VCT strip and wax pricing

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
just got an old commercial carpet cleaning acct back, but if I want it back I gotta do a ton of strip & wax on the VCT areas as well...what's the going rate per sq ft on this? Just a ball park figure....don't really want to do this but the carpet $$$ is good and it's a school that pays quick..thanks...Bill

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Brian R said:
Hope it's not the school we are doing in Dec!! :shock: shiteatinggrin J/k
LOL...nah...they were using a janitor co. after I left for NV so it's not one of yours :lol: I'm doing it when the kids go for break on thanksgiving...lotsa work..looking forward to it plus I have the entire week to get it all done shiteatinggrin

Name
Lee Stockwell
Price depends more on your negotiation situation and skills than on any "going rate". I make out well at .50 on some, but every job is different. Best to have a project big enough so that you never have to wait for finish to dry between coats.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
uh depends on the equipment you have

how much floor there is

is it big areas or little tiny ones?

being its an acct that you do other stuff it could range from as little as .10 if all the stars a lined to as much as .35

does that help??

you can PM or call me if ya want

Name
Lee Stockwell
floorguy said:

how much floor there is

being its an acct that you do other stuff it could range from as little as .10 if all the stars a lined to as much as .35

does that help??

Your pricing must not include supplies. I'm picky about the stripper, finish, and tools I use on VCT. Usually use 6 or 7 coats of Buckeye Castleguard or equivalent (tall order).

Experimenting with a new one-coat finish.

Thanks,
Lee

Ryan

Lee Stockwell said:
floorguy said:

how much floor there is

does that help??

Your pricing must not include supplies. I'm picky about the stripper, finish, and tools I use on VCT. Usually use 6 or 7 coats of Buckeye Castleguard or equivalent (tall order).

Thanks,
Lee

I've got a brother in law thats been in the bussiness for 30 years that won't use anything other then Castle Guard. I like spartan ishine better. It seems to hold up better for me. I think he only lays 4-5 coats though. I will usually put 5-6. Care to explain some more about the one coat finish? That would be amazing for me if it actually works and strips up easily.

Pricing usually depends on the size of the account. If you don't have an auto scrubber or propane burnisher your going to have to charge more. .35 PSF seems to be the winning bid for me ususally. The money is in the maintaince.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
being its an acct that you do other stuff it could range from as little as .10

10 cents to strip and wax??????? OMG!!! :shock:

think I'd rather flip burgers .....

..l.T.A.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Too many various factors - I love Ultra Chem products, spendy, but they work very well. How much build up? What do the edges look like? What will the janitors use for cleaning?
I start at 50 but have gone to a buck if it's ugly.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
i know it's a loaded question...they're classrooms with entrys of 8x8....break areas of around 20x8....it's not very dirty but he wants a mirrorlike shine and will pay for it...just trying to figure if I can make at least $75 per hour...got a helper as well, he doesn't get as much

Ryan

Bee Busy said:
i know it's a loaded question...they're classrooms with entrys of 8x8....break areas of around 20x8....it's not very dirty but he wants a mirrorlike shine and will pay for it...just trying to figure if I can make at least $75 per hour...got a helper as well, he doesn't get as much

.75 PSF... Burnish the floor after your done stripping and burnish it between coats.

It will be so glossy you will be able to see up girls skirts... :shock:

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Ryan said:
Bee Busy said:

.75 PSF... Burnish the floor after your done stripping and burnish it between coats.

hey Ryan...what speed to burnish? how many coats of Spartan to achive this look? thanks...Bill

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Lee Stockwell said:
floorguy said:

how much floor there is

does that help??

Thanks,
Lee

Does anyone her use the wax that is cured with ultra-violet light? I 'member seeing that system years ago, but don't know if anyone is using such a system.

Ryan

Bee Busy said:
Ryan said:
[quote="Bee Busy":nug4qvwp]i know it's a loaded question...they're classrooms with entrys of 8x8....break areas of around 20x8....it's not very dirty but he wants a mirrorlike shine and will pay for it...just trying to figure if I can make at least $75 per hour...got a helper as well, he doesn't get as much

hey Ryan...what speed to burnish? how many coats of Spartan to achive this look? thanks...Bill[/quote:nug4qvwp]

I use a 2500 RPM Propane burnisher, if you have one it works best. 5-6 coats. If your going to burnish between coats be sure to make sure the entire floor is dry. If you hit a tacky spot with the burnisher it will leave the floor looking nasty.

Name
Lee Stockwell
White pad, can spraybuff with a little plain water, anything over 1500 rpm is great. With propane be careful as Ryan noted. It's a finnese thing, easy does it until you get it.

Steve Manier

Wow .10 a square foot! I won"t touch brand new VCT for less than .35 and have gone .50 to 1.00 on a strip or scrub. VCT is hard ass work. Especially if the floor has multipe coats of wax over dirt. It's mostly done late at nite or on weekends You have to "guard dog" your job so some idiot wont go walking over slippery stripper or wet wax and hurt themselves or put footprints in the wax. It takes 3 times longer than cleaning carpet or tile & grout. No wonder the MMM stays in business when theres still guys out there that will do VCT so cheap.

Steve

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
You guys are funny...that would be why you all are slanted 90% carpet and 10% misc....

When i was a 90% floor guy and had the Family dollars in my area....it was $950 to strip (i had taken care of them through the yr, makes it like new floor strip) for anywhere from 7000 up to 10,000 sqft...

So i would strip them...3 of us total, they were there for 4 hrs and i was there a total of 8..that was waiting for finish to dry etc..

my cost was about $200-250 ish

so i was clearing 700 for 8 hrs work...@13 or so a ft....

oh did i mention that this BIG company had me paid within 10-12 days...counting me mailing invoice and them mailing check...

its about a system being in place...that makes you the $$$$ and the return trips.....stripping your own work is cake...its when you gotta fix someone elses shit it gets costly....

do a vet place...takes 2 days cuz they gotta move stuff from one side to the other...

$1000 at about 5 hrs each day

to bad most the hard floor care has gone to the MMM who charge shit

Steve Manier

Doug, I have no doubt that you do excellent work. I have followed your post here and over on the ICS floorcare board for a few years. You know your stuff when it comes to VCT. I would love to know your system to make that kind of money per hour at those square footage prices. We do a great job but our prodution rates suck!

Steve

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
based on size of open areas etc but I run 35 cents for 5,000+ and 45-50cents under that

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
the stripper machine

http://aztecproducts.com/

an autoscrubber (we have 2 and makes it a breeze)

its ALWAYS the edges that kill you...

thats why i said i get (not quiet killed but) on the 1st visit...but if i know i am coming back i make it up on the strips later

Steve Manier

ahh yes the sidewinder.... We have everything but the propane stripping machine. We have been using a 17 inch electric for years. We rarely do anything over 10k sq ft but I still need to look into one of those. And yes about the edges! Thanks Doug

Steve

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
pfft over 10..... i take that thing into my 1000 sqft ones.....

only place i dont take it, is in places i have to carry it

Ryan

Lee Stockwell said:
With the right stripper you don't need a monster machine to melt it off.

Kind of what I was thinking. A couple of passes with an autoscrubber is all it takes for me. Using a 175 is wack though all those cords and extension cords gets old.

Lots of razorback black pads and FRESH stripper is the way to do it.

Ryan

My biggest problem isn't so much striping the edges as it is having stripper go under shelves and seep back out then dry on the floor leaving nasty yellow puddles.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Ryan said:
Lee Stockwell said:
With the right stripper you don't need a monster machine to melt it off.

Kind of what I was thinking. A couple of passes with an autoscrubber is all it takes for me. Using a 175 is wack though all those cords and extension cords gets old.

Lots of razorback black pads and FRESH stripper is the way to do it.

stripper does help....

BUT

much like carpets.....chem is good...a bad ass machine is BETTER

pads are so 70s......use brushes...pads gunk up and loose ability

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i would listen to doug, he knows what he is talking about. at .35 a ft i usally make a killing. so a 10000 sqft building with 10 large areas(bigger rooms and hallways) and 10 small areas (offices and bathrooms ect) i can strip it with 4 guys and all electric machines in about 7 hours, and thats completly cut and ready to throw down finish. two guys and 4 hours (pending if you have to stop to allow drying - that is going to based on the layout of the space where work is going to be performed) can lay down 4-5 coats of finish.

on this size job i will usaully spend about 400 dollars or less on all supplies/consumables.

so if i am paying 20 dollars an hour times a total 36 hours. it equals 720 labor plus 400 materials (assuming you have floor machines, a scrubber and atleast a wetvac and dont need to rent anything to do the job) it will cost you under 1200 to do the job and you will be charging 3500 plus tax for the job.

2300 profit on a 12 hour job is good where i come from. please keep in mind if there will be any moving of furniture to and from as an increase in price should be added. and if you are one of the four and one of the two throwing the wax you will clear 2500 dollars that day.

also if job has detail specs such as what solids and or what brand of finish to use price will need to reflect those specs. in other words on some jobs it will be okay to use johnsons premia wich is a medium solids (22 percent i believe) finish that dont require as much maintenance and some jobs will require johnsons showplace or equilvelant high gloss high solids (25 percent solids) finish that requiers more maintenance and that can be maintained with both conventional and uhs (ultra high speed) units.differences in finishedcould cost almost 40 percent more than the cheaper finish.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Lee Stockwell said:
Not if they're shower fed.

played that game...it sucked (or spit rather)

ill take the brushes with some splash guards on them anyday

now you see why i had a shitty little carpet machine all those years...

now i got the bigger machine AND all my hard floor stuff... shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
After last nights job... You cant charge enough:!: LOL Anyway generally between .38-.50 depending on size frequency and maintenance plan options. These are what my market will bare.. Your market may vary considerably.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom