unloader vs. regulater

scotty747

whats the difference between and unloader and regulater? does the reg, adjust pressure as well as recycle the water when the wand isnt keyed? can i replace the unloader on a cat 290 with a regulater like my older unit and get a few more psi?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
An unloader distributes the bypass water partially when the wand is keyed and there is flow tot he outlet, and bypasses completely open without restriction when the wand valve is off(no flow to the outlet). When the unloader is bypassing during no flow to the wand, it is at near zero pressure at the outlet, thus the pump itself is "unloaded".

A "regulator", as used on a TM, bypasses partially when the wand is keyed, and fully when the valve is off. the difference being that there is always restriction, inducing pressure at all times.

The unloader's advantage is that the pump is de-stressed, or unloaded when there is no wand flow. This puts less wear on the pump seals, and lowers heat buildup in the bypass loop. The downside is that the valve may only be set for pressure when you are actually spraying the wand. This means you have to have the wand handy at the truck, or communicate with a helper at the end of the line.

One may not replace an unloader with a regulator if bypass loop heat buildup would lead to cavitation or overheating of the pump. If the bypass loop is of sufficient volume, then this is usually not a problem.

On the other hand, you can usually always replace a regulator with an unloader. However, some people are irritated by the fact that the pressure gauge will not read a pressure until the wand is keyed. As previously mentioned, it makes a a little more work to set the pump pressure. Usually a system designed to use a regulator is built to to tolerate the bypass loop heat.

scotty747

thanks shawn. are most unloaders adjustable? i just need a bit more pressure to keep my flow switch working.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
All unloaders are adjustable.

If the pressure obtainable is not high enough, either your unloader is leaking past, or there is insufficient flow from the pump itself for the jet opening. This can be either too much opening for the pump's ability because of wear or specification, or an inlet restriction.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
whens the last time you descaled it?

Powermatics (what we run) are notorious for crappy flow switches.
Sometimes they fire with low flow tools, more often that not, they won't.
I replaced mine with an after market FS that a local disty stocks and haven't had a problem since at any PSI, with any tool.
Best $60 I ever spent

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom