Two man crew pay?

I believe residential cleaning needs a two man crew to be efficient. How would you pay a two man crew with one being the brains or the lead tech and the other just being there to pull hose and move furniture. I was thinking 15 percent for the lead tech and hourly for the helper. If the lead tech went out solo, then I think 20-25 percent would be fair depending on how good they were. What do you think?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Danny.

I put 30% max labor on the TRUCK....

The Lead TECH is responsible for everthing...

I allow the TECH to hire & fire his own Helper...He controls the Helpers PAY....
The TECH tells me what the Helpers check is ...at the end of the week...

I have found, that I don't have to deal with any WHINING from helpers....& their
is no Running to the BOSS as a go-between...

The GROSS reciepts...Go WAY-UP...When they are working as a TEAM...

I Have one Truck that SPLIT..50/50..They Enjoy working together...
(of course the helper has to clean the truck EVERYDAY)

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ken. "I am TOUCHED by tour CONCERN....

The 30% Labor Max ...LABOR PER "TRUCK... "gives me a FIXED cost for Labor"
The men are paid a "reasonable"..Base salary..from which all taxes are paid.

Salary $500.00 per week...Then they are BONUSED any monies over there
Base salary..& recieve a 1099 for all monies exceeding $500.00.

For this to be LEGAL...They must have a business liscense in there NAME. Produce a
WAVIER of workmans compansation...& liabailty insurance in that companys NAME..

Example: Truck GROSS for the week is $4000.00...30% is $1200.00...(Labor cost)
Tech is Payed: $500.00 salary...with a bonus "credit" of $700.00..
The BONUS checks are issued "in FULL" the 1st of the following month....

With this example, The TECHs pay will be as follows:
4 weeks Salary= $2000.00 + a BONUS check of $2800.00...Total =$4800.00 a month...

This allows the company TIME to collect any recievables & The Tech to manage there
taxable income.This allowes them LEGAL deduction's in operating their buiness...(Auto,
Fuel,Ins,Repairs,% of office expenses ect.........)

I am sure you are aware there is NO state INCOME tax in FL.
And that WORKMANS COMPENSATION is not REQUIRED...
Unless you have 3 or more EMPLOYEES :D :D

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
talk to a cpa, now I am pretty sure the irs would have a prob with that as well as the DOL. An employee cannot be a sub I believe so if they are both this could be a big issue and I would talk anymore about it here unitil you investigate.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Do you really think I would make that POST.....

If my CPA & ATTORNEY...had not REVEIWED & ADVISED...the Procedures.... :roll:

JeeeeeeeeeeZ.... :!:

But thank's for the "FREE" legal advise..... :shock:

I am sooooo tired of falling-off ...that dAmN.."TURNIP TRUCK"..... :lol: :lol:

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
If you dual wand with these 2 techs, you will make way more per hour than this employee is costing you.

In fact, that additional employee will actually make you an extra 30-50% per hour, in addition to his labor working out to be FREE.

I don't know why more companies don't dual wand jobs, except for maybe those occasional few large ones.

When you train a dual wand crew properly to be efficient and work together as a team, you will wonder why you waited so long.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Bob...................................EXACTLY RIGHT........................................ :wink:

Not to MENTION....Lower Hrs on machine,fuel,& FATIGUE on techs............. :idea:

During the season we will sometime 3 on the truck..............(Residential) :shock: :shock:

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Harp,

Not only does dual wanding decrease each tech's actual scope and energy required to do the job, it cuts the cleaning job in half, which is the mental aspect of your employee's each now facing a smaller task.

In their minds, each tech can divide that job in 2, so it is half the size one tech would face, or 2 techs running only one wand.

Both techs can make more money per hour because the are cutting the job time down, put they still get a percentage of the total job amount. The business owner also makes more per truck hour.

I have been successfully using dual wands for 20 years, back when John Sales was one of the few to build a large production truckmount.

I had to design a setup that would run dual wands without either tech being able to tell there was someone else hooked up to the same machine. Once that was accomplished, we built our business model on larger jobs with 2 techs on one truck.

I also made it possible for our electric TM to do the same thing - successfully run dual wands. Seriously, until you would see that electric running, you wouldn't believe it.

It sincerely rocks!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
On our larger commercial jobs I have been testing 3 man crews. It works well, working each tech for 30 mins. The Cleaner becomes the hose puller, the hose puller preps areas and moves fans, post spotting, and we sometimes even have the third guy prespray a little ahead. The wand is always moving.

We were doing 1 hour shifts and then we tried the 30 minute. The energy, and morale of all of us doing 30 min shifts is far greater than doing 1 hour.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Bob,

I agree, with you post...It does alot for MORALE...It is very profitable for us
because we have EXTREEMLY low drive-times...Usually 15 min MAX...

I am sure you are familiar with BUTLERs electric unit....

I almost bought 1 for a Goverment "janitorial" contract...
I am AMAZED that hotels & office building....Don't install an electic unit
in there faciality's..during construction...They would pay for themselves in 1 year........

Not to mention....the QUICK access in an emergency....WATER DAMAGE..ect...

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Harp,

It's funny you should mention the hotel thing.

I just finished designing an all ELECTRIC, NG-fired boiler, total 13 story building central STEAM carpet, upholstery, and tile cleaning system, with 2- 30 GPM APO's, that will operate very well 400 feet from the base unit (will even run dual wands/tools), with NO inline vacuum booster used (to keep it quiet).

It is so quiet that they can clean any time of the night, or day, and NOT disturb their guests.

There's only the sound of the vacuum humming along and the hiss of the steam!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Bob,

What is the cost...INSTALLED.....

The contract I was reffering to was in 1989...Butler was $20,000.00 installed...

I have a GOLF COURSE that is 50,000 sf clubhouse that an electric unit
would be a perfect application...."set-up is a NIGHTMARE" all paver entry's...

The PROBLEM is getting a "NO BID CONTRACT" for at least 3 years.....

If you "CRUNCH" the #s.....It will almost work...without the 3 years.....no-bid...

I could increase the FREQUENCY of cleaning...& RAISE the price 10%...Lot's of TILE...
Much more MARGIN in the tile work..."They are GREEN FREEK's"

If the contract was TERMINATED....Could alway's move unit for IN-PLANT rug operation.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
This unit I mentioned had the hard piping, labor and material, bid by a local, so what was required of me was to fly there, and initially evaluate their needs, then design and test their unit, then build it, test the unit again, ship it, have them install the mechanicals, and then I fly back to connect, test, and deliver what they are looking for — a one-of-a-kind, central, STEAM cleaning, system.

That unit would go for $18,000, which includes 2 trips for me, from here, to there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom