Truckmount gurus- I need your help.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
'05 Powerclean Genesis 59- Nissan Engine.

I've been dealing with an intermittent shutoff issue for the last week and I've about hit the end of my rope. It will shut down for no apparent reason. It will shut down 8 times one day and 1 time the next. It will start right back up and run for any given time. I've replaced the coolant sensor with no luck. Powerclean tells me that the tank float and coolant sensor are the only things they put on the machine to shut it down. I'm considering buying a computer for it but the price tag is 850.00 !! WTF??? Give me your opinion if there might be somewhere else to look. Thanks.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
APO? I'm guessin' high limit float switch in waste tank...test wit a continuity tester...everyone should have one!

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
Does it have Zeems fuel injection??
Could be a map sensor in the computer for the injection or a code issue

I would call Zeems first

Vince

Name
Lee Stockwell
Loose wire somewhere. Double check....

When all else fails, run a NEW hot wire to ign module, fused and w/ a switch. (just to finish a job in a pinch)

Thanks,
Lee

R

R W

Steve....I have the 03 Genesis, Ford engine, carberated. I have an occational shut down for no apparent reason. Usually happens on the hottest days....maybe vapor lock?? I also think my "Tattletale" shutdown switch is wearing out. The loose wire suggestion could also be it. My 405 Performer had the same problems many years ago. I was ready to throw a match to it, but it turned out to be a loose wire on the coil that would seperate from the terminal. I tightened it, soldered it, and it never shut down again.

That's a tough problem to diagnose.

Name
steve snail
When all else fails, run a NEW hot wire to ign module, fused and w/ a switch. (just to finish a job in a pinch)

sounds like good advice to me.

Does the tm start right up when you go out to restart it?

Greenie

I'm with the guys pointing at Fuel....Hot summer days make vapor lock more common. Did the 05 machines have fuel injection, I'm thinking they were all carb?

Good comment on tattle tale switch, a loose wire is always a possibility.

Name
steve snail
''
test wit a continuity tester...everyone should have one!

Hey Bob,

could you give us mechanically challenged, the readers digest version on purpose of a continuity tester.

Thanks

Bob Foster

two things
Did it shut down fast or falter and shut down

I suspect an intermittent grounding of the float switch wiring a likely if it was fast shut down. Slow shutdown - hope it isn't the brain.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK Steve...A continuity tester is an item that is sometimes called a circuit tester, however the difference being.... one supplies it's own power to detect a short and the other uses the power of the device being tested......I use the circuit tester the most as it will spot a shorted out wire rather quickly.....

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I guess i jus assumed that every one would at least have one......i would want a circuit tester before any other tool i could think of!

Spurling

I have a TM that used to shut down in the middle of cleaning .. I repaced the ignition switch and the fuel pump .. it was still doing it ..I even pulled the gas tap out to see if something was clogging it .. come to find out .. the fresh water float switch that shuts down the machine when your water level is too low , was faulty .. so I cut the wire to that and never had a bog out or shut down since then.

Spurling

I never run out of water . I have a good idea how long my water lasts .. I always hook up on jobs with more than 3 rooms ..

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I don't know what it sounds like when it shuts down but I'm guessing it just dies. It will start up right away, so I've ruled out the overheating. It hasn't been that warm lately. Powerclean said if the float switch was bad, it would start and then die right away. It doesn't have a lower water switch nor does it have a tattletale switch. Keep the ideas coming guys.

Spurling

maybe it is a loose wire .. ground or maybe battery connection or weak battery .. corrosion ..switches ..relay switch .. maybe the gas needle valve has some debris interupting the operation of gas flow ..not sure if your mount has one .. mine does

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Doug, My first Powerclean unit had a the same problem. I tried everything and could not find it. Finally I went down to PCI and Ryan found the problem in 15 min. It was a broken wire in the harness. Specifically it was for the low oil pressure shut down. Don't know if it's your problem but being an intermitant thing makes me think it something like it.

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
We have a ford engine on a steamaction machine. Check the plug wires, ours was jumping and grounding out causing it to die. just run it with low light and look for a flash off the wire.

Good luck!!
Tony

frank

Name
frank pulido
Doug
I have same problem mine is been doing that and my mechanic is trying to find the problem, I put a new computer but no luck at all. I'm going to suggest the float switch but was not the computer, don't go that direction, I let you know if he find anything.
Frank
www.pulidoscc.com

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Disconnect the tank float and run the system for a day. If it stops shutting down, you'll know that's it. Be sure to monitor the system extra- closely with regard to what the tank float is supposed to do, while it's disconnected.

If no change, do the same thing for the coolant sensor.

If no change, then it's probably a loose wire somewhere (i.e., a connection being lost), or one that's intermittently grounding and killing the system (i.e a connection being made, that shouldn't). For either of those, you'll have to trace them down through the system wiring. Probably better to get a new wiring harness, than trace and repair that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom