urine on wool carpet

bmas

Any suggestions on what to use for urine on a wool wall to wall carpet. It has about 6 stains all in one area. The customer doesn't expect miricles but I would like to try to help her out.
thanks
Brad M

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
bmas;

You need a powder reducing agent like our Fiber Brite.

It has the proper pH for wool,
and will remove most stains that have not damaged the original dyes.

Larry

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Because wool is so absorbent and there are some limitations on what products you can safely use, never promise complete removal.

Urine pretreatments like the ones mentioned or our TCU Neutralizer assist in removing alkaline salts. TCU Neutralizer and maybe some of the others also help to remove lipids, the oily sticky part of the urine that remains after the moisture evaporates. Any of the pretreatments is safe for installed wall carpet.

The use of a pretreatment makes whatever cleaning you do afterward more effective.

Hydrocide is safe deodorizer for wool.

If you want to go further, you and the customer must balance between the importance of removing the stain and possible damage that can be done to the wool.

If time permits, bacteria / enzyme products can work very well. Most of these products will include protease, an enzyme that digest protein. Wool is protein. But the urine is much easier to break down and the enzymes will have finished with the urine long before any noticable damage happens to the wool.

Reducers work faster than enzyme products but I think a little more risk of changing or removing color.

Oxidizers, Stain Magic for Wool is a good example, work well to remove the stain, but require care and watchfulness as this is a more aggressive reaction and can remove color. Some folks say it can also leave light colored wool, yellow, although I have not personally observed that.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Light colored wool yellow:
o2 system mixed to strong equal yellowing.. ( have a sneaking suspicion that the previous cleaner doused it with an oxidizer as well and when we got the rug, we were not full washing at this point in time when this rug was cleaned.
Cleanandstuff038.jpg

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Hey scott,

I’m interested in what you said about the protein digesting enzymes on wool. I have always avoided these products on wool. Do you thing an encapsulated enzyme like bio-break at a weak dilution would be wool safe?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
ACE said:
Hey scott,

I’m interested in what you said about the protein digesting enzymes on wool. I have always avoided these products on wool. Do you thing an encapsulated enzyme like bio-break at a weak dilution would be wool safe?

I would not suggest Bio Break for use on wool. The reason is not because of the enzymes and bacteria present but rather due to the alkalinity of Bio Break. The same would be true of most enzyme presprays that I am aware of.

For wool that has already been damaged by urine bacteria / enzyme combinations will do much less damage than leaving the urine in the carpet.

Bio Charge or Bio- Modifier could be used on urine contaminated areas. For prespray on wool, I would suggest Hydro Break. For heavier soils, especially oily or greasy soils, I would boost the prespray with Citrus Solv or other citrus solve. This increase the emulsifiecationof oils but does not raise the pH of the prespray.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom