Upholstery Stain

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Customer dropped Tiger Lily blossom on her white ottoman. The stamen left this stain. Any suggestions for removal?IMG_0124_zpsec5a4360.jpgIMG_0123_zps5233b6e6.jpg

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
It's a common flower found in bouquets.
th

FredC

Village Idiot
Browsed a few florist forums and similar...

solutions people say worked

scotch tape to remove pollen left
dab with cloth/mineral spirits

leave out in sun for few hours.....some say doing only this works

so depending on fabric I'd probably hit it with a weak peroxide and sit it in the sun after getting any loose pollen...do you have a DCIlight by chance

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Why a tannin spotter?

If it has color and is organic why no - stain magic or peroxide?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i might add a drop or two perox into the brew.....
maybe small splash of white vinegar

Bla bla bla:)

tff

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think you'll ulimately need peroxide to remove that. Sometimes you get you can get lucky and it will come out with a general purpose spotter and extraction...but I doubt it will work if that's a cellulose fiber.

A few warnings:

1. You could end up overwhitening the area that you treat with the peroxide. Make sure you have in writing that you can't be responsible for any color difference. I know that "a little whiter and brighter" will be a 100% improvement over the existing stain, but I just helped a cleaner avoid paying a 16,000.00 claim after removing a urine stain from a similar fabric.

2. If you go with anything stronger than 3% peroxide, and the fabric is has cellulose fibers in it (probably does), it may weaken them. It might not show up for a while, but if they sit on it and it splits in the same place the stain came out, they'll remember you treated it.

This message of fear, doom and gloom was provided at no charge from your friendly, battle scarred, and cynical curmudgeon.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
i might add a drop or two perox into the brew.....
maybe small splash of white vinegar

I hope that was just a joke? You know, some people might not get it.
You never, ever mix Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar (containing acetic acid), unless you want to absolutely obliterate and destroy any present dye and natural fibers too.

The combination of Hydrogen Peroxide and Acetic acid produces peracetic acid (AKA Peroxyacetic acid), a very strong oxidizing bleach, many times stronger than Hydrogen Peroxide alone. There are very few known dyes that will withstand the PAA, and neither will any natural fibers do well. You'll be lucky if all you leave are bleach spots.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I hope that was just a joke? You know, some people might not get it.
You never, ever mix Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar (containing acetic acid), unless you want to absolutely obliterate and destroy any present dye and natural fibers too.

The combination of Hydrogen Peroxide and Acetic acid produces peracetic acid (AKA Peroxyacetic acid), a very strong oxidizing bleach, many times stronger than Hydrogen Peroxide alone. There are very few known dyes that will withstand the PAA, and neither will any natural fibers do well. You'll be lucky if all you leave are bleach spots.

So Shawn, when could I use peroxide and the vinegar? Piss stain on syn white carpet? This is much stronger than peroxide and ammonia? Or totally different thing?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
So Shawn, when could I use peroxide and the vinegar? Piss stain on syn white carpet? This is much stronger than peroxide and ammonia? Or totally different thing?

I can't think of a legitimate CC situation where you would mix Hydrogen Peroxide and Acetic Acid (vinegar). The manner in which it would perform bleaching is far too harsh and impossible to regulate, for dye safety.

When you use Hydrogen Peroxide plus Ammonium Hydroxide (what we call "Ammonia"), the reaction is a specific one designed to liberate some of the oxygen from the peroxide molecule (some nitrogen and nitrous oxide is also formed, but does nothing). The net result is that the free oxygen then oxidizes certain compounds, especially the colored chromophores of "weak" stains. I say "weak", because the chromophores of true dyes will be more resistant to oxidation. However, too much oxygen (in high enough concentration), will affect dyes to a degree. Hence, the possibility that by using this process, you can lighten carpet that you don't want lightened. This is the reason why using a precisely "metered" formulated product like Stain Magic, or Stain Zone is far preferable because of dye safety and more predictable results. These two products produce a controlled release of the oxygen, so concentrations are likely to not affect any dyes that are in "decent shape".

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Browsed a few florist forums and similar...
solutions people say worked

scotch tape to remove pollen left
dab with cloth/mineral spirits

leave out in sun for few hours.....some say doing only this works

so depending on fabric I'd probably hit it with a weak peroxide and sit it in the sun after getting any loose pollen...do you have a DC light by chance

It is the UV light (from sunlight) that helps the oxidation process.

Our DC Fabric Brightener (12% peroxide = penetrating agent) + UV spotlight would work.

Here is our new more powerful model with tripod for spotting:
View attachment 3312

It covers about 12" square with high-intensity light.

Larry

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
That could be why I asked if he had a DCI light.........or one of your high dollar flashlights......

I have one of his high dollar flashlights, how long would it have be on the spot to see a difference? I doubt the flashlight would last that long.

FredC

Village Idiot
No idea. Not even sure it would work. I've never tried to remove a tiger lily stain. I would guess a few minutes.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Looks like a Chenille fabric , I have on 2 chairs at my house. That looks like a toughy, Shane.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
So Shawn,
What happens when the home owner gets all "crafty" because they read on the interwebs that after Fifi pees on the carpet, they can soak it with vinegar? I mean what happens when the interwebnet educated brokedick gets to it and pulls out his secret weapon of 40volume and applies it to the spot?

Assuming, that the homeowner did not rinse the vinegar out- can there be an instant bleaching effect ? Or vinegar loses its potency in the carpet after a short time?

So far I haven't had an incident like this but what if? What if the homeowner doesn't tell you that they loaded up the pee stains with vinegar?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom