Verizon iPhone: Coming Next Spring

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I know what my next phone will be.

SAN FRANCISCO — Facing intense competition from phone makers wedded to Google’s Android software, Apple’s chief executive, Steven P. Jobs, plans to bring the iPhone to Verizon Wireless, the largest wireless carrier in the United States.

After more than three years of using only AT&T cellphone networks, Apple is making a version of the iPhone 4 for Verizon’s network, according to a person who is in direct contact with Apple. Apple and Verizon will begin selling the phone early next year, the person said, who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity because the plans were supposed to be confidential and he did not want to alienate his contacts at Apple.

Apple and Verizon Wireless declined to comment.

The arrival of the iPhone on Verizon, which has long been expected and frequently rumored, could significantly alter the dynamics of the smartphone market in the United States. The iPhone remains the best-selling smartphone. But around the world, many carriers, especially those that do not have access to the iPhone, have been promoting an array of models running on Google’s Android software. Collectively, those phones now outsell the iPhone.

This week, Nielsen reported that the Android accounted for 32 percent of the smartphones sold in the United States in last six months. By comparison, the iPhone accounted for just 25 percent. The numbers confirm those of other research outfits.

The ascent of Android has been rapid and dramatic and threatens to blunt the Apple’s lead in the market for high-end smartphones. No other Apple product brings in as much revenue as the iPhone, and analysts say that seeing that lucrative market imperiled may have finally pushed Apple into ending its exclusivity with AT&T.

“Android has tremendous momentum,” said A.M. Sacconaghi Jr., an analyst with the research firm Sanford C. Bernstein. Growth of Android is in large part because the iPhone is not available on Verizon and some major carriers overseas.

“Apple moving to sign up these carriers is very important to help mitigate Android momentum,” Mr. Sacconaghi said.

A Verizon iPhone could quickly tilt the marketplace back in Apple’s favor. For all its success, the iPhone on AT&T has been plagued by complaints of poor network coverage, especially in major cities like New York and San Francisco. Many potential customers have chosen to buy Android handsets from other carriers to avoid problems with dropped calls and dead zones.

But many surveys show that many owners of Android handsets would buy an iPhone, if it were available on Verizon. At the same time, AT&T iPhone customers may switch to Verizon as their contracts expire, even though they would have to buy a new phone to do so. Apple’s AT&T phone, which uses G.S.M. networking technology, would not work on Verizon’s network, which uses a different networking technology called C.D.M.A.

“It is going to have a fairly disruptive impact when it lands,” Charles Wolf, an analyst with Needham & Company, said.

Another factor that could be pushing Apple to break out of its AT&T exclusivity is the impending arrival of phones running Microsoft’s new Windows Phone 7 software. The two companies are making a joint announcement about its phones Monday. Early reviews have been positive, and Microsoft, which has faltered repeatedly in the phone business, plans to spend heavily to market the handsets.

“Windows phones should not be dismissed,” Mr. Wolf said. “They will be a major player in the market.”

While the arrival of the iPhone on Verizon had long been expected, some industry insiders doubted that Apple would bring the iPhone to Verizon before the carrier deploys its next generation network, known as LTE.

But in an interview this week, Tony Melone, the chief technology officer of Verizon Wireless, suggested that those doubters could be wrong. Mr. Melone did not comment on the iPhone, but he said that while Verizon would begin rolling out its new network in 40 American cities by the end of the year, the company’s older 3G network would continue to grow for several years. He also said that Verizon would continue “selling 3G devices well into the decade, possibly through the end of the decade.”

However, while LTE phones will be backward compatible so they can run on Verizon’s older 3G network, those 3G phones will not run on the new, faster LTE network.

The arrival of the iPhone to Verizon could further bolster Apple’s bottom line, with some analysts predicting the company could sell an additional 10 million devices a year. But analysts say that investors have long expected Apple and Verizon would come to terms eventually and Apple’s stock price already reflects that.

Indeed, over the last year, a flurry of reports have predicted a Verizon iPhone was imminent. On Wednesday, the Wall Street Journal reported that the iPhone would be available on Verizon early next year.

The new iPhone, tailored for C.D.M.A. networks, could also expand Apple’s presence a few Asian and Latin American markets that use that technology.

-JB-

Name
JB
What could the I-phone do that the Droid doesn't?

The droid ROCKS!

TimP

JB said:
What could the I-phone do that the Droid doesn't?

The droid ROCKS!

I got the news about the I phone the other day.

All I can say is that it's too little too late. Android phones wouldn't of caught on as much if had apple decided to allow verizon to sell the Iphone from the start. Poor business decision if you ask me.

That's like saying I'll do carpet cleaning but only this half of the city.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I agree with Tim. I wanted an iPhone so bad for so long. Now that I have a droid, that desire is far gone. I don't want to go to ATT and I don't believe the continual rumors that it is coming to Verizon. The Droid does all that an iPhone can do.
I agree, bad business move to only put it on ATT.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I had a jailbroken Iphone that I used here in Montana for about six months. Broke it and decided to try out the Droid. It was an HTC Eris and it left my wanting my Iphone back. I just recently went with a Droid X from Motorola and I don't think I'll miss the Iphone at all anymore. Love it!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I just got a droid X, after having Motorolas original droid. the X flat out stomps the piss out of it, if you have the original droid upgrading to the X is worth plunking down the $200 to upgrade, its that much better, espeically if you don't like the flip out keyboard, not having it allows you to use the rubbery cell phone covers, which are nice to grip and better protect the phone.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
apples shit is to over hyped anyway...

android OS is the flat out bees knees....and it doesnt have to be OKd with apple :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
This report was released by Apple to keep their stock overpriced. Various Google phones have been very well received and the Windows phones are about to hit the market, so the Apple camp fears the bubble is about to burst. If you have Apple stock I would think this might be a signal that you should "do some profit taking."

Verizon doesn't really care about selling the I-phone anymore, as Apple charges so much for their phones that only Apple makes money on the deal. AT&T says they wished they'd never signed on with Apple, as the bandwidth use and the costs involved with carrying the phone have left them so cash short they can't upgrade their system. Apple continues to add bandwidth draining apps and blames AT&T for everything. At this point AT&T would like to see I-phones sold by others so their competitors can also lose money working with Apple.

If you're an I-phone fan and want to switch carriers, you might want to stay put for a few months. The phone that Apple will release for CDMA networks will be a 3G version (to suck money out of the early adopters) and will release a 4G version in another six months.

Becker

Name
Becker
They will sell!

Apple anything is hot with the 25 and under crowd.

Any time I go to the apple store it is jam packed!

People like verizon, I much prefer verizon over att.

I see it.. People lining up on release date.

If there is one thing I have learned about the stock market, it is when something is so obvious that a trade should go that way, you better bet the other way. Instead of Apples stock going down and Verizons going up, the exact opposite happened. Apple has a ton of cash on hand and MAC sales are not going down anytime soon. Apples stock is really high right now, but this news does not mean the stock will go down. The general public takes news like this and instantly thinks I better short APP, but the stock could still go up another hundred points. If you own app stock, just buy some puts to protect against any downside. I am no stock expert, but I have learned when everyone is betting one way, you better go the opposite.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
The Great Oz said:
This report was released by Apple to keep their stock overpriced. Various Google phones have been very well received and the Windows phones are about to hit the market, so the Apple camp fears the bubble is about to burst. If you have Apple stock I would think this might be a signal that you should "do some profit taking."

Verizon doesn't really care about selling the I-phone anymore, as Apple charges so much for their phones that only Apple makes money on the deal. AT&T says they wished they'd never signed on with Apple, as the bandwidth use and the costs involved with carrying the phone have left them so cash short they can't upgrade their system. Apple continues to add bandwidth draining apps and blames AT&T for everything. At this point AT&T would like to see I-phones sold by others so their competitors can also lose money working with Apple.

If you're an I-phone fan and want to switch carriers, you might want to stay put for a few months. The phone that Apple will release for CDMA networks will be a 3G version (to suck money out of the early adopters) and will release a 4G version in another six months.

the i phone is the only thing that has kept AT&T in business, if verizon would have got it first they would be history. back around 2003 or 2004 I left AT&T because it was almost as if they wanted to go out of business, terrible phone, dropped calls, and they phased out the best cell plane for me. verizon kicks AT&T's butt so much it aint even funny.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Apple be pretty to look at, but a shrew to live with.

If Verizon sells the I-phone I doubt they will be willing to let Apple screw with them the way they did AT&T. Verizon recently introduced tiered data rates for data hogs, which may be in preparation for selling I-phones. Verizon won't have the problems that AT&T did because they will transfer the higher costs to the user, and they won't have to deal with taking the blame for the I-phone's hardware and software problems. I think Jobs has learned that he gets caught when he lies and if he throws another partner under the bus he's going to run out of partners.

LeeCory

No doubt that if Verizon got the Iphone it would sell.

It took Verizon forever to get a good phone to compete with the Iphone and now that the Droids have evolved a bit, there is no reason to ever get an Iphone. The Droid X and the Droid 2 and Incredible are solid devices and I wouldn't trade my D2 for my friends Iphone for any reason.

I am into rooting and flashing the latest roms on my Droid 2 and it can do things the Iphone can't.

For years I wanted an Iphone but only if it was on Verizon.... now I don't care.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
steve g said:
I just got a droid X, after having Motorolas original droid. the X flat out stomps the piss out of it, if you have the original droid upgrading to the X is worth plunking down the $200 to upgrade, its that much better, espeically if you don't like the flip out keyboard, not having it allows you to use the rubbery cell phone covers, which are nice to grip and better protect the phone.

Not if you root and overclock the original droid. You can do alot more custimization with the droid like FREE wifi tethering once rooted. Last I heard part of the X is still locked down and can't be custimized. Running different roms is like having a new phone all the time. I think I will hold onto my droid until verizon gets 4G LTE in my area. As for the iphone I really really wanted one a year ago until verizon announced the droid. So glad they did as even my friends with iphones like the features on my droid, and now when they are around and get crappy at&t 3g they just use my droid wifi free hotspot!

LeeCory

tracywalker said:
steve g said:

Not if you root and overclock the original droid. You can do alot more custimization with the droid like FREE wifi tethering once rooted. Last I heard part of the X is still locked down and can't be custimized. Running different roms is like having a new phone all the time. I think I will hold onto my droid until verizon gets 4G LTE in my area. As for the iphone I really really wanted one a year ago until verizon announced the droid. So glad they did as even my friends with iphones like the features on my droid, and now when they are around and get crappy at&t 3g they just use my droid wifi free hotspot!

Both the X and Droid 2 are also rooted and overclocked now to 1400. You can load countless custom roms also... and wifi tether is a given. I had a Droid 1 overclocked to 1200 and it didn't compare to my D2 at stock 1000. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my D1, but you should give an X or a D2 a try. They are very easily rooted and overclocked now! They still have a locked bootloader, but the developer community is awesome and have easily worked around it.

There are 1 click scripts to root and overclock both devices! Very easy!

rick imby

Name
Rick
The problems that At&t had with overloaded circuits will probably not be a problem with Verizon. The Droid users actually use more data on average than the Iphone users do. There will be a huge rush to Verizon for the Iphone for a lot of people that "Love their Iphone" and want to be on Verizon.

Google has gotten their platform in front of a lot of users and it will come to dominate. Their momentum is huge and will overpower the Apple platform.

Microsoft is again last to market and will never make it. When they were just competing with Apple they could be last to market and then come in and kick a** because of all the Apple quirks.

It is pretty cool that a bunch of carpet suckers are so up on goings on in the phone world.

************It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.
Robert A. Heinlein

*Straight Talk Unlimited*

Straight Talk Unlimited vs Net10 Unlimited

*Net10 minutes for 3 cents*

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
The new rumored Incredible HD that may come to verizon on November 23 has me wanting to drop the droid 1 lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom