tumeric

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Got an emergency call from one of my high end clients. She has spilled "golden turmeric tea" on her custom wool designer rug. Rug is too big to remove from the home and is multi colored with red, blue, yellow and white stripes. Any last minute tips for turmeric stains before I get there at 3 this afternoon?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I had success with Stain magic. DO not use heat. The stain was still there when I gave up. I left some stain magic on the stain without rinsing it. Two weeks later the stain was gone. A UV light would have speeded up the process.

Before I used the stain magic I cleaned the area with Ultra TLC, ( a D-limonene chem)

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I hope they had the rug protected. I have seen several rugs with bad coloring added spills. The solution they used was to rearrange the furniture to cover the spot.

Oxidizers can remove turmeric, but they also harm wool. It is a tight rope walk to get it strong enough to work and not too strong to damage. Be sure to get signed agreement with the customer if it looks like a salvage attempt.

I would start with StainZone diluted with equal amount of distilled water. Be patient. It may take time and multiple applications. Gradually mix stronger if needed and with customer's consent knowing that it could harm the wool.

Last edited by a moderator:

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Had the same situation last year on light blue carpet. I couldn’t do anything with it. Looked lighter, but noticeable rust color from the turmeric.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I started with an acid side cleaner and rinsed, applied a neutral cleaner spiked with peroxide, let sit and rinsed. Improved by about 50%. Although it's not recommended, I left a mist of 30 vol peroxide on top. Hopefully it will fade a little more. Took out 2 cranberry juice stains with my neutral/peroxide mix in seconds. What a difference between disperse and acid dyes. If it needs more work, we have a company locally skilled in stripping and reducing rugs. I'll just refer it on.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
People and their stupid hippy drinks!

I would use the 2 part wool safe stain magic, cover it in cellophane, and a UV light for 4-6 hours, maybe longer. Guarantee nothing.

Reactions: Cleanworks

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That's called pattern-ing and is extra.

And Jeff is right. Be really careful with UV light in that situation. I am willing to bet that unlike the claim below, doing this:
I would use the 2 part wool safe stain magic, cover it in cellophane, and a UV light for 4-6 hours, maybe longer. Guarantee nothing.

Will guarantee a dye loss.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
So, Ron.
Since it sounds like your gallant attempts were not 100% successful (nobody will either) which may have been a little disappointing.

Did you, at least, compensate yourself and buy a new gadget? :winky:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So, Ron.
Since it sounds like your gallant attempts were not 100% successful (nobody will either) which may have been a little disappointing.

Did you, at least, compensate yourself and buy a new gadget? :winky:
Thinking about a new wand. Customer called last night to say it's almost gone. I will go back today and do one more application of peroxide/ammonia. Light mist, collect my cheque and walk away. That was an expensive cup of tea.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I apologize I recommend UV on wool. I had a brain fart. But if you could put a black trash bag over the carpet and leave a hole only large enough for the stained area, it may disapate the Hippy-Drink stain with minimal damage.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just came from there. Unnoticeable on the colored portion and just a faint shadow on the white part. In 2 weeks she won't even see it anymore. Part of being a good stain remover is, knowing when to stop. I agree with Jim. I can get Come out of a wool carpet, no problem.

• Wow
Reactions: J20770

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom