Truckmount Mechanic Gurus?

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
Let me say upfront that I am not real mechanically inclined. A weird thing happened tonight at a commercial job. My Boxer 421 had been running for maybe 10 minutes while I was laying out hose. I can back to mix my solution and say something glowing, it was dark out, so I turned on my dome light and it turns out to be the pipe that comes out of the back of the motor by the sparkplug, I think it might be the manifold and goes to the silver box on the top right of the Boxxer, I think it is the upper heat exchanger. Anyways as soon as I throttled down it cooled off. I knew it wasn't normal so I reset the job and will take it to the mechanic tomorrow. Other then the pipe hot everything seemed to run fine.

Does anyone know what the hell was cause this pipe to glow like that?

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
missing manifold wrap, tune-up needed or a stuck valve would be where I would start.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
A weird thing happened tonight at a commercial job. My Boxer 421 had been running for maybe 10 minutes while I was laying out hose. I can back to mix my solution and say something glowing, it was dark out, so I turned on my dome light and it turns out to be the pipe that comes out of the back of the motor by the sparkplug, I think it might be the manifold and goes to the silver box on the top right of the Boxxer, I think it is the upper heat exchanger. Anyways as soon as I throttled down it cooled off. I knew it wasn't normal so I reset the job and will take it to the mechanic tomorrow. Other then the pipe hot everything seemed to run fine.

Does anyone know what the hell was cause this pipe to glow like that?

Exhaust pipes from air-cooled engines will glow red in dim light.

It may be normal for your engine.

A check of spark plugs will tell you if it's overheating.

It's a Briggs :oldrolleyes:

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: tmiklethun

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
missing manifold wrap, tune-up needed or a stuck valve would be where I would start.

Thanks Dan, I am hoping it is something as simple as that . In the last three years I have replaced the motor, both heat exchangers and almost had to replace the blower. Every time something happens it seems to be a couple grand. So a tune up sounds great.

FredC

Village Idiot
Exhaust manifold (what you are looking at)

You just notices something you normally don't...........not uncommon
Improper manifold design
Improper AFR.........different causes....rich will burn when hitting hot spots causing combustion in exhaust.............lean causes excessively high temps at combustion....

Edit: OH AND possible restriction to exhaust flow though HEs

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Thanks Dan, I am hoping it is something as simple as that . In the last three years I have replaced the motor, both heat exchangers and almost had to replace the blower. Every time something happens it seems to be a couple grand. So a tune up sounds great.

It sounds like You need something more reliable thats not busting the piggy bank.

Or a new mechanic that isn't taking vacation's on you every time you go in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
Yep is was nothing. So crazy I have done night work for years and never seen it before. Now I am feeling like a fool for postponing that job. Don't think I will tell my client that everything was fine though.
Thanks to all who replied

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
When is the last time you did a tune-up? If its been a while I would change out the plugs and air cleaner and do an oil change regardless. Though it is normal for them to get hot and glow properly gapped plugs and fresh air into the motor will help it burn as clean as possible. The oil change is just because its probably time anyways. Remember you run the living piss out of that motor on every job and the reality is the motor is a disposable one anyways.

Back
Top Bottom