VCT Questions

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Got talked into cleaning and waxing apx. 2000 sq ft new installation VCT in a warehouse today by an old friend/customer. Sprayed Flex with CitrusSolv, scrubbed with black pad, rinsed with water through Turbo Hybrid. Mopped two coats acrylic finish. Looks good. Customer happy happy and wants me to maintain it.

Should I apply more coats?

When to buff, and with what pad?

Where can I learn more about VCT? (It's kinda fun.) Didn't find a lot on the last few pages of the Hard Surface Hub.

Much obliged.

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
warehouse??? ick dirty quick....

what kinda chair bottoms??

and yes throw a few more on (hopefully before they get on it)

and in that situation weekly would work...

pads....well thats a trial and error, as to what matches the finish... but a beige pad with some hair in it is a good starting point

Reactions: Johnny

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Should I add more coats before buffing or buff between coats?

Buff dry or mist water or finish as I go?

If I can't get back to it for a week, and it has traffic, do I need to strip before applying more finish?

Last edited:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Knowing something more about the kind of traffic the floor will get and the finish used will help answer questions more precisely. But I would consider using 4 or 5 coats on most jobs.

Buffing between coats or after you finish is partly determined by how hard the finish is (each product is different) and how they will be maintaining it. Basically softer finishes wear away sooner, but require less work to get a nice shine. HArd finishes hold up better to heavy traffic but take longer or a higher speed machine to get the same gloss level.

Reactions: Johnny

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member

Buff dry or mist water or finish as I go?

If I can't get back to it for a week, and it has traffic, do I need to strip before applying more finish?

I wouldnt buff between coats personally, not until you have more experience. It definitely kicks up the shine a notch but we will notice more then a customer will.

Buff dry or mist water or finish as I go? always liked spray buff, either top guard or snapback with a horsehair pad

If I can't get back to it for a week, and it has traffic, do I need to strip before applying more finish? i would give it a quick scrub with white/red pad before adding more finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom