U.S. Products Leaving the U.S.A.

Name
John LaBarbera
WOW! This was a surprise. I wonder if they'll still call it U.S. Products? Is Hydra-Master going too?

Local plant moving operations to Mexico
Posted: Monday, Jun 22, 2009 - 10:22:54 pm PDT
Email this story Printer friendly version
By ALECIA WARREN
Staff writer

40 people will lose jobs on parent company's decision

Coeur d'Alene manufacturing company U.S. Products announced to employees last week the company will shutter its local plant and move production to Queretaro, Mexico, within the next several months.

The transition will ax 40 jobs from the production line, while keeping 22 people in administrative offices that will continue running in Coeur d'Alene, said General Manager Doug Hauff.

"Obviously I'm saddened because we've got such a great group of folks in our plant that have dedicated many years to U.S. Products," Hauff said, adding that the company hasn't pegged if any locals will be offered jobs in Mexico. "My personal goal -- and one I will work very hard to establish -- is getting new jobs for those who want help."

The call was made by U.S. Products' parent company, Nilfisk-Advance.

The Minnesota-based company is consolidating its U.S. plants into a single Mexican location to reduce costs, Hauff said.

"I think it's a preemptive measure. No one knows how long this recession is going to last," Hauff said. "A company has a couple choices -- it can wait around and hope that everything turns around, or they can have proactive measures."

U.S. Products has produced carpet cleaning, hard surface cleaning, and restoration equipment out of Coeur d'Alene since the late '80s, Hauff said, and ships more than $10 million in products per year to customers around the world.

"We certainly experienced some downturn (during the recession), but we've done a fairly good job of managing the company through this," he said.

Hauff said employees are at least fortunate the company gave them a 6- to 8-month notice.

"That's almost unheard of in plant closings," he said.

Laid-off employees will receive seniority-based severance packages, he added.

The company is looking into federal grants to fund retraining for laid-off employees.

"We're going to do everything we can so that when the light switches out, every one of those folks has a new home in our area," he said.

Employees didn't see the closure coming, said Lawrence Frey, a plant crew leader.

"Everyone's in the same boat I am -- we were living paycheck to paycheck because we planned on this business being here," he said. "Some have spent their lives here -- they've been around 15, 20 years."

His wife, who preferred not to be named, will lose her job at the plant, too, he added.

"I'm losing my whole household income," he said. "It goes to show you never put both incomes into one business."

He worries most for newer employees who will receive the smallest severance, he added.

"It's like a piece of candy -- it's good for a moment, and then it's gone," he said. "I just want to get the word out so at the end of six months they'll be able to find work."

He doesn't blame anyone, he added.

"I know it's not the company's fault, they have to do what they have to do," he said.

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2009/0 ... news03.txt

gasaxe

if it aint china its mexico. these companies dont realize that the jobs they are sending out of the county are part of the food chain that in the end buys the product they are making. a very good freind of mine has a injection molding company and has been in a constant downsizing for the past 5 plus years. At one time they had over 100+ plus employees to now only 2 to 4 depending on orders. They made plastic parts for companies such as daisy bb guns, pradco (knight and hale game calls), bergan (dog food containers) and many others. Most of these companies now have that work done in china. A lot of the people they employed were lower income bracket people who now probably rely on goverment cheese to get by.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
John LaBarbera said:
"Obviously I'm saddened because we've got such a great group of folks in our plant that have dedicated many years to U.S. Products," Hauff said, adding that the company hasn't pegged if any locals will be offered jobs in Mexico. "My personal goal -- and one I will work very hard to establish -- is getting new jobs for those who want help."

Is this some load of shit they teach CEO's to say when closing plants? Why cant people ever just close the doors and shut the f**k up? Like anyone buys into this Im so sorry crap. Sorry my ass they are happy as hell to move to a place they can work people for $0.20 a day just like Wall-mart.

I have 3 of there portables and will never purchase another or buy there Mexican made shit.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
"I think it's a preemptive measure. No one knows how long this recession is going to last,"

Like they would move the operation back to the US when the economy is back to normal....... They will be happier to make bigger profits and charge everyone a bit more for shipping.

Name
John LaBarbera
I wish Cali was closer to Ida, I would love to get some of those people they are laying off. The article said that they are moving all their manf. to Mexico. Does that seem to mean Hydra Master too? That's cold. The industry was paying their high prices for their equipment, guess it wasn't enough profit for them. I can't believe you would save that much money by moving the assembly process south.

The Minnesota-based company is consolidating its U.S. plants into a single Mexican location to reduce costs, Hauff said.

G

I wrote them a real good suggestion on their website contact us!!

I used words like Cowards; and other nice things. I will no longer drink Margarita's; I will find and purchase an American Made Beverage from now on.

To Hell with Jose Cuervo!!! And all his brothers!!

P.S. Google and read about this!! J.B. Wagoner Ultra Premium 100 percent Blue Agave

Name
John LaBarbera
rjfdube said:
I wrote them a real good suggestion on their website contact us!!

I used words like Cowards; and other nice things. I will no longer drink Margarita's; I will find and purchase an American Made Beverage from now on.

To Hell with Jose Cuervo!!! And all his brothers!!

P.S. Google and read about this!! J.B. Wagoner Ultra Premium 100 percent Blue Agave

I thought you only drank torpedo juice.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The once industrial giant is dwindling in size.
The guys that "would" have bought a US Prod item are the ones that would do cleaning for the US Prod employees, who now can't afford to hire a cleaner. They shot themselves in the foot, pre-preemptively.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
"I think it's a preemptive measure. No one knows how long this recession is going to last,"

Like they would move the operation back to the US when the economy is back to normal....... They will be happier to make bigger profits and charge everyone a bit more for shipping.

They wouldn't have to move if the U.S. didn't have the highest corporate income taxes in the industralized world. Along with some ridiculas environmental regulations that countries like Mexico,China and India do not have, It's harder to make a profit here. If the Dems get this Cap & Tax bill passed, The rest of the manufacturing base will leave this country. Up here in Michigan US Steel already said if it passes they would have to close up or move out of the country

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I don't think the labor or general business costs in Idaho are all that high, but maybe Minnesota is killing them. I'm wondering if a Danish company really understands the PR hit they're going to take in an industry as small as ours, or how easy it is for guys in this industry to buy equipment made in the US. Or maybe the professional carpet cleaner isn't their market at all, and the janitorial companies are only going to buy their products if they're a few dollars cheaper.

If you attend Connections, let them know how you feel, but remember that the guys in the booth didn't make this decision.

Jerry

Supportive Member
Its expensive to live in or do biz in minnesota, taxes etc. are way to high.Just get ahold of Al Franken, him and Obama will make it all better, ha!LOL

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I liked their opaque white tanks that you could see water levels ,

John of course sticks to NON viewable BLUE tanks.

Todd Anthony

I dont think they will be able to make a profit in Idaho after Obama makes them pay for their carbon footprint , the average house hold will pay 3k a year in new energy taxes . 600-700 a year increase just on your household utilities . I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Name
John LaBarbera
Walrus said:

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, the blue is translucent, which means you can see the water level in it. How can you have an EYE that BIG and not be able to see? Maybe glasses would help. Blue is the new natural. (white)

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
John LaBarbera said:
Walrus said:

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, the blue is translucent, which means you can see the water level in it. How can you have an EYE that BIG and not be able to see? Maybe glasses would help. Blue is the new natural. (white)

Can I send my spotter back and you make it translucent?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Jerry said:
Its expensive to live in or do biz in minnesota, taxes etc. are way to high.Just get ahold of Al Franken, him and Obama will make it all better, ha!LOL

Obama can lick my bung hole. He is so out of here in 2012. God. What an out of touch jerk. But he's so articulate.

Name
John LaBarbera
everfresh1 said:
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:

They wouldn't have to move if the U.S. didn't have the highest corporate income taxes in the industralized world.

I was wondering does a Dutch company pay U.S. corporate tax or does that income just go to the Netherlands in the first place? Is Nilfisk moving the Minn. and the Hydramaster operation down to Mexico also? The article seem to alude to that. That could mean those guys at those other locations will probably lose their jobs too. Maybe they will lower their prices with all the money they save.

I guess the good news is the machines made in Mexico will still be shipped back to the U.S. and the Jimmy's of the would can overpay for a tank he can see the water level. (Most guys can tell when the vac tank is full by the sound and the solution tank is empty when water doesn't come out of the jets, duh)

It's not inexpensive for Mytee to operate in Cali either, but you couldn't tell it by our prices.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
John LaBarbera said:
everfresh1 said:
[quote="Zalan Szabo (zee)":3dm73y4g]"I think it's a preemptive measure. No one knows how long this recession is going to last,"

They wouldn't have to move if the U.S. didn't have the highest corporate income taxes in the industralized world.

I was wondering does a Dutch company pay U.S. corporate tax or does that income just go to the Netherlands in the first place? Is Nilfisk moving the Minn. and the Hydramaster operation down to Mexico also? The article seem to alude to that. That could mean those guys at those other locations will probably lose their jobs too. Maybe they will lower their prices with all the money they save.

I guess the good news is the machines made in Mexico will still be shipped back to the U.S. and the Jimmy's of the would can overpay for a tank he can see the water level. (Most guys can tell when the vac tank is full by the sound and the solution tank is empty when water doesn't come out of the jets, duh)

It's not inexpensive for Mytee to operate in Cali either, but you couldn't tell it by our prices.[/quote:3dm73y4g]

Yes they do pay US taxes if they operate a plant here. The money made from that plant is taxed here. It doesn't matter where they are headquartered. If they start building Hydramasters in Mexico I won't be buying another one.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Art Kelley said:
Jerry said:

Obama can lick my bung hole. He is so out of here in 2012. God. What an out of touch jerk. But he's so articulate.
Will he move to Mexico and work for US products?

Greenie

Well that is a hell of a Christmas dampner, better find a new job for the new year :roll:

This isn't my philosphy, so don't kill the messenger, but I can assure you if I were to open a "plant" in Mexico, I damn sure would have all of my Mfg. done there, it's just plain logical.

Then I would cut my top heavy Mgmt. in half and fly those down to train my mexican managers as part of their job description, those 1/2 would remain stateside only as long as it took to replace them, the clock is ticking, 2 years from now you won't see a US based US Prod. employee, it's just business.

And they will still be selling a $2000 porty for $5000.

If i were John, I'd recruit a few top guns and make a strategic move, San Diego is every bit as nice as Idaho in it's own way.

and increse prices a few pennies to cover it all.

Lora Olson

John,

I'd give Doug Hauff a call and give him an opportunity to be a man of his word.

"My personal goal -- and one I will work very hard to establish -- is getting new jobs for those who want help."

If they are looking for jobs for these people, he shouldn't be opposed to giving you some names. It would be the right thing to do. And if he doesn't...call him out big time!

Just my opinion.

Name
John LaBarbera
Lora Olson said:
John,

I'd give Doug Hauff a call and give him an opportunity to be a man of his word.

"My personal goal -- and one I will work very hard to establish -- is getting new jobs for those who want help."

If they are looking for jobs for these people, he shouldn't be opposed to giving you some names. It would be the right thing to do. And if he doesn't...call him out big time!

Just my opinion.

Great idea, Lora. I'll do that. Maybe I should just put an ad in the paper that announced their departure to Margaritaville. I wouldn't mind getting some of the Hydramaster people when they go.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
You'll be like NASA, when they benefited from the cancellation of the Arrow. If it weren't for that fiasco freeing up some of the best aeronautical engineers would have taken a lot longer to reach the moon.
Prepare to lift off John :)

randy

Name
Randy
If this really happens it's a sad day for the industry. My guess is US products will become another Powrflte if they do this.

Greenie

Made in the USA very much means ASSEMBLED in the USA, and we may be doing good to have that much done domestically.

If we actually made stuff here still, we'd be a real superpower, thank gawd we still Grow food here.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Greenie said:
Made in the USA very much means ASSEMBLED in the USA, and we may be doing good to have that much done domestically.

If we actually made stuff here still, we'd be a real superpower, thank gawd we still Grow food here.

You should Know being in California that there are areas in that state that they won't let farm any more becouse of some mouse they are protecting. They cut off the water, If this keeps up and these environmental wakos are allowed to do this in other states we'll be importing our food from Mexico. :evil:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom