Urine odor and stains.

Gabgurl39

Name
Edith
I am not sure if this is the right place for this post but I am desperate to find a solution. We just discovered that our dog has been using our family room for his toilet. Thankfully due to the pattern of our carpet the urine stains are barely noticeable but the smell on the other hand is awful. In the past at another house we tried everything we could find at pet stores or grocery stores, as I am sure you know it was a complete waste of money. I have checked out numerous pet sites on the Web, they all suggest and swear by a vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dish detergent, for some reason that just doesn't seem like the solution. We have a wet/dry vacuum, carpet rake, and a Bissell carpet cleaner (I know not the best.) I realize that this problem isn't always fixable but I don't want to go down without a fight. Could you please recommend a product or products to use and some. We are willing to do anything from pretreat ingredients, well anything. I realize a professional would probably be better but financially it's not possible at this time. Thank you so very much for your help.

Mikey P

Administrator
Welcome Edith, although this is a site for professionals I'd be more than happy to help you out.

I'll keep it as simple as possible.

There is no miracle product to make the urine go away. You need to remove the urine physically.

If you plan on keeping the dog and want to make life more bearable ( for a little while) then you will need to pull up the carpet and deal with all the urine that has gravitated to the backing, pad and subfloor.

Move the furniture out of the room and gently lift the carpet from a corner and with the help of an ice pick or nail pry it up. Try you best to not bother any seams. You will need a pro to fix those if they come apart The back of the carpet will tell you where your dog has been urinating in most cases, if not than you'll have to use your nose to find the spots or maybe the pad staining will tell you. The sub floor may have plenty of clues for you as well.

Toss the pad. No saving it. Buy more, it's cheap.

Clean the concrete or wood sub floor with a mild bleach and water solution 2-4 ounces bleach to 32 ounce water, DONT drip this on your carpet) and let dry. Paint over the bad areas with leftover house paint to hide the odor from you and fido. Run your bissell over the front and back of the carpet until the water runs clean from the waste tank. This may take many tanks full. Many...
Spray an enzyme based deodorizer on both side of the carpet and let sit for a few hours and then rinse it out with just water. Do it again if it still smells. Maybe try a different brand.

When all surfaces are dry reassemble.

You Tube videos on how to install carpet

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...j11.14.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.zqSxvICyJHM

Good luck Edith!!

FredC

Village Idiot
A. Stop letting your dog urinate and defecate on the floor.
B. You just discovered it? Did you think taking the dog to a new house would change the owner's habit of letting it urinate and defecate on the floor?

If you are allowing your dog to urinate and defecate on your carpet the situation has likely grown beyond any "topical" solutions. Its in the pad, subfloor, baseboards etc. Any recommendation that I might make as a professional like flooding with X product and attempting subsurface extraction with your wet vac or replacing the pad, sealing the subfloor, and cleaning with your bissel have the potential for secondary damage and are likely in vain because the owners will continue to allow the pet to urinate and defecate on the floor.

If you plan on keeping the dog that you allow to urinate and defecate on the floor your best solution would be to remove the carpet and go to a flooring product more in line with the pet owner's habit of allowing it to urinate and defecate on the floor...................

sorry....pet peeve

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
lol.....no its Charles

but seriously...people that allow their home to become pet bathrooms piss me off. I know some CC say they are thankful for them but I never ran across enough of them that telling them like it is would make or break me

and I'm not an animal hater or anything.........I have a Shepherd, Boxer, and two cats........................but they do not urinate and defecate on my floor on a regular basis. That is not to say there have been no accidents but they are far and few between. Can probably count them on my fingers over 13 years...............

Last edited:

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Edith, I would probably call a local carpet cleaner that works with pet stains and odor. A simple carpet cleaning will not take care of the bad smell. Most of the guys on this board do this stuff everyday and know what and where to look for damage. What part of Missouri do you live in? There might be someone here that would help you out.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
There's a reason you have not had any success with your previous attempts. You do not have the equipment to handle a job like this. Even with my amazing products I would not attempt a job like that with your equipment. If you're keeping the dog and staying in the same home and want something that will improve the situation then give the guys at Master Blend a call or use this link http://masterblend.net/ . get some of that At Last. But once you've see what that costs you might be able to afford a professional after all.

FredC

Village Idiot
Fred you sound like a real pro . Nice language to use to a potential customer , makes the cleaning industry look very professional .

should I have said wee-wee and poopie?

I changed it...

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Edith called, she wants to buy a Angry Alcoholics Anonymous banner in honor of her leaky poodle, named incredibly enough, "Fred".

FredC

Village Idiot
Lol........no alcohol involved........I spent all night making and documenting changes to websites so I can try figure out googles latest updates.

beagleboy is right... I shouldn't have used the unprofessional language. I apologize to those who may have been offended.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom