Vertical engine for a TM??

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
As many probably know a Vertical engine such as a Kohler can be bought for sometimes 1/3 the cost of a Horizontal engine.

My question to you is, can there be a way to use a gear box bolted to the shaft to provide an horizontal shaft for the equipment?

Or could one just mount the blower in a vertical position? or would this cause damage to the bearings?

Greenie

Re: Verticle engine for a TM??

It's kind of like Cleaning Chemistry, we knew everything we needed to know in the late 1800s, the TMs were figured out in the 70s, go with what works.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

id like to know to.....

I have a few propane motors from buffers i could use...

propane motor.....propane heater.... woot

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree

I think it could work, It would just take a few "Mickey mouse" mods to keep the blowers rear bearings in oil.
Or maybe just fill the oil case more than half way.

Also water inject the blower to keep it nice and cool :)

gasaxe

i dont see it happening. the weight of the rotors pushing forward or backward towards the endplate would cause them to start rubbing. Internal tolerances on these blowers are pretty tight. It doesnt take much force to push the rotors into the headplate.

Maybe if you put a super thin torington style bering or something on the end of each rotor shaft to keep it spaced off of the end plate. You would have to have some way to oil the ends of the rotors. That would be a bit messy with oil in the blower exhaust. You could put a oil separator on the exhaust side, similiar to what a screw style air compressor has. Could get a bit pricey using new stuff but if you could scrounge up some "junkyard" stuff you might could make it work.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree

Upon giving this more thought, Ive come to the conclusion the only real way to utilize a Vert. engine would be to "twist" the belt and keep the blower upright.

Greenie

the question of the day is, why do Vert. engines cost less than Horizontal engines, especially in the water cooled family, those round radiators are kung fu.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree

Greenie said:
the question of the day is, why do Vert. engines cost less than Horizontal engines, especially in the water cooled family, those round radiators are kung fu.

Maybe because there are SO many out there due to the lawn mower industry, causing the price to go down?

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas

AshleyMckendree said:
Upon giving this more thought, Ive come to the conclusion the only real way to utilize a Vert. engine would be to "twist" the belt and keep the blower upright.

I've got a zero turn mower with a Koehler horizontal engine and a vertical deck.
The 5V Belts make (4) 1/4 turns through a series of pulleys and tensioners.
Who says a belt has to run straight?

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree

KevinD said:
AshleyMckendree said:

I've got a zero turn mower with a Koehler horizontal engine and a vertical deck.
The 5V Belts make (4) 1/4 turns through a series of pulleys and tensioners.
Who says a belt has to run straight?

Any pics? :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom