Tumbling Room Do's and dont's...

Ron K

Hopefully getting one Monday.
I would really like to see pictures and ideas of your own set-ups.
Best Door?
Best Dust removal system ?
Motor in or out of area.
Best Size?
Have you hooked up your Dust remover to Vacuum out room? How?
Best placement for Dust Vac. Ceiling? floor? Outside?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You can build any kind of box from wood, with a golf cart sized overhead door a simple entry system. The simplest set-up I've seen is a pipe frame and tarp enclosure made out of industrial shrink wrap with zipper doors. I've also seen a pipe frame with a cover made by an awning fabricator.

Make it easy to sweep, as your vacuum system is only used to get light particulate out of the air. Any woodworking shop dust collector should do. You just need enough negative air flow to keep that light particulate from drifting around your shop. Mount it outside the enclosure.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Robert Mann had an excellent set-up for his tumblers. I'm surprised u didn't take photos of it when we were there.. I'll try to find those photos--but they might be on my laptop that crashed.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Protect the intake air coming into the motor fan from the dust. I built a box around it and vented the side of the shed. Others have installed ductwork on the top of the motor to a fresh air make up outside the room. In the end, also do what Bryan suggested as well. Here is an example using my set up: 20150825_130500.jpg 20150825_130509.jpg

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Our tumbler is on wheels and we enclosed the motor with plastic strips so
we could roll it out and clean the floor.

The dust vac is nice so the roll up door can be immediately opened after tumbling but not a necessity.

Not much to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Ron K

Ron K

Sorry Now I see the vac. Any advantages to having it in with the Tumbler, never seen that set up.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Are there any city ordinances covering the dust going into the outside air. What about osha. Do they get involved with the inside air.❓

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Our dust mover was inside the box for 30 years. Basically a furnace squirrel cage fan that fed an external catch bag. We only changed because the catch bag system was old, unwieldy and needed repair, and woodshop vacs are such an easy to live with replacement.

Reactions: T Monahan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom