UV Blocker

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I only knew of one company that marketed the UV absorber for this purpose. They have since dropped the product.

If the intend was to be sure a spot would not glow after cleaning, it worked.

It does wear off and cleans off very easily.

Imagine this scenario - Apartment renter is going to move out. Cleans carpet or has carpet cleaned. UV blocker is applied to her carpet to hide pet stains. Rug passes inspection even though their may be residual staining or even odor. She gets security deposit back.

Next renter lives in that unit for a while. Has no animals. She gets ready to move. Hires carpet cleaner who unknowingly removes the UV absorber. Landlord checks and finds pet stains. New tenant loses security deposit, knows it is not her problem and blames carpet cleaner.

Scott W

scottw said:
I only knew of one company that marketed the UV absorber for this purpose. They have since dropped the product.

Imagine this scenario - Apartment renter is going to move out. Cleans carpet or has carpet cleaned. UV blocker is applied to her carpet to hide pet stains. Rug passes inspection even though their may be residual staining or even odor. She gets security deposit back.

Next renter lives in that unit for a while. Has no animals. She gets ready to move. Hires carpet cleaner who unknowingly removes the UV absorber. Landlord checks and finds pet stains. New tenant loses security deposit, knows it is not her problem and blames carpet cleaner.

Scott W
It was made by Pro's choice. Any other idea's Scott?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
scottw said:

Scott W

Scott,

Your premise raises a purpose for which I never thought the product was intended. The purpose that I always presented to the cleaner was as solely for the cleaner and client alone, as an indicator that the cleaner has treated the areas only on the prior visit. And only one scenario where it would involve the client was to indicate new deposits since the last treatment alone. It would not apply to subsequent cleanings unless the blocker was applied again. Nor would it ever be used as a indicator that the job was done correctly. That would have to be implied already by the credibility, proper administration and expertise of the cleaner.

As such, it had limited applicability for which it may have given reason for mediocre demand which led to it's withdrawal from the market. I however would not fault the product itself from meeting expectations which were beyond its scope.

I will say this though. The product had another "off label" characteristic which never was capitalized upon. It could be used as a UV protector, to guard fibers from fading near sliding plate glass doors, where this is a problem.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The scenario I described actually happened, even if that was not the intended purpose. I had to get involved with cleaners and apartment management people to explain how this could have happened.

There is a company in western Michigan that makes a UV blocker. They sell it to keep upholstery from fading, especially in automobiles where the upholstery is subjected to a lot of UV. I have heard mixed reports on how well it worked. Never tried it myself.

Mark Kling of DSC was working with the manufacturer to help promote it in the carpet cleaning industry. Sorry, I can't recall the name of the product.

As Shawn implied, products that block UV also absorb UV and vice-cersa, so this UV protector would laso help to absorb UV and hide those pesky pet stains under UV light.

Ryan

Get some good sunscreen and mix it 50/50 with water and try it. :mrgreen:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Solar Shield is the product you're thinking of Scott. Even though Mark said testing showed it worked and the Solar Shield guys say it isn't a silicone, I'm waiting for someone I know to do some extensive testing before offering the product/service.

Wasn't meant to hide urine though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom