Turn a ZIPPER in to a STEAMIN DEMON?

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Idea: Take a 5 gallon box, attach Vac motor, Shurflo 1.5gpm pumpout, Hook it to the Zippers handle bar, run 1/2" hose from said pumpout to toilet, have an electric 600psi pump hooked up to the hot sink supply.

Run it at 20 flow.

Cost?
Vac Motor: $130
5 Gallon stainless box: $50? (Or a 5 gallon stock pot)
Shurflo pumpout: $80?
200ft 1/2" garden hose $100
Electric pressure pump: $450 (From nothern tool: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200436509_200436509

So for under 900 bucks us zipper owners could make ourselves a faux "Steamin Demon" for those commercial jobs where security is an issue.

randy

Name
Randy
Steamin Demon has a utility patent on their unit so I would do a complete review of the legal aspects before wasting much money pursuing the concept.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
they don't for individual builds by the owner. You can do whatever you want with your equipment

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
You have no idea what you are talking about. An individual can modify his equipment anyway he wants.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I owned machines visually identical to the later Steamin Demon that I bought in 1981. They were sold to dye carpets. The Downeys certainly made them more useful and marketed them differently. Likewise I had "high flow" tools (seven 11003 jets) from a California company that I bought from in 1976.

Despite later legal claims of exclusivity and patent ownership of features of those decades old machines, I doubt they would hold up.

Thanks,
Lee

randy

Name
Randy
Bundy said:
You have no idea what you are talking about. An individual can modify his equipment anyway he wants.

Wrong again, but since you think you are so knowledgeable about the topic (and clearly aren't) why don't you explain on the basis of law why you make that assertion (case law, Federal patent law, whatever information you THINK you have). While your at it explain the difference between a utility patent ( what steamin demon was awarded in 2004 or 2005) and a standard patent or International patent for that matter.

If you "modify" your equipment in a way that violates someones patent it is actionable and you will lose the case if they come after you. Lots of case law out there to prove that point. During the early days of the Greenglides litigation lots of people had the impression that using infringing products, creating infringing products etc. is some how legal, it's not.

Eventually the plaintiff will take a pop at a few high profile infringers (guys like you that have incorrect ideas about patents) just to make their point.

Remember the whole online music downloading litigation?
Same deal there, everyone thought only the service providers would be sued for copyright infringement.
Many users found out that they were very wrong and have substantial judgments against them.
One 29 year old had a 29 million dollar verdict handed down against himself.
Arrogance & stupidity are expensive.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am not wrong, if you are not selling and replicating for sale and profit (by selling the item) you can modify anyway you want. You are so wrong it is ridiculous, a utility patent is the most basic patent there is. A little google turns an idiot into a lawyer good job Randy

Back
Top Bottom