Vac. belts going every 6 months

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have no clue why they are going out so much. I It's a prochem peak with the 25 horse. I'm running 2.5 hose.(they went out the same with 2")

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Keith

Able 1

Name
Keith
It's set at 15 I am running a glided wand though, don't think it opens.

I will try that though.

Thanks,
Keith

Able 1

Name
Keith
Jim Martin said:
where are they wearing.......inside or out side edge

I don't know where by the time I find out they are destroyed wrapped around the pulley and one usually take the other one out, just chunks of rubber.

ODIN said:
how long do you expect them to last?

Still have the original on the water pump 1900 hours. I know that the vac ones have more stress but I expect a year.

Keith

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Able1;

Assuming they are properly aligned, the biggest factor in short life is HEAT.

Try increasing the airflow and insulating hot surfaces nearby.

Larry Cobb

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
sounds to me more like it is the wrong V grove and it is chewing them up because it is not sitting in the pulley properly.....

Able 1

Name
Keith
packfancjh said:
how tight are they as far as tension goes?

Pretty tight if you push down on them you might get 1/2 inch or less

Larry Cobb said:
Able1;

Assuming they are properly aligned, the biggest factor in short life is HEAT.

Try increasing the airflow and insulating hot surfaces nearby.

Larry Cobb

The exhaust runs right next to them maybe 1 1/2 ", 2" at the most. now that you said that it is usually the closest one that goes when there is anything left.

Just some of that heat tape, hey?

Thank you,
Keith

Able 1

Name
Keith
Larry Cobb said:
Able1;

The best solution is the hi-temp tubing.

To install the tubing you have to take off the exhaust pipe.

You can install hi-temp 2" wide wrap on the existing pipe, without removal.

Here is the 1400° wrap we have found to work best:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/tmacc.html

Larry

Larry,

Found a crack in my exhaust pipe and took it in for an estimate to replace the whole pipe. I would do it myself but looks like a major pita. (depending on the price I might still do it)

When they order the pipe i'll do one of the things you mentioned above.

Meanwhile I think I am going to try to tighten them (belts) see what happends. When I put on the new belts I slip them on like a bike chain. I was showed that by the mech. in town and I have never adjusted or moved the blower at all. Maybe they are slipping. What is the rule of thumb for how tight they should be? The mech. told me "little looser then a fiddle string." wtf does that mean?

Thanks for the info,
Keith

G

Try using industrial grade belts,and if those belts are near the exhaust,ya,use the exhaust wrap.

Kevin

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Able1;

Belt tightness depends on the style of belts used.

Our TM's use 3V & 5V belts on a short span.

Midway between our sheaves, you should be able to push down about 1/2" with your thumb.

Longer spans will more down movement.

Larry

Able 1

Name
Keith
I think it is a BX-42 not a long span a half inch is what i'm getting.

I heard about kevlar belt any feedback about those?

Thanks,
Keith

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Keith, When you replace the mainfold be sure and wrap it before its installed. Its alot easier and you'll get a better job. It also be a good idea to have some sort of shield to protect the wrap when the belts come apart again. Without it when they start thrashing around it will make a mess of the wrap. Make sure those belts are tight enough. I know they say you can over tighten but them I have never found that to be a problem. All that being said, my guess is that there is too much restriction in the blower plumbing. This causes a lot of pressure against the blower and that makes the belts slip no matter how tight they are. Call me sometime and I can show yoy how I fixed the belt problem on my PowerClean unit. Shane

Able 1

Name
Keith
Shane T said:
Keith, When you replace the mainfold be sure and wrap it before its installed. Its alot easier and you'll get a better job. It also be a good idea to have some sort of shield to protect the wrap when the belts come apart again. Without it when they start thrashing around it will make a mess of the wrap. Make sure those belts are tight enough. I know they say you can over tighten but them I have never found that to be a problem. All that being said, my guess is that there is too much restriction in the blower plumbing. This causes a lot of pressure against the blower and that makes the belts slip no matter how tight they are. Call me sometime and I can show yoy how I fixed the belt problem on my PowerClean unit. Shane

Will do, it looks alot different then it did before.

Thanks,
Keith

G

if you want your belts to last you need to change them to the made made linked belt the red ones that wood workers use on the table saws i was blowing v belts every week i still have the belts i put on 5 years ago all you do is take a link out the cost more but they last a long time do a search segamenent belts red Link V-Belts called PowerTwist Plus go and see youll never buy a nother belt,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom