upholstery tool

sarrik

I've recently gone out "on my own", and I'm looking to purchase a new upholstery tool. I could use some advice...

- open spray or closed?

- standard, low profile or detailer?

- other suggestions?

Thanks!!!

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
those saphire ones are expensive right? I want one but cant spend the loot on it right now. The one I bought has a clear plastic cover that way I can see the dirty water going in..i wish they made the saphire one like that. Good Luck bud..keep the p.h. down on the upholstery, these guys know I fried a couch or two in beginning.
somewhat amus

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Quality is not cheap, but I don't find the SS expensive, it pays for itself after a few jobs, and better yet no fatigue at the end of the job. Hit up Jim Pemberton, I got mine from him.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
best tools that have been posted about are
Prochem's tool
The Hydrokinetic tool, not sure who is selling that one now
The Drimaster
and the new Saphire

The Prochem and the Hydrokinetic both have teflon heads available, the HK tool comes with one, the PC tool is an extra. These are very valuable when cleaning fine fabrics, even the new microfibre cleans easier with a teflon glide.
Personally, I didn't like the Saphire.
You can do a search for uph tools and check out previous discussions

Ron Werner said:
Prochem's tool
The Drimaster
and the new Saphire

The Prochem and the Hydrokinetic both have teflon heads available, the HK tool comes with one, the PC tool is an extra. These are very valuable when cleaning fine fabrics, even the new microfibre cleans easier with a teflon glide.

Why didn't you like the saphire tool?

Have you ever used a tool like this one? This is what I currently use. It cleans good and doesn't overspray. I think it does a good job. I wouldn't mind getting a new tool though.

http://www.pmftools.com/prodUpolstery19.php

Look at this tool. It is enclosed spray and appears to have a bypass to keep the solution hot. This may be a great tool.

http://www.pmftools.com/prodUpolstery12.php

Willy P

Name
Willy P
danielc said:
Ron Werner said:
Prochem's tool
The Drimaster
and the new Saphire

Have you ever used a tool like this one? This is what I currently use. It cleans good and doesn't overspray. I think it does a good job. I wouldn't mind getting a new tool though.

Look at this tool. It is enclosed spray and appears to have a bypass to keep the solution hot. This may be a great tool.

Bite the bullet Ron- get one of these. I love mine, nice wide 4 1/2 inch head, pressure adjustment on the tool and a vac relief. Reasonably priced too.

http://www.pmftools.com/prodUpolstery23.php

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
danielc said:
Ron Werner said:
Prochem's tool
The Drimaster
and the new Saphire

He has a whole thread on what he thought of the SS tool.

I have the pmf tool, I like it as well, but prefer the SS for me at least.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I also have the pmf external tool...i want something to control the spray better. I have never used an internal tool..they much different? sometimes i find that I need one that sprays a little wide so I can just mist the top of the sofa and get the dirt right off the fabric instead of pounding water into it..it just works better for me sometimes, especially with microfiber.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
lust1kiddo said:
I also have the pmf external tool...i want something to control the spray better. I have never used an internal tool..they much different? sometimes i find that I need one that sprays a little wide so I can just mist the top of the sofa and get the dirt right off the fabric instead of pounding water into it..it just works better for me sometimes, especially with microfiber.

This is why I prefer the HK tool. The shearing action sends no water past the fabric and it blasts soil off the fabric. The teflon head of the HK tool makes cleaning any fabric very safe. It works fantastic on microfibre sofas. Its two flaws are a heavy weight and the holed glide leaved lines on some fabrics which require brushing to remove. A little mod should fix that however.

As for the PMF tools, come on, why would I go to something that could possibly snag a fine fabric. That one PMF tool is so antiquated it shouldn't even be a consideration unless cleaning movie theatre seats, ie fabrics that can take it. 800PSI valve on an uph tool???? !!!

What I didn't like about the SS tool was it overwetted the fabric, the spray wasn't consistent, it sucked the fabric into the slot too much. Also the trigger lock wouldn't engage under pressure. For a $400+ tool, it was not very precisely made.

What I liked about it was the weight and length of the attached hose. Made it very flexible to use. The tool itself fit into the hand nicely. So, I liked the tool, just not its performance.

Ideally, take the HK tool with a teflon head, give it the lighter longer attached hose, make the HK tool out of durable plastic, or even use the HK flushing design with the SS tool design, and you've got a real winner.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I thought the whole purpose of the SS was to not overwet? The PMF I use doesn't suck the fabric up..it actually works real well..I just should get a similar one with internal spray for better control. I got it brand new for like super cheap..40 bucks or something.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
We know that upholstery tools are very personal.
I've been using the internal jet PMF tool for over 15 years now and it is always my go to tool.

Never snagged a fiber.
Dries exceptionally fast.
Easy to maneuver.
Fits your hands well.
Just a great tool.
My hydra master (what ever they call it) collects dust.

Ron, did you try using the internal jet tool while lifting the fiber as you clean. Nothing gets past the fiber, dries real quick and cleans great, a real flushing of the soil.

I did not try the hydrokinetic for a prolonged time. The little I did I found it to be really cumbersome and leaves uncleaned gaps at the sides. I also tried the US products tool, and the prochem tool. Also owned the KleenRight tool. Got the SS tool, haven't tried it yet, it is in a different location.

Yes, the PMF internal jet lacks the ability to mist/spray, that is a drag and I wish it did. And you have to be careful around exposed wood. Still a cheap, very durable and an all around excellent tool.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I might have tried the internal jet tools but its been a looooong time ago, probably at a class. Just didn't care for its performance. I know if you pull up and back with it and have it set up just right with a balance of water pressure and vacuum it will leave the fabric pretty dry but that makes it a very demanding tool skillwise. I don't think it would be my choice of tools if I was cleaning a silk. The HK does have a edge to the side, but a little overlap and familiarity with it compensates. I started with a Kleenrite, used that for years, left a LOT of water sprayed all over. Upgraded to the first Drimaster but found that tool to be very slow in actual cleaning. Needed a slow pass to get clear water past that view window.

Yes, the purpose of these tools is to not overwet. But side by side the HK left fabric far drier than the SS. Perhaps on a different fabric the SS may have performed better. This was a microfibre. I can work faster and with more confidence with the HK knowing there is nothing to catch a fibre, no sharp edge of bent metal, no sharp piece of plastic even. Can use the HK at 300-400psi without fear of over wetting and no "skill" required ie to have to hold the tool just right for the performance.

There are tradeoffs with the HK but for the time being, haven't seen a tool yet that I would trade it for. I'm going to put a different hose on mine, that will improve its usability significantly. A lot of the weight of the tool is due to the short inflexible hose they chose for it.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Ron Werner said:
I might have tried the internal jet tools but its been a looooong time ago, probably at a class. Just didn't care for its performance. I know if you pull up and back with it and have it set up just right with a balance of water pressure and vacuum it will leave the fabric pretty dry but that makes it a very demanding tool skillwise.

I'm with Ofer; the PMF internal jet tool can't be beat for performance or price ($79). I've used the same one for 20 years. With two modifications you will love it. I took off the trigger and made it continuous flow which gives you very hot consistant solution. Then I put a ball valve on adjusted so no overspray at normal carpet cleaning pressures (so no adjustment needed at the machine) and took off the lever. Works great. It's like just using a vacuum cuff only it's a rinsing tool.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Art, I understand the reason for the modifications, they make sense.
How quickly does it fill the recovery tank though?
Do you have an automatic pump out?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I have a 150 gallon waste tank on the WM so I don't worry about it. Last week I cleaned 840 stack chairs in a banquet room. My fresh tank is 100 gallons and I could run it about three hours and do about 250 chairs before refilling, machine and tool going continuously. There was very little overspray on the tile floor, mostly from my trigger sprayers of prespray.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom