vacuum loss using whip hose

Able 1

Name
Keith
does anyone know how much vac. is lost by going from 2 to 1 1/2 for the vac line(a whip). Is it just as easy as 1/4 loss ?

Name
Eric Valentine
What is the reasoning behind using the whip hose? If it is because your 2" hose is too stiff, get a length of 2" flexible truckmount-grade hose from greenglides.

But to answer your question: 2" hose has roughly 77.8% more capacity than 1.5" hose (pi * radius squared). The smaller hose will have more drag (friction) on the inside of the hose, due to the air having to move faster through it because of the smaller size. This will cause you to lose usable water lift that would otherwise be available at the wand/carpet interface. The more lift you have available at the wand/carpet interface, the more efficient the water extraction will be.

You would notice the greater efficiency because the wand will be harder to move, even with a glide.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
2" wand gets 5hg at 100 ft and a 10' 1.5" whip(w/100ft) gets 7hg at 100 ft. Tested with a machine set at 15hg and a hg guage where the hose meets the wand. Larry Cobb, freeflow and I were there. I believe more airflow but not more lift comes from a 2 " wand. But I don't know everything. :roll:

Greenie

numbers are like statistics.

a machine "set" at a given lift will show less "operating lift" with a larger hose while actually cleaning, but don't think for a second for all intents and purposes that you don't have more avail. waterlift at the carpet, cause you can feel it, it's there.

to try and sum up the question, Eric is on the right track, I would just add to that, the "length multiplier" effect, it's one thing to have 3' of smaller hose as a whip on a 1.5" tool, it's a whole different deal to have 25' of smaller hose, the additional friction is significant.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I am just asking because a guy in town beat me out of a job because he pre vacuums with a commercial vac. and i just have a cheap one. I looked on his web site and he is using a whip. so much for his commercial vac!

Greenie

Are you for real?
What customer even knows the "real" difference? Especially considering that a $49 bissel will put any vac against the wall to hold it's own in real dry soil extraction.

Able 1

Name
Keith
the other guy told him "I bet he dose not use a commercial vacuum to pre-vacumm" he also said that he runs a two man crew. I don't think it was the two man crew though. They were two empty townhouses why would he care how long it took me.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
That's funny stuff. I've got a "commercial vacuum" and a $68 bissel. The bissel pulls more crap from the carpet than the other any day of the week. I filled the canister 3 times vacuuming an 8x10 wool area rug last week. Probably could have filled it a couple more times but enough was enough.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Able 1;

It's easy to visualize the difference:

1.5" Vac hose has...

4X the resistance of the same length of 2" Vac hose.

25' of 1.5" = 100' of 2"

This assumes you are using a 2" cuff on the 1.5" where it joins the 2" hose.

Larry Cobb

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Able 1 said:
the other guy told him "I bet he dose not use a commercial vacuum to pre-vacumm" he also said that he runs a two man crew. I don't think it was the two man crew though. They were two empty townhouses why would he care how long it took me.

Kieth, it looks to me like you're speculating and really don't know the reason the Prospect chose the other guy.

I'd suggest he simply sold himself better than you.
it wasn't one thing or another.
It was all things that add up to being a better salesman.

we "gear heads" love to maximize our tools/equipment.
It makes us think we're so much better and different.
Truth is, it takes sales skills to thrive in this biz.

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

That's true, there is alot to be said about selling in this business. Just remember, people will judge you almost instantly whether on the phone or in person from the moment they start talking with you or look at you. You have to sell yourself, your honesty and commitment to quality work...............then your equipment and the other bs has some to do with it.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I know that this was an off day for me as far as being a sales man but i am working on the truck all day and i at that time wasn't ready for a q & a session. Its weird sometimes it will just roll out of my mouth like you would not believe and other times not so good.

So i definitely believe that he was the better sales man that day. I had him the first time i talked to him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom