Upholstery Help

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Ok..maybe i am doing something wrong..but I cant ever seem to get polyester couches clean..I try all sorts of stain removal stuff and nothing works..food doesn't come off, ink doesn't come out. and its frustrating. Thank God i let the custy's know before hand that this shit doesn't clean well..like at all. Please someone help..or confirm. Today, it was a bone colored polyester couch with ink on the arms and just yellow food like stains..I used First TLC for pre spray and rinsed with liquid one clean..and tried to use CTI products on the ink..the dirt comes off just not the stains.
I have other clients that call me because they always try and spot clean themselves and the fabric leaves huge water rings..

Thanks

Jarred

S

sam miller

Sometimes a good Upholstery pre spray then rinse with a Haitian cotton type cleaner to pop the whites also some inks wont come out there will be permanent stains I like heavy duty soil lifter for

ink or any citrus spotter apply rinse apply rinse You should see a gradual removal of stain if not its not coming out. I have used meta bisulfite on dinning room chairs on some stains gotta be careful

with it. Setting them in the sun on a hot day really makes them brighten up.

S

sam miller

Polyester foam batting? most uph manufacturers in U.S. only put what's on the inside the tag is useless, burn test are required for checking fabric if possible loose cushion take small piece out of inner seam burn it ifs it smells like plastic and bubbles and leaves a hard ball its synthetic. if it smells like paper and turns to ash like paper its cotton, wool smells like burning human hair not to much of that around in upholstery though.

Depend on what type of fabric determines the best way to deal with it.

S

sam miller

lust1kiddo said:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/furniture/sofas/klyne-dolphin-sofa/s237518

here is the link

PS this probably is Polyester cause thats what the site says hopefully they're telling the truth.

heavy duty soil lifter is great for upholstery cleaning as a spotter and a pre spray I also like upholstery pre spray from prochem

on heavily soiled microfibers with food stains prekleen or an enzyme pre spray works well too.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
lust1kiddo said:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/furniture/sofas/klyne-dolphin-sofa/s237518

here is the link

Jarred, Jarred Jarred..... The tag does not tell you what the cushions are wrapped in. It usually only tells you what the foam material is made up, the decking and any other stuffing used. Even if there was a tag on it, don't trust it. Sometimes upholstery is re-done with a completely different fabric.

If you actually know it is polyester microfiber(TEST IT!) try this. Get an upholstery prespray that has an oxidizer, and some sort of solvent in it as well. Apply it, scrub it in with a brush(house hair). Take some clean towels, clean the heavily soiled pieces/areas with the towels. Then rinse with your tool of choice. Take some more clean towels and go over the soiled areas again. Make sure to groom the nap properly with microfiber(in the same direction).

The oxidizer will help take care of those food spills/sugars, and help the piece 'pop'. The solvent will break down the body oils, and you don't have to use a high pH prespray for it to clean up well.

I agree with cleaning them in the sun - they dry faster, and it will also brighten it up as well.

As far as ink, its a big pain to remove and takes a lot of patience, and a lot of time, especially on upholstery.

S

sam miller

On this particular peice if you go to thier website He listed and hover the splatch of fabric samples it say "woven textural poly".

so it probably is.

definetly not microfiber Woven!

for the most part tags only say whats on the inside!

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
these are a particular couch that people buy around here for some reason. I have yet to see anything from crate & barrel that was practical. The water marks that are left by clients are bananas. When I read the tags..they have it separated from what the foam is and what the fabric is. I just dont know if I could nuke this shit or not..even power gel and ink out wont get some of these stains out. I use enzymes etc for some food stuff. I throw a shot of both citrus and enzyme in my prespray everytime. half of me wants to throw in a scoop of OSR for good measure but im scared of leaving a bleach mark. Plus these people like to get light colored ones..either bone or white.
I just prep the custy well enough that they are happy..but I just want someones experience with this type of fabric to help if they can. I even sent an email off to get to Jim Pemberton aka the yoda of this lane..lol.
Thanks for the help.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
You'll have to pre spray the heck out out of em with a good detergent like judson mixed strong.

Then you scrub the heck out of em using a horse hair brush. Keep agitating till your soap foams up and turns white (if its not foamy white it ain't right).

Then you rinse the heck out of em with a high flow upholstery tool like drimaster or the Sapphire.

You may not get all stains out all the time. But you'll get most stains out most of the time.

Ron K

Heat Time Agitation PH .
If you can safely........ increase as many as you can.
100psi won't do it quickly.
So you probably use cold water too which doesn't help.

S

sam miller

Its synthetic 90 wont hurt it, water stains are left because someone spots cleans leaves ring evenly wet it and no ring!

Still 90 mixed with a little energizer pop! It wont get all the ink either, cti has a liquid prosolve in a can thats good on ink! becareful

to test in an inconspicous area first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom