Twisted drive shaft pic's

Name
George Valliant
Here's a couple pics of the twisted driveshaft out of my 1999 V 777.

The 1st repair shop I took it to said "Sorry, that shaft if over 3", metric, and we don't carry those u-joints".

The 2nd repair shop said "Sorry, that shaft is over 3", metric, and we don't carry those u-joints. But, I'll have it ready by tuesday". He's going to convert everything to standard so in the future it will be easy to repair. He also said it was obvious somebody ran over something which created the original dent and the spiral scratch. Then, it got worse from use.

I recall the shaft only had a medium size dent, and a few scratches in it, about 8 weeks ago. Since then it has turned into a pretzel! I betcha it would have snapped within another 8 weeks.

Notice the spiral scratch on the left? It originates from the deep grove on the right.
2010-01-16082834.jpg

Here's a shot of the backside where the original dent is. We shot it w/some black paint and drove it a couple more days to see if the metal was moving.
2010-01-16090608.jpg

After this repair the vortex should only need a few more things:

1. Service the rear differential.
2. replace the temperature controller
3. Uprgrade to 2.5" to the wand.
4. Install booming stereo system!
5. purchase wheel simulators

Speaking of temperature control. Has anyone upgraded to digital on these vortex? Is it worth the effort or am i better off with the manual controller?

I was about to hit "submit" on this post and I just received a call from the drive shaft dude. It's ready now!!! He said to bring $340 cash and come get it.

l8t!

Name
George Valliant
Thanks Richard!

Here's a pic of the rebuilt driveshaft. He ended up using the original U-joints because replacements are over $100 each, and there was nothing wrong with the old ones.

That weird vibration at 25 & 50 mph is completely gone!

Smooth as silk through all 4 gears now.

2010-01-17152629.jpg

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Damn, I* thought this was gonna be racecar pics. You shoulds seen the shredded driveshaft on our '69 El Camino. Racing a tunnel ram big block '68 Chevelle, came just short of pogo-ing it. Shaft came apart in the center, not the U-Joints.

Take care,
Lisa

Name
BradFenstermaker
Sweet now you have to paint the rest of the undercarriage on the truck to match.

Glad it rides smooth and I didn't think that was a bad price.

T

The Magician

Hey Lisa you brought back old memories. I just purchased a 82 Buick Regal with a 355 SBC with a tunnel ram. Will be racing this summer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom