Truckmount, Rear or Side ?

John Spezia

What would be the best place to mount a TM in a 2006 E250? In the rear or the side. I want to put it in the rear so the hose reel can be right next to the TM and give me more space behind the seats.

What do you Guys think?

Matt King

I like working out the back as well. I suppose it's a personal preference thing. If you have a larger machine though, you're probably best running it out the side for the best weight distribution.

GRHeacock

My preference was to work out of the back too.

Another point is- the latent heat from the machine is further from the driver after the job.

Having the hoses come out the side door, I thought was easier to deal with.

Gary

Name
Lee Stockwell
We've run them several combinations side and back door. My favorite was having all reels and machine out the back doors...especially for residential. It seemed to greatly reduce setup times.

Right now our two biggest machines are running out the side and I grumble about wasted space. We weren't comfortable about 1200# behind the axle and emergency handling.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
In what world are you going to fit a TM AND a hose real next to each in the rear of a van. I want to see that happen.

Name
Lee Stockwell
54" opening. Skinny tall (16x49) vac reel ceiling mounted on driver's side, solution and water feed hose rack tight to passenger side. Machine just to the passenger side of center in the middle. It can slide out onto a rack that snaps into the receiver hitch. Waste and fresh tanks along driver's side ahead of the reels. Plenty of access from side door for either maintenance or "stuff".

Billy

Name
BH
Lee Stockwell said:
We've run them several combinations side and back door. My favorite was having all reels and machine out the back doors...especially for residential. It seemed to greatly reduce setup times.

Right now our two biggest machines are running out the side and I grumble about wasted space. We weren't comfortable about 1200# behind the axle and emergency handling.

Lee it was nice meeting you & your wife the other day.

As for space just get your wife to let you buy an Aero Tech :D

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The 250 is on the light side if your going to have on board water over one of the wheels to. Rear mount is great for day to day operations but it makes it almost impossible to work on, especially if your on the large side yourself. If I have to do anything other than regular maintenance I first have to pull the machine. A sliding rack would be great.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've always owned TCS units and thus have always had the machine at the side door, and hoses coming out the rear doors. I like it that way, ok ... but I think having live reels coming out the side, like Butler does, might be a really good way to operate and get fast set-up times.

The more I do this, the more I come to understand that time is of the essence. It's not so much the heat, or the pressure, or the amount you charge per s.f. that matters.

It's how fast it takes you to make the carpet look clean that matters.

Some things to think about

(1) With the machine mounted out the back, it will cause the van to drive differently. A little squirly if you will.

(2) If you back into a driveway you must remember to not have your exhaust blowing into a door, window or the garage.

(3) When your waste tank is full, that's a lot of weight on the rear. See # 1

(4) If you were to get rear ended, the machine most likely would get totaled too.

Hope this helps. I have had both ways and prefer machine and hoses out the side and the back open. Some machines are too wide for this. The next best is machine out the side and hose reel out the back on the same side as machine. All chems and tools to the other side. Middle open.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I looked at Billy's econoline and I liked the way he had the hose reel and the tm out the side door. I like that it will leave the back completely open. I have a project now for christmas break. Billy did you like it that way?????

Mister Sir 8)

FastEddie

Doug Cox said:
In what world are you going to fit a TM AND a hose real next to each in the rear of a van. I want to see that happen.

Rear for me, and to answer your question, it can happen.

CIMG2235.jpg
[/img]

Billy

Name
BH
Jay DeLaughter said:
I looked at Billy's econoline and I liked the way he had the hose reel and the tm out the side door. I like that it will leave the back completely open. I have a project now for christmas break. Billy did you like it that way?????

Mister Sir 8)

Thanks we used it that way first without the sub mount water tank then with a side mount water tank & finally with the custom designed & made sub mount water tank.

It has been great to work out of I designed it the way I did so that I could have as much usable space as possible. I also wanted to cary allot of hose, equipment etc.

One note it isn't a standard E250 it has had suspension work done due to an unscrupulous salesman telling me it was more than enough before I knew anything about vans.

If you have any questions or need any help with it just let me know or feel free to give me a call. If you decide to go this way you will like it allot. Very easy to work out of for a van setup.

Back
Top Bottom