UD Vortex and AntiFreeze?

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

I'm about to send the 07 Vortex HAT in a UD that I've been working on to it's new owner. Here's a question, please: Each time after it is run/parked, and the anti-freeze expands as normal, some goes into the overflow canister. But then because the canister is lower, it doesn't go back to the radiator. So when the truck is first started the low fuid whistle blows until the fluid expands again.

Does that sound normal? Or might I be looking for a problem?

Thx,
Dale

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Jim:

I don't understand what that would have to do with it. The radiator is bypassing just what it has to in order to expand. And it is not overheating. Do you other Vortex guys see this?

Thx,
Dale

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
everything should be pressurized...what is your running temp.....there may be an air bubble in it.....the cap may not be seating right...
are you sure that the fluid level is where it is suppose to be....

have you checked the level in the HX....if you said yes to all the above then you may have a stat that is sticking........

Name
BradFenstermaker
Mine always has some anti in the overflow. The only time the ear piercing alarm will sound is if the radiator is low.

I think something is leaking or not opening for flow. Did you break the system for a change or repair.

Like Jim said check the fresh tank exchanger. I believe you can bleed the system there.

Dale the one on church street in chattanooga did all my initial repairs. They know about these trucks.

http://www.udtrucks.com/dealersresults.asp?state=tn

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
mine goes up and down but when everything is stable it is on the mark every time.....if you are setting off and alarm then your level is to low or the stat is sticking........my hx stat stuck and it did the same thing...but it did not set off the alarm I caught it when I seen that the reservoir was over flowing and not sucking back in......took the stat out and there was a piece of what ever it was holding the spring open just enough that it was stuck open.......

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
When I installed the box heaters in in my Vortex's, I drained the antifreeze. After the installation I had some trouble getting the air out of the system. I topped off the radiator 3 times and it was ok after that.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

The fill point of the exchanger anti freeze has been checked, and is full.

I guess I'm missing the physics of why a mfgr puts an overflow canister lower than the radiator. After reading the above, yes, it could be my radiator cap, in that it allows anti freeze to pass @ too low a temp. So, I'll see if a new one helps.

But in that it allows the heated/expanded to exit, but not re-enter, doesn't make sence how it's supposed to get back. But in that when it's cool and sealed and it's supposed to re-enter, how can it do so?

When I fix something I don't want to just add parts, but I need understand whats going on.

Thx,
Dale

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I remember when I picked mine up. Drove it for about 12 hours and then stopped for the night.

next morning that alarm went off, filled it up and have never had a problem since

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom