VCT with an OP?

M

Mark Imbesi

How heavy would it need to be? I gots a Challenger 3/4hp that weighs about 80lbs.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
They scrub fine... They just sling too much slurry for my tastes. Maybe you could get away with it in an open area. Also the action of the machine makes the stripper faom up too much.

Fon Johnson

The Tile Nerd said:
Has anyone burnished with an OP machine?

It is not really possible. Burnishing by nature (and definition) is the act of shining by rubbing at a high rate of speed. By definition a UHS machine (burnisher) operates at 1500+ RPM.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
The Tile Nerd said:
Doesn't the OP produce the equivalent of over 1700 rpms.

NO

put your hand under a op, then try and put it under a high speed....

then let me know how you like typing left handed :wink:

Tile Nerd

sweendogg said:
Burnish.... no.. but you could buff with it.. :idea:

What good would it do to buff... a 175 will do that. My thought was for maintenance on waxed surfaces.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
The Tile Nerd said:
sweendogg said:
Burnish.... no.. but you could buff with it.. :idea:

What good would it do to buff... a 175 will do that. My thought was for maintenance on waxed surfaces.

To hell if I know what good its for.... but think car wax job. A good polisher/buffer is a smaller version of an op machine. Just food for thought.

Here is some more info.

http://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_po ... PID=149878

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea buit thats for the homeowner newbies out there....

go to a good detail shop and its a highspeed one

Fon Johnson

With all due respect (seriously):

You CANNOT do with an orbital car buffer what you can do with a high speed rotary buffer. Ask any detail guys. The orbital buffer is to keep the average Joe sixpack from ruining his paint when he does his annual carnuba rubbing ritual. A pro with a high speed rotary can do some wonderful things to paint.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

2 Totaly different methods of operation....

are ya joe hackster or what???

it is the actual RUBBING motion that a rotary makes which gives it the "polishing" effect

I dont care what people tell you...OP will not buff period the end....

the reason OP type things work is this....."its next to impossible to ruin with it..." look at wood work...round sander vs orbital...you would have to sit and hold it DOWN in one spot ALOT longer to do the damage your typical round or belt sander would do...

get it??

John G

You never heard that from me PigTurd!

No it will not burnish or polish. It OSCILLATES, ORBITS, yes at 1725 OPMs, but only has about 60-90 RPM's which doesn't produce
nearly enough heat to do the job.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
a monkey pad with an op machine is suppose to shine a waxed floor very well, I have not done it but that is what I was told

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
oh good lord..... :roll:

uh huh, lets look at the chemistry here and the make up of the 2..

Monkey pads have diamonds made for CUTTING!!!!!!!!!!!

Floor finish (not wax) is made to be buffed/polished by heat and friction to re-align the polymers...NOT be cut into....

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
hummm is that what its all about???? :evil:

kinda like the little boy who cried wolf...

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
no I simply can't communicate my thoughts very well.. I was trying to agree with all you smart people.. didn't do a good job.. thats why I thought bawb might be proud of me. He said he was in the RR

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I would not do it with a rougher grit but fine grit?. It is friction with very little pad pressure compared to a propane buffer.

Liked said, never tried it, have you?

talk to the man that sells them, maybe he can give you the 411

Many say you can't polish with Monkey pads either but Ron seems to make it work fine. The say they aren't tough enough to remove lippage but a fine grit is to rough for wax? Will it remove some wax with each buffing, yup.

Fon Johnson

steve frasier said:
I would not do it with a rougher grit but fine grit?. It is friction with very little pad pressure compared to a propane buffer.

Liked said, never tried it, have you?

talk to the man that sells them, maybe he can give you the 411

Many say you can't polish with Monkey pads either but Ron seems to make it work fine. The say they aren't tough enough to remove lippage but a fine grit is to rough for wax? Will it remove some wax with each buffing, yup.

Steve, why don't you try it and let us know. There is a big difference between polymers and stone. I just don't want to see any new guys get led astray here. I would imagine that even fine grit stone polish pads would remove and swirl finish more than a green scrub pad. We'll just start a new thread and ask Dana..

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I understand your point of view. Monkey pads wouldn't be a very cost effective way to do it anyway. Would I try it with some Pioneer or Spartan products on some VCT, sure but not with some of Rickies Home Depo Specials or on sheet vinyl.

The question was asked, I just try to give an answer based on what I was told from the owner of the company. He even sent me the pads to do it but I sent them back.

I need to add that the VCT waxed floor that it was tried on was done with a rotary not an op. I am sure it probably had enough finish on it also.

I personally wouldn't scrub a floor with a bonnet and pine sol but from what I read some people do it.

Some call it floor finish and some call it a coat of film, but is really the same thing. Kind of like going from global warming to climate change or even calling it steam cleaning instead of HWE, I am sure you get the point.

if you think the post is wrong or misleading then remove my post or delete the thread, either way it doesn't bother me

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom