Val Arbab, ASA,ISA-CAPP

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Van Arbab, an Oriental Rug Appraiser and Broker, presented a two day instructional event in La Jolla, California that ended today. It was a Hands-on Seminar that covered Turkoman, Baluch, Afshars, Qashqai, Khamseh, Lur, and Kurd weavings. The attendees were ARCS members that desired to enhance their rug identification skills.

Thanks to ARCS for making this sort of training available.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Val’s seminar was a 2 day event. She entertained us at the end of the 2nd day with how she got into the business. She explained her life story from childhood to adulthood. How she came to America. The various schools and jobs she held. She included details of opening a rug store and selling that business to Don and Kate Blantchford.

Her life story clarified many misnomers some in the group were led to believe due to misinformation provided on the forum boards and elsewhere.

Val20121026_102452_zps735b2827.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
It's interesting that the IICRC is getting old-timers like Wanda York to clear up some things by writing their history. Borrowing history is a shortcut to credibility, but when found out destroys credibility, as we're seeing with the ICRA convention press releases.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Not aware of the relevance of the remark Mr. Oz. Is there some connection to this thread? Apart from that, many at the course enjoyed the networking that a gathering such as this afforded. Al Casas, owner of Bobcat in LA, provided interesting perspectives on cleaning and doing business in and around California. The picture posted shows owners of bigger Moore style rug plants across North America, including Toronto, Canada that associated in seminar with smaller operators for this style of advanced education.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Did Spongo make an appearance?

Who? No one by this name came. However there was a clarification about a baseless rumor that was making its way through the rug community concerning Robert Mann and rugs in seized Turkey. Val had firsthand knowledge that NO such misdeeds happened that could be attributed to Mr. Mann. Fact: Even some of the collectors, that came to California for their recent show, had already received these 'so-called' seized rugs. Most in the group were astonished to learn about such an attempt to malign his character.

We also learned firsthand that NO ONE cleans several hundred rugs a week in San Diego. Val is really familiar with the rug related people in the area. She even sold her company in the area that cleans rugs now.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
He was talking about that blowhard on ICS.

Tom why do other rug (snobs) people really care if someone is or isn't cleaning 200 rugs a week? I'm not sure I understand the relevance or concern about that. Would you care to explain to someone outside the rug cleaning arena.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
He was talking about that blowhard on ICS.

Tom why do other rug (snobs) people really care if someone is or isn't cleaning 200 rugs a week? I'm not sure I understand the relevance or concern about that. Would you care to explain to someone outside the rug cleaning arena.

Rug people here don't care. It is not about a contest on how much one does in a week. It is about what was said to impress others.

Many agreed in the room that exaggeration does not assure credibility.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Gotcha I agree.

In fact I wouldn't believe too much of what is said here......by the way.........did I tell you about the (3) Moor units we have? :very_drunk:

j/k :lol:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
However there was a clarification about a baseless rumor that was making its way through the rug community concerning Robert Mann and rugs in seized Turkey. Val had firsthand knowledge that NO such misdeeds happened that could be attributed to Mr. Mann. Fact: Even some of the collectors, that came to California for their recent show, had already received these 'so-called' seized rugs. Most in the group were astonished to learn about such an attempt to malign his character.

We also learned firsthand that NO ONE cleans several hundred rugs a week in San Diego. Val is really familiar with the rug related people in the area. She even sold her company in the area that cleans rugs now.

Robert Mann is well respected in the industry In my 25 years I have only head good things about him. I have sent large rugs off to turkey for restoration always getting them back.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Robert Mann is well respected in the industry In my 25 years I have only head good things about him. I have sent large rugs off to turkey for restoration always getting them back.

389187_382245221825182_393036562_n_zps1a38d659.jpg

The picture I took in May this year shows Ahmet and Hasan Opcin owners of Antique Textile Conservation, with their good friend and USA business liaison for rug repair, Robert Mann. Their location is in Izmir, Turkey. They do fine work. NO funny business here!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom