Upholstery Cleaning Tags

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
How much validity to you give the cleaning codes applied to upholstery?
Do you ever "stray" from the recommended cleaning procedures (ie Solvent only) and if so how confident are you that you won't cause any damage?

I will state that my crews are by now means trained in "fine upholstery cleaning". We only offer "wet cleaning"/ HWE.... My crews check the tags and if they discover anything other than "W" they will inform the customer that we only offer water based cleaning and if he/she would like us to proceed with the understanding that we will try our best to minimize moisture and speed dry the piece but will not be held responsible for any damage that occurs.

I have a very limited understanding of "S" Solvent/Dry cleaning upholstery. We do carry CottonEase on our trucks that as far as I understand can be used to Dry Clean by:
1. Pre-Vac the piece
2. Apply Cotton-Ease foam to the piece of upholstery (to your agitation "device"... horse hair brush, etc... Not directly to the upholstery)
3. Agitate
4. Vacuum Off foam
5. Groom upholstery if needed

And that's about it...... To me, this sucks.... and I feel like i'm not getting anything clean.

Is this extent of cleaning all you would offer or feel comfortable doing as well?
Is there additional steps that i'm missing that could result in a cleaner piece?

I know i'll be harassed for it but I rather be honest and get some suggestions based upon accurate information.... With that said I know for a fact none of my crews do colorfastness tests and it would probably be difficult to enforce. Please keep that in mind with any suggestions. Thanks.....

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mikey P

Administrator
I think you have more of a chance of ruining a piece by following the cleaning code, than common sense.

How much training and real world cleaning do your guys get before sent off on their own?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Most "S" (solvent only) labeled pieces can be wet cleaned. And the important word is clean, as dry cleaning ain't really dry and the end results certainly ain't clean. One of my 30 years ago instructors (Tom Shepard) said, tear it out (the label) when the client is not looking.

The other issue is the type of client you're dealing with and handling the client's perception. If the client saw that label (the risk averse ones) , anything you do that causes the slightest, real or most likely perceived damage, you'll be held liable. And trust me their post cleaning inspection magnifying glass will come out. As well as it supposedly can void the warranty.

The upholstery is the clients' property, therefore I inform them about the difference between the cleaning methods, expected results and risk, and I let them make the decision. If they reply: "Why don't what you do what you think is right", it tells me that they are not willing to take the risk, therefore I follow manufacturer's instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJ-FL

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I’ve seen indestructible fabric like Herculon with “S” codes

And I’ve declned a few pieces with “W” codes over the years due to failing the most basic bleed/color run tests

..L.T.A.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
How much validity to you give the cleaning codes applied to upholstery?
Do you ever "stray" from the recommended cleaning procedures (ie Solvent only) and if so how confident are you that you won't cause any damage?
Our guys are trained to ignore the manufacturer's labels, as they're too often wrong. Most furniture doesn't have a label anyway, what do your guys do then?

We pretest everything, as the cleaners most likely to do damage are the older, cocky guys that think they can tell what something is by looking at it from across the room.

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Our guys are trained to ignore the manufacturer's labels, as they're too often wrong. Most furniture doesn't have a label anyway, what do your guys do then?

We pretest everything, as the cleaners most likely to do damage are the older, cocky guys that think they can tell what something is by looking at it from across the room.
You can just call me by name if you like. Its "The Greatest'. 😂

Reactions: Dolly Llama

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Well, it is all about Chavez.

We've damaged two pieces in the last five years, both done by guys with 20+ years of experience. Both just jumped in a sawed away at fabric that wasn't what they thought it was.

• Haha
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

We've damaged two pieces in the last five years, both done by guys with 20+ years of experience. Both just jumped in a sawed away at fabric that wasn't what they thought it was.
You are correct though. Those with experience are often the guys that think they don't need to test or just plain try too hard to make a difference.

Those with less experience won't take the risks and are smart enough to pass on something they are uncomfortable with.

Name
Matt Middleton
I completely agree with the need to test. Using modern upholstery cleaning tools I have able to clean just about every type of fabric that we see.

I remember back in the day using Kleenrite or PB III dry cleaning units to clean "S" code furniture/drapes and shudder. One step away from disaster...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm sure @Jim Pemberton has an article or ten on this

I personally pay no attention to them

My articles of the subject can be summed up like this:

Cleaning code tags are RARELY reliable
Cleaning code tags often recommend something DIRECTLY OPPOSITE of what you SHOULD do
Cleaning code tags offer you NO DEFENSE if you try to use them as a means of avoiding a damage claim
Cleaning code tags WILL confuse your customer and you may have to discuss why you don't trust them.

Cleaning Code tags aren't a substitute for testing, inspection, and experience.

One last thought:

There seems a supernatural power that takes over a cleaner when he sees a "W" code:

With that W code, some cleaners feel a superpower that says "That W code must mean that I can use anything I want to clean it, get it as wet as I want, and nothing bad will happen to me!"

"W", at its most accurate, doesn't mean a detergent with a pH of 13 and a stair tool to clean it.

Rant over.

Be nice Marty, or I'll say this in a video with a Minnesota accent.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

1. Clearly not Chavez! At this stage in his career, he couldn't possibly see across a room.
  2. So......2 guys, 20 years experience, two pieces damaged in 5 years for a multi van operation. Damn Bryan- Statistically insignificant (officially margin of error territory.) Surely something you should have known- had you been paying attention in high-school. I am going to ask Fred to file it in your record under the Jumping To Conclusions category :winky: .

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Oh damn!!!
And just to make Jim happy. Here is what a colleague of his said before becoming an upholstery cleaning guru:

Just clean the damn thing, you'll end up buying a sofa once every 10 -12 years. However, considering all the time you will not be wasting on tests, financially you'd come ahead. Way ahead.

This message was approved by the "Sane Upholstery Cleaners for Happy America" organization. Which, by the way, is a non profit. Sue them! See if they care :winky:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom