Trying to remember what I like about commercial

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Im currently sitting in a department store I do maintenance on. They won't give me a key and can't rig the door so I can leave. We start at 8 pm and usually get done scrubbing and buffing VCt till around 2 am . I cleaned the carpet in the entry to pass more time. It's currently 345 am and my ass and lower back are falling a sleep from sitting in a metal chair in the break room watching a movie on my laptop . Manager doesn't get here till8 am . Won't come soon enough. Boy some residential is sounding great right about now

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Im currently sitting in a department store I do maintenance on. They won't give me a key and can't rig the door so I can leave. We start at 8 pm and usually get done scrubbing and buffing VCt till around 2 am . I cleaned the carpet in the entry to pass more time. It's currently 345 am and my ass and lower back are falling a sleep from sitting in a metal chair in the break room watching a movie on my laptop . Manager doesn't get here till8 am . Won't come soon enough. Boy some residential is sounding great right about now

The guy you are working for is a dirt bag. Why would you work under them conditions ? Have you no dignity ? Unless you are getting full rate for the additional hrs.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Well, some of the advantages of commercial I liked the most were:

1) Less bosses. I really had less relationships that I needed to manage.
2) Predictable cash flow. Once you have the account you generally keep it for a few years.
3) Predictable work schedule. Eventually you settle into a routine. And that routine can be working less for the same $!
4) Higher return on your marketing dollar. The tickets are generally larger and they repeat much more frequently.
From 1 customer in residential I generated about $200 in sales per service call and about $110 on verage per customer per year. In comercial my average ticket was around $600 with an average of just over $3000 per customer per year. Do the math...
5)Higher average ticket. The average purchase is usually for a lot more $ in the commercial market.
6) Higher production rates & higher dollars per hour.
7) Less nasty stuff to deal with. No dog pee or petrified doggie doo under the sofa. It seems that all the really hard work and difficult spotting was in homes rather than businesses.
8) Less stuff to move. You rarely have to move a sofaon a commetrcial jobsite. Generally its just a few chairs and the occasional trash can.
9)You can pick your customers much easier. Target your marketing to the people you actually want to work for so you can do the work you want to do.
10) PROFITABILTY. You get to keep a lot more of the $ you earn. Lower operation costs, higher production and other favorable inputs just make most commercial jobs more profitable.

That said, feel free to check out : http://encapstore.com/BusinessResources.html for some free downloads. Theres a pretty good pricing spread sheet, some marketing materials, service agreements, customer needs analysis forms and some other stuff to help you get into the commercial market. It's completely free and doesn't even ask for your email address so you won't get a ton of spam. Also, the forms are all in MS Word so you can customize them easily to fit your needs and make any changes you see fit.

On a side note remember that a little commercial work can be a bit of a pain but, a lot can be a gold mine.

Last edited:

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Ya its been a good account for me but the manager is hell bent on not letting is to work on sunday when they are closed. Its about a 10k a year account and I recently bought a new autoscrubber to service it so Its hard to tell them to get lost. I think next time my assistant is running low on hours I will nominate him for century duty. Its only 1 day a month so Ill survive. We are doing a big scrubb and recoat next month so that should be a nice check. I guess if watching movies for a few hours in a folding chair is the worst I have to deal with its not that bad. Just sucked last nast because I was so tired

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I guess if watching movies for a few hours in a folding chair is the worst I have to deal with its not that bad. Just sucked last nast because I was so tired

bring a cot and blankie next time
Or head over to the sporting goods dept and borrow an air mattress:yawn:

..L.T.A.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
That takes me back to the early 70's ..did a few "lock in" jobs back then...scary for a kid to be in a place like that at night

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom