van question

dgargan

Care to take a guess at this one. About 3 years ago when I was on the truck I was driving my 03 GMC. I went to start it one day and as soon as it fired it would shut right off. It took about 30 times before it stayed running. It did this twice in 2 days and never did it again. Now, 3 years later it has done it twice in two days for my tech.Fire up then shuts off just like you cut the key off. What would do this?

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
David,

Sounds to me like you need to take it in for service, or do you have a mechanic who does your mechanical work.

Either way, since that truck is your money maker, get it on some diagnostic equipment to get it fixed right.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
That's probably going to be the anti theft device in the computer. It is possible that the chip in the key is bad, but it may be the computer shutting it down because it thinks your van has been swipped. My '05 Chevy did it. $700 took care of it.

dgargan

I'm leaning towards Jim's answer. I do recall seeing the security light on.
Bob we did take it in to be serviced but they could not find anything wrong. They said they can't fix it if it ain't broke. Which sucks because it does start after awhile so I would hate to have it towed knowing I can get it to run in a few minutes.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
That sounds exactly like the problem I had. It did it once, then again later, then worked fine for a month then completely quit in a customers driveway. The check engine light or either security light would come on. coincidentally, that customer just called today for a cleaning. It was pretty embarrassing having to get a customer to help you push your van out of the driveway so she can go pick her kids up.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
dgargan said:
Care to take a guess at this one. About 3 years ago when I was on the truck I was driving my 03 GMC. I went to start it one day and as soon as it fired it would shut right off. It took about 30 times before it stayed running. It did this twice in 2 days and never did it again. Now, 3 years later it has done it twice in two days for my tech.Fire up then shuts off just like you cut the key off. What would do this?

Your FUEL PUMP is on its ...LAST LEG..... thathurts

Next time it happens....Take a Hammer or a large wrench...&..BANG ON the bottom of the "Fuel Tank".... :shock:
"While someone is cranking the engine".........

Most of the time this will "complete the circuit"..and the van will start... :idea:

But it is TIME to REPLACE.... :!: "This is a COMMON problem with older GMC'S"... :evil:

ps..Have your mechanic check the "wire connector's" FIRST... :!: :!: :!: :!:
Sometimes...it is JUST corrosion from being exposed to the elements... !gotcha!

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I had a Lumina years ago that did the same. The computer was shutting it down because 4 fuel injectors were trashed. It could probably be a lot of things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom