Van Failed Inspection

ascrubabove

Took the van to a new local shop for state inspection, found inner tie rod ends worn and showed them to me. Hooks the computer up and every thing passes. Gets quote for tie rod parts and labor $285.00 and I tell him I want it fixed when I have an open day but go ahead and order the parts and I will schedule in the next couple days. had to pay for a failed inspection and after the repair will have to pay for another inspection :evil: I think these guys are working for smanly steemer!

BigMac41

If they need changed then they need changed BUT are you sure that is an inspect-able item that they are required to check to pass. It may not be and he is getting more business that way. I would get on-line with your state' department of transportation or who ever regulates and licenses the inspectors and look at a list of what is required.

Mac

ascrubabove

It is part of the inspection, most places here dont bother to look that close. With all the POS cars running the road, my van should not be the big concern. I made the appointment for the repair wednesday (no carpet scheduled), it would have been nice for them to pass my inspection so i could get my new tags.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
ascrubabove said:
It is part of the inspection, most places here dont bother to look that close. With all the POS cars running the road, my van should not be the big concern. I made the appointment for the repair wednesday (no carpet scheduled), it would have been nice for them to pass my inspection so i could get my new tags.

ummmmm NO.

Name
Lee Stockwell
My wife and daughter survived an accident where a van's drag link "fell off" and the van crossed over the centerline running them off the road.

Your comments lead me to believe you don't value YOUR life, so I'm glad someone else does.

Sincerely,
Lee

steve r

i would get a second opinion. i had a shop tell me the tie rods were bad while doing an alignment and couldnt do that unless they changed the tie rods. well i had put the tie rods on earlier in the year i had bought new tires and thats why i wanted the alignment.

i took it to another shop who gets all my business now and he just laughed and said there was nothing wrong with them. tie rods are easy to replace and usually they only cost about $35 bucks each but it does need to be aligned afterwards.

steve r

steve r said:
i would get a second opinion. i had a shop tell me the tie rods were bad while doing an alignment and couldnt do that unless they changed the tie rods. well i had put the tie rods on earlier in the year i had bought new tires and thats why i wanted the alignment.

i took it to another shop who gets all my business now and he just laughed and said there was nothing wrong with them. tie rods are easy to replace and usually they only cost about $35 bucks each but it does need to be aligned afterwards.

oops just saw the part where he showed them to you lol.

MerCrewser

I had a car back in high school that was steering funny. In for inspection I mentioned this. Passed the inspection. Few days later it blew a tie rod. They lost my business.

Name
R.J. Povio
legally if your vehicle fails a state inspection, they have the right to charge you again for the inspection once repairs are completed. Now a good business person (if the shop where the inspection failed does the work to make it pass inspection) should wave the 20 dollar fee (NYS FEE).
Peoples comments are right you do not want a tie rod or ball joint breaking...these vans carry lots of wieght and suspension parts wear faster as a result.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
ascrubabove said:

I would be extremely thankfull that they did "look that close".

What value do you put on the lives of people in that vehicle when something catastrophic may happen ??

Where would these people that "dont bother to look that close." legally stand in the case of a fatality after the vehicle had passed an inspection. ??

I would pay the fee, get the repairs done, then have another inspection and pay the fee.

But that's just me.

Ooroo,

:roll:

ascrubabove

I of all people value my life, I respect life, and I have also saved a few lives. Having been a mechanic for 23 years, I know the difference between things being worn and needing replaced PRIOR to something happening (preventive maintenance), and the idiots that drive down the road with sh*t falling off their cars. I cant even tell you how many road calls I've been to for wheels coming off cars, trucks, and trailers. Please everyone take the time and check your lug nuts. One time I found a big rigs wheel under a lady's house, it smashed through her dog ear fence, knocked over the dog house, and slid right under her house!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom