Truckmounted..computers...???

Bob Foster

bubbacomputer.jpg

hogjowl

Idiot™
I want to mount my laptop in my V, so I won't have to come back to the office to waste my time on Mikeys Board.

What is, or who has, the best internet connection service for those on the move?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Aspire ONe, I have it on every job.I carry it right in my man purse along with spotters, blocks ,pads and phone. I don't use the internet, it's just a fad anyway.

Gene

Name
Ron lippold
my little notebook from VERIZON for 200 dollars HAS MADE ME WAY MORE MONEY THAN I SPENT ON IT. Great service fast and its not me telling the client how much it cost, its the computer so it must be right. do that over the phone. my job adverage is about 400 give or take a few $

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
internet service wireless verizon i have had for several years
no complaints works everywhere pretty decent
60 bucks a month unlimited service
As far as a laptop joe i had a hp was ok
a toshiba before was good
this one is a dell seems to be good too
All of them have seen trips to the floor from the pass seat
with no harm

harryhides

Name
Tony
A few years ago I saw a really well organized van and cab.
Guy's name is Scott Kentfield, very nice guy, class act.
His contact info is on his profile on ICS.

KScottdriverview.jpg

Gary T

For me a Sony Vaio 11.1" laptop(full computer not a netbook), Canon i90 printer, Sprint usb wireless modem $50 a month. Also a mount from www.ram-mount.com/. similar to the one in the pic above.

Driguy

if any of you out there have an iphone and don't mind jail breaking it. there is a $10. app that will give you free wifi as long as you have 3g coverage.

i used that with my Toshiba netbook when i'm out and about.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
If you have verizon get the new droid and download an app called PDANET. It will allow you to tether to a laptop and use the 3g service. Would save you $50 a month if you already pay for smart phone service.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
I'm glad all you guys work in these upscale areas were you can keep all that high tech computers. Most of the places i work they'd smash out the windows and "gank that shit" :lol:

Gary T

It will allow you to tether to a laptop and use the 3g service

With some cell phones you can hook it to your computer with a usb cable and it will work as a wireless modem to connect to the internet.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
everfresh1 said:
I'm glad all you guys work in these upscale areas were you can keep all that high tech computers. Most of the places i work they'd smash out the windows and "gank that shit" :lol:

LOL. I have to do an apartment common area on Greenfield and Plymouth deep in the bowels of Motown. I wouldn't want any of that fancy stuff showing. My theory is it's best to make it look like you'd get a rash if you reached into my van.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Why didn't he just say that?

Since my cell phone service is with Verizon, then I guess it wouldn't be much different than going to Verizon to get wireless service, but I bet hooking my cell phone up to the computer would cost me more.

rick imby

Name
Rick
With Verizon if you have the data feature on your phone you will be able to use your phone as a modem---if your phone has that capability.

--With Verizon if you want a smart phone you have to have the data also. Data is an extra $30 or $45 a month depending on the plan.

I am 95% sure that You cannot get calls on your Verizon phone while it is acting as a modem for your computer. Going with a dumb phone and a $60 a month modem might be a better option. The Modem can plug into any computer that has a USB port. If you buy the built in modem it only works in that computer.

I have an older Dell net top with the 9" screen. I like it a lot (2.2 lbs) but the keyboard is not handy for me. If you can type well on a regular keyboard you probably won't like the mini keyboard---try before you buy.

Rick
Couer d'Alene Carpet Cleaning

Zero Percent Credit Cards

Straight Talk Wireless

Prepaid Cell Phones in USA

Gary T

I have verizon wireless also and it will cost more to use the phone as a modem. And it is not as fast as the aircard.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Thank you Gentelmen...

After "crunching" the numbers..I noticed that my profit #'s are almost 40% higher when I
run 3 men on the truck. We are finding that more of our cleints are having their wood and
laminate floor's cleaned.!

Having the "option to have my son on a majority of the jobs.." bring MUCH higher ticket's.
Having the computer on the trucks..allows him to have access to real-time schedule..!!!
This allows him to Pre-estimate every job, produce a DETAILED work order for the techs.

So the men can just walk in and go to work..pick-up the check..and move to the next job.
This will allow us to offer same day service..!!! He also can sell the job...pre vac & set up
the job prior to the men arriving..! He has the option to also...do the job right then...!

We work in a very compressed area..Our adverage "drive times" are less than 15 minutes..
This immediate response..allows us to close a majority of our inquiries..! I have found that
getting the job done NOW...will greatly REDUCE the chance of "price shopping" & cancellations.

With our current staff & equipment...this can allow us to service up to aprox. 15 jobs a day..!
So SAME DAY service can be realized ..! He can manage his resources..on the fly..! If he needs
to dispatch another unit...He can simply re-arrange the staff...and pick up another unit from
the office.. :wink:

Thanks again..!

For Internet service we use Millenicom. They offer an unlimited package for 69 / month. We run that into a Cradlepoint router which then allows us to share the Internet between all our devices.
Sprints "unlimited" mobile broadband plan lasted us 3 days use before they turned it off ;)

We take any laptop and mount it to our Mobile Laptop Mount.
Mobile Laptop Mount can be found on ebay for about $50 or less.
Really only need the tray as the rest of the parts are available at any hardware store.

Amazon has several Laptop Mounts

I also have a mount in the Saturn.
DSC09789.jpg

Makes for a great 17" GPS with live weather
and live streaming web cam ;)
DSC09515.jpg

Mounts to the floor, or seat
030808017.jpg

Considering installing a vanputer with an 11" touchscreen inset in dash in the new van after we get the TruckMount transferred next week. Although I do like the ability to bring any laptop / and remove from the vehicle when not in use so I may just set it up with another Laptop Mount.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I just keep mine in a backpack, bring it in to the clients. Dont' use it in the truck that often.
In the backpack, it just looks like a backpack, nothing really worth stealing, unless they want my gym clothes

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ron Werner said:
I just keep mine in a backpack, bring it in to the clients. Dont' use it in the truck that often.
In the backpack, it just looks like a backpack, nothing really worth stealing, unless they want my gym clothes

Ron..

You could just plug-in a DVD..of.."From Here TO Eternity"..and let the cleint watch
the movie... "While you vac the Living room.." :shock:

Just kiddin.. :p

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Just for Marty, in a pig's eye. shiteatinggrin

http://www.americanvan.com/catalog/cate ... tto%20Desk

Although I carry a laptop ( Acer with Windows 7 ) and printer ( Canon Pixma iP100 ) in the van, I don't see the need to go wireless on the road.

I also have a wireless credit card machine so that I can take all credit card payments on the spot.

I simply print up an invoice, give it to the customer along with the credit card receipt, and all is in order.

K.I.S.S.

I do have a gps in the van, but I only use it in the voice mode after checking to see exactly where I am going to.

I like to watch the road and my rear vision mirrors rather than a screen where I could be involved in an accident when not watching the road.

Everyone will have different needs, this set-up suits me.

Ooroo,

:roll:

Ryan

Harper I bought a used goverment van and it came with a laptop mount installed in it along with a small inverter mounted on the base to charge the laptop. I have no need for it as I don't plan on getting a laptop for the van anytime soon and the heat for my SA couldn't be good on one anyways. If you want I'll rip er out inverter and all and ship it to you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom