Truckmount winterization

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
What is the best way to winterize a butler system? What I did tonight was as follows: I drained my fresh water tank,I then took the hose that goes from the freshwater tank to the Cat pump and put it in a jug of window washer fluid. I turned on the system and opened the hot water courtesy valve when the water coming out of the valve was blue I shut down the system. What do you think?

Thank you

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The answer depends on whether you are winterizing for the night, the weekend, or a vacation(long term).

The length of time dictates the method, either by chemical(antifreeze), by heat (a low btu space or conduction/radiant heater), or by thorough water drainage.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Did you open your chem feed line all the way to allow washer fluid access into the injection areas?

Then shut your valve whilst it is flowing washer fluid...

Also all tools should be removed as well as spare lines...

Did you run a simulator nozzle to your reel line to let the washer fluid run out...

Sounds like you need to call me...413 433 5938...

R

R W

John....are you shutting down for the season? Do you clean everyday? You've got to find a heated storage area....garage....and just keep the whole truck above freezing. It sure would be a pain in the arse to do that on a daily basis.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Two words: "Heated garage".

Island Boy

PS Carpet cleaning is a pain in the rear anyway in the snow/cold belt. After we moved into a warehouse were we could store and work on the trucks in a heated environment Colorado winters at least became tolerable. Of course, I literally had the tow truck service on a retainer basis. I believe our record was six trucks in the ditch in one week.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I agree with Steve, especially if this is a daily thing that you are dealing with all winter long for a daily regimen. You may however be able to get by with a small, safe space heater in the van that you plug in at night. You won't need much to maintain an environment above freezing, especially if it has a thermostat. Sure it will cost you some electricity, a few pennies a night. But it will be much less than the labor and chemicals you will have to do on a daily basis.

The great thing about a thermostat is that the heater electricity won't cost a dime when the temp never gets to the critical point. However, you will find yourself to have done unneeded chemical anti-freezes on some occasions.

Now, if this is a situation where you are storing the vehicle for a week, or even a week-end, you may want to ditch the heater and go ahead and use the washer fluid, or a glycol antifreeze, as the labor of a once done will outweigh the heater idea.

asupremeclean

IMO

I personally never run anything through the system. PITA IMO
All I do is put a small oil heater inside the van. This way I can keep all of my chems and tools in the van. Also I don't have to invest in a large garage heater that in the long run will cost more to use.

Now that all said. I do however plan on (when I build my new home) to have a large enough garage for 3 vans and WILL have the whole area heated. Right now I use a kerosene heater when I need to do repairs and such.

TimP

I personally don't live in an area of great concern. However it will get down to 20 degrees here a couple nights of the year. When it's supposed to get down below 32 I'll park it in my garage just to make sure. I've never had a problem nor needed to add heat. I'm sure glad I don't live where it actually gets cold.

I think the experts above gave some awesome advice. Funny thing is I do have a winterizing kit with my TM still in a plastic bag, I guess it's good to have if I sell it and the person buys it who lives in a cold area.....

Back
Top Bottom