Vortex/Box truck roll top problem.

Mikey P

Administrator
a couple years back one of my cable spools came loose causing the cable to get all crossed up. Easy fix.

Now today the shaft that both spools and the loaded spring are mounted on came out of one of the end bearings. Basically it is way to far to the left now.

Can someone tell me the quick fix?

Do I have to unload both spools to slide the shaft back and make it even?

Please tell me I don have to mess with that spring, that thing looks deadly.

John Watson

Smartest thing I heard a frog say!!!!..

specily with a big head like yours it sure as heck would become a natural target .

Walt

Did you fix it the last time with a couple of vice grips? Not sure exactly what you mean - but you can take the tension off of the spools by using a pair of vice grips to "roll" them back. Use one to grab and wind. Then hold it in place with the other. Keep going and the spring will get really tight but you can unroll the wire completely. If you get stuck call Sean at FMI - they mess with those things all the time.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I looked at mine, but it looks like what happened to your door couldn't happen to mine
why can't you just loosen eveything up a little to get some play in the system, unhook the cables from the outside bottom of the door
hold the shaft in place with pipe wrench to keep the spring from reverse spooling
and slide it back over then tighten everything back up

probably a 2 person job

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you have to unload it and realign everything and then load it back up...............and you are right they can be ugly.....

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Mikey,
I didn't see your pictures. However I had to reload my when I bought the used V. Read an article on overhead doors off the net a dozen times. Tried the screwdriver thing a couple of times to save some money (Don't use even big screwdrivers!!!) they will slip off and potentially very dangerous. I went to Lowes and bought a 36 in 1/2 or 3/8 inch solid rod and hack sawed into two pieces. This worked great.

I would do as Jim says and unload everthing and align it and reset. It actually was easy after studing the procedure. If your doors has 5 panels which I think they all do go 5 full turns + 3/4 extra turn, then lock her down good and then turn a tad so you can get the one bar out and she will work like a charm. I can lift my easy now but until I turned it the correct amount of turns it was impossible to open the door!

Mikey P

Administrator
Actually it needed 8 turns

Draw a line with chalk straight across the loose spring and wind/expand it until you have 8 spirals of chalk line.

Works like a charm now.

Better than new actually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom