pump on my water pond stopped in the middle of a job. I ordered a new one from Saffire. They started using a Aquatec pump on all the new water ponds instead of the Flowjet. So, I hook up the Aquatec 2 wire tranfer pump and it will not prime.

I called Saffire and they suggest moving it to the front of the pond low on the floor. They thought maybe it was having a tough time drawing water up to the pump, so now it would be more or less gravity fed. They pump did the same thing, would not prime, run for a little bit, then stop. They sent a new pump, so I replaced it and it ran fine, but now this one will not stop running! Saffire says run the machine until they figure out whats going on. I ran it that way for two decent jobs(about 4 hours total) and Thurday it stops pumping halfway through the job, I got nothing.
I think maybe it overheated due to never stopping? It seem to me that there is no "demand" switch to this Aquatec model. Everyone is stumped, and its getting very frustrating as I am having to hook up to outside water source and feed the machine direct in this winter weather. Are we missing something? It was a simple red wire to black wire swap out, nothing else changed?
I appreciated any ideas or comments, as I am installing a third pump this afternoon!
Thanks!
Jerry

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Hey guys, 2 weeks ago, my transfer pump on my water pond stopped in the middle of a job. I ordered a new one from Saffire. They started using a Aquatec pump on all the new water ponds instead of the Flowjet. So, I hook up the Aquatec 2 wire tranfer pump and it will not prime.

I called Saffire and they suggest moving it to the front of the pond low on the floor. They thought maybe it was having a tough time drawing water up to the pump, so now it would be more or less gravity fed. They pump did the same thing, would not prime, run for a little bit, then stop. They sent a new pump, so I replaced it and it ran fine, but now this one will not stop running! Saffire says run the machine until they figure out whats going on. I ran it that way for two decent jobs(about 4 hours total) and Thurday it stops pumping halfway through the job, I got nothing.
I think maybe it overheated due to never stopping? It seem to me that there is no "demand" switch to this Aquatec model. Everyone is stumped, and its getting very frustrating as I am having to hook up to outside water source and feed the machine direct in this winter weather. Are we missing something? It was a simple red wire to black wire swap out, nothing else changed?
I appreciated any ideas or comments, as I am installing a third pump this afternoon!
Thanks!
Jerry

it may be wired backwards....just because it was wired one way on the flowjet..does not make it the same way on the new one...that would answer the lack of prime...not shutting off and the over heating..........

Jerry

Supportive Member
Could be Jim, the tech support at Saffire said to hook it up that way, I asked if I should switch them around and he said that the pump would run backwards and not pump any water. I can get it to pump water, but it just wont prime up and stop like the demand pumps I've had before. I will mess around with it later today and see if it will start running again. To test it, I disconnected from the machine and took the quick connect off so it would have free flow, therefore eliminating any questions about the water box, float, etc.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
On the flowjets, if you stand the pump up so you are looking down on the pump assembly side, you will see a little round removable dome. Under it is a screw adjustment so you can set the pressure you want the pump to turn off at. So when it builds the needed pressure, it stops.

I am not aware of any demand pump that doesn't have some sort of a pressure switch mechanism. That is where I'd start.

Look for that switch, then see if it has adjustment. Usually they have a spring under them and they are standard threading, counterclockwise will lower the pressure.

Turn it on, get it pumping, turn the screw counterclockwise until it stops (without taking it the whole way out).

From there dial it in as needed.

Reactions: Newman

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Maybe they sent you a pump with a internal bypass built in (runs all the time) instead of a demand pump.
I only use pumps with internal bypasses unless it has a bladder tank to absorb the shock.
Demand pumps just don't hold up well on most mix tank applications with the short on/off cycle to fill the tank.

Reactions: Newman
Name
John LaBarbera

Thanks!
Jerry

I'm don't know how to say this with out sounding self-serving, so I'm apoligizing in advance if it comes across that way. I believe you are using the wrong pump. Go to the mytee.com and search truck mount transfer pump (C361) You should be able to mount on top of your tank and it should prime easily. You may want to use a foot valve (suction strain with a check valve installed) to hold the prime. This is a 12 volt pump and I do not think it can be wired backwards. This Mytee pump has circuitry located in the base so that the pressure switch does not burn out premature from frequent cycling.

Jerry

Supportive Member
Saffire has sent me three pumps so far, all the same model number. Frustrating because it should be a 10 minute fix. They have been great with customer service and trying to figure out the problem, but I agree, it has to be the wrong replacement pump from the get go

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
well let me ask a dumb question here.....why don't you TM builders out there utilize a pump that would suck a watertank bone dry,,,,,,,,is it cost or that yous jus don know of any?

FredC

Village Idiot
I'm don't know how to say this with out sounding self-serving, so I'm apoligizing in advance if it comes across that way. I believe you are using the wrong pump. Go to the mytee.com and search truck mount transfer pump (C361) You should be able to mount on top of your tank and it should prime easily. You may want to use a foot valve (suction strain with a check valve installed) to hold the prime. This is a 12 volt pump and I do not think it can be wired backwards. This Mytee pump has circuitry located in the base so that the pressure switch does not burn out premature from frequent cycling.

John,

What is your opinion of this pump...thinking about getting one

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-...=1358679047&sr=8-2&keywords=johnson+pump++5.2

Reactions: BLewis

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey Fred, I looked at the pump above wouldn't the 12V model be your best bet!

Fred or anyone, could any of these other pumps be used for an APO or is it to much trash and gunk going through them?

Name
John LaBarbera
Hey Fred, I looked at the pump above wouldn't the 12V model be your best bet!

Fred or anyone, could any of these other pumps be used for an APO or is it to much trash and gunk going through them?

Will pump filtered gray water.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Well, I got my flowjet back up and running today. Decided to further investigate while I was awaiting my mytee motor from Bridgepoint. Upon closer examination in the daylight I noticed that just the switch had caught on fire and burnt up, luckily for me I had purchased a spare switch ($50) for replacement. So I replaced it and she is good to go. I'm still going to switch the POS Flojet to the Mytee C361 cuz I know the flojet will only go down again it's just a matter of when!
photo-50.jpg

Jerry

Supportive Member
I found a replacement Flojet pump new in the box from my old truckmount setup today, I am going to hook it up tomorrow to see what happens. It is a 2.8 gpm va the current 4.6 but it worked fine for my powerclean. We will see!

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Not to sound stupid but why do you need a pump? I assume you are feeding your tm pump from a water tank? Why not just gravity feed? That's how my butlers are set up.
I'm not being a smart ass I'm just wondering for personal knowledge
Thanks

Jerry

Supportive Member
No problem Dave, The transfer pump on my machine feeds the water box from the water pond via a large quick connect. Do you think it would have enough pressure to feed it without the quick connect, or when the water pond gets low on water?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Is your pump properly fused?
Well, I got my flowjet back up and running today. Decided to further investigate while I was awaiting my mytee motor from Bridgepoint. Upon closer examination in the daylight I noticed that just the switch had caught on fire and burnt up, luckily for me I had purchased a spare switch ($50) for replacement. So I replaced it and she is good to go. I'm still going to switch the POS Flojet to the Mytee C361 cuz I know the flojet will only go down again it's just a matter of when!
photo-50.jpg

Jerry

Supportive Member
Well, I think we came to the conclusion that we have a short on the ground. WhenI hooked up the pump directly to the battery, it ran. I have power all the way to the pump checked with a wire tester. What/how is the easiest way to find the short? Sorry, electronically challenged, so bare with me:errf:. There are not alot of connections to the wiring, so it should be simple, right? Thanks for any help!
Jerry

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I spend less than a hundred bucks on my Flojets and I get numerous years out of each one I buy.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Use an ohmmeter to check continuity. Start where the ground is attached to the frame and work your way to the pump.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Well, I think we came to the conclusion that we have a short on the ground. WhenI hooked up the pump directly to the battery, it ran. I have power all the way to the pump checked with a wire tester. What/how is the easiest way to find the short? Sorry, electronically challenged, so bare with me:errf:. There are not alot of connections to the wiring, so it should be simple, right? Thanks for any help!
Jerry

I would just rewire the pump.
Quicker and easier.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
No problem Dave, The transfer pump on my machine feeds the water box from the water pond via a large quick connect. Do you think it would have enough pressure to feed it without the quick connect, or when the water pond gets low on water?

i have run the butler just about dry and never starved for water but that runs direct to pump not a water box..

on my new tnt i am having d i c k remove the water box and run a line direct to the pump so it can be a gravity feed as well..he loved the idea of having one less part to worry over..maybe something to think about..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom