Vortex on a 2000 NPR chassis?

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
No issues what-so-ever with my 99' 777 V, but im looking at a 2000 Isuzu NPR, it has 60 more Ponys, and fewer miles than my UD... what looks like the same exact tranny/pto port, wheelbase is slightly longer.

I also have experience swapping van bodies, so its nothing new to me.

Equipment will be coming out anyways, to have the floor sprayed with Line-X platinum (They are coming to the shop)

Any opinions?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have (2) 01's and (1) 02 NPR neither have any real power. Tough to go over 70 and will never make it to 80 even with your foot to the floor.

I gave up on the Isuzu's the last box truck I bought was a Chevy and the one on order is a Chevy. I like looks of the Isuzu's but we haul a lot of weight and run up and down the highway quite a bit and need that extra power.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No they are Turtles. :winky:

Gas, I only have the LCF left that is diesel. Bought it with the intent of saving on fuel....then diesel went higher that gas. :errf:

I gave up on diesel too. The guys would let the glow plugs warm up and would just start her. Too hard for them to go back and forth from gas to diesel. Twice I had tech's put gas in the diesel, can we say dummmb assss? Just above the fuel cap it says "Diesel Only" . :dejection:

Connor

Name
Connor
I've learned not to get in a hurry with my 04 turbo diesel. Approaching ten years old and has cost me very little to own. What's the liter displacement on that model? mine is a 4.8. The new UD trucks are alot more powerful, but I was told that they were going to stop making the UD in 2014 or 2015. The Hino is a good truck, but not the cabover that I prefer.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Our LCF only has 44K miles but she pulls out slow even if your pedal is flat to the floor it takes 6-7 seconds to get moving to any serious speed. Could that be the turbo?

I fueled up a couple of those Isuzu's and they are under 40K miles but the box shows the 12 years of use. I'm glad we will have the Spartan's as the new #1 & #2 water trucks. The Isuzu's will still make good units for when we get larger projects, multiple losses at a time or when all hell breaks loose.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
No issues what-so-ever with my 99' 777 V, but im looking at a 2000 Isuzu NPR, it has 60 more Ponys, and fewer miles than my UD... what looks like the same exact tranny/pto port, wheelbase is slightly longer.

I also have experience swapping van bodies, so its nothing new to me.

Equipment will be coming out anyways, to have the floor sprayed with Line-X platinum (They are coming to the shop)

Any opinions?

I also believe the frame rails are wider on the isuzu?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You should call Jim eckman I believe he had a truck you are describing and sold it with the quickness, but again ask him.

You do realize your trucks has been working hard for 13 years about to be 14 years strong?

Why mess with one of the most reliable cleaning plants in the world?

Last edited:

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
They dont call me "Fix what aint broke" for nothin!

...I may actually just buy this Isuzu and put a butler in it thats ony my shop floor right now.

Mike Draper

I'm running the Isuzu with the GMC has motor in it. I wanted it for the simplicity of the gas motor. I only drive 8-10k a year. My jobs are all very close.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
True but yours is a slide in. He wants to PTO it off tranny....which is totally doable

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Main problem I see with the gas engine is controlling engine temp for long periods of time.

I have seen some tow truck isuzus that were gas but they engage pro only 15-20 max. Imagine a commercial job at 2-3 hours.

Scott Rogers

Main problem I see with the gas engine is controlling engine temp for long periods of time.

I have seen some tow truck isuzus that were gas but they engage pro only 15-20 max. Imagine a commercial job at 2-3 hours.

dont see that as a problem. Its the same engine used in the GMC/Chevy Butlers. and they can run all day on a job.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
a cabover does not have a traditional radiator position setup and doesnt (have not performed any test) move air over the engine the same way a tradional van or truck with an open grill that allows air to freely enter the engine compartment through a large opening tye grill.

on both my uds and my ford lcf the "grill" is just there to be the look of the grill, but is not in fact a actual air flowing grill/radiator setup as a tradinal vehicle is setup. on the isuzus it also appears to be a grill but as to follow other low cab forwards design trends, i must tend or lean to say the grill is also not a full flow through grill.

this and diesel having more torque efficiently, is why the diesels out sell the gas motor lcf 9 to 1 ( i used to work in a medium duty truck shop/dealership) and that goes for all brands that we sold at the time- ud-isuzu-cheverlet-hino-steerling-mack.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom