Vortex owners, UD question

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
I just bought a 99 Vortex. Drove it around Burlington VT where I picked it up yesterday. No problems. Cleaned with it, no problems. I drove it home today and after driving at top speed (chuckle chuckle) for a while, I let off the accelrator and when I accelorated again, it started making a noise like a belt pulley screaming. After about a minute it stopped. It did this randomly all the way home (3 1/2 hour drive). Inginve ran strong, tranny seemed to shift great, but I kept getting this noise. Any ideas, or is this normal?

Thanks,
Ed

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
first thing I would look at is how much play is in the A/C and the drive belt......let me know........

G

could be the bearings on the ac , could be a loose hose on the turbo ( but thats like a wail not a screeching noise )

turn off the ac and see if it continues - if not check the turbo hose and tighten the clamp .

Name
Al
Try doing the same thing with the Jake Brake off. The switch is on the right side of the steering wheel, kind of like a turn light switch. We have had problems with ours.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Don't think it has AC. I thought it was the exhaust brake, but it was off and it seemed to make no difference when I turned it on or off.

This noise could be described as a screaming sound. The nearest thing I could relate it to was a belt or pulley sound.

I checked this truck for oil leaks before I bought it. Didn't see evidence. I just went to the shop and there is a small oil puddle under the truck now....Yeah :p

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
You better keep that mechanic on retainer and get his home number. If it is still running, I stop down this week and take a look.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
where is the small oil leak.......??

It is not to uncommon for a few drops of oil to drip out of the blow by hose that is located on the drivers side behind the cab...it will exhaust the back pressure out if it gets to high......and drip a few drops...no big deal.....

check the tension on the belts....

the exhaust break should pull the truck back and slow it down when you completely let off the gas...( the light on the dash should come on)......when you get to about 15 mph then it should shut itself off.....if it is not working right....make sure that the RPM's on the machine are all the way off and the fast idle knob on the dash is all the way off........good places to start..........

joe harper

Name
joe harper
I am SURE they do.... :shock:

It is something of a "Right of Passage"...with new Vortex owners... :roll:

Reminds me of the OLE BOAT adage...

Your two happiest days of owning one...

The day you BUY-IT.... :D
And the day YOU SELL-IT... :lol:

Sombody..."gLaZeD those bEltS"... :oops:
Either the Buyer...or.... The Seller.... :wink:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
mine just started doing that but i do think it is a pulley. at idle walk to the front of the truck and see if you can hear anything rubbing or any other noise.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Thanks for all the help. I'll check those things today and get back.

Harper, I thought it was a camper that the 1st and last days of owning were the happiest. I have a 28' travel trailer that I can't wait until it's gone.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Hey ED,

It must be an out-break of "Whine-Flu"...My 04 NPR started the SAME THING friday..

I can't find it yet... IT Stop & starts...I think mine is the the universal joint...or...a
wheel bering... :roll:

Good Luck.. "I'm sure you bought it right".. :wink:

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Update: Drove it today, didn't happen. Only difference is I put the exhaust brake on today. I'm hoping the oil leak was what Jim mentioned as the puddle was no larger and it didn't leak today when I parked it. I paid $22,500 for it. The guy I bought it from bought it from a guy (venturi) in Oregon. He has had it for 3 years, gone through it and had pretty much refurbished it. It is in good shape. It had a new tranny in 06 I believe. 109,000 miles and 4400 hours. I'll post some pictures when I get it painted yum yum yellow. Man this thing is slow. Anything over 55 is downhill. :shock:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ed,

the 3 1/2 hour drive should have given you a pretty good idea of what you Bought...

We are always a little "leary" of buying used equipment...!!!

As you operate it....you will build confidence in your mind....Then you can enjoy the

investment a lot more..!!!!

Hell...At that price....It will pay for itself as a mobile.."YUM...YUM..Yellow BILLBOARD" :wink:

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Well then it should be a solid piece of equipment, becuase it ran great, strong. I know buying used equipment is a gamble, but right now I don't see us buying new equipment. Our business is debt free. I don't like payments, been there, done that. There are always good deals out there.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Ed mine made a whining noise with the exhaust brake on. Let off accelerator and it would whine.

The exhaust manifold and new gaskets on the turbo fixed it.

Give that truck some patience and have the tech's take notes of anything out of the ordinary.

Bet that truck was just out of breathe from all the travel time. She will clean all day/nite for you though in park.

Describe where the oil drip was in relation to the engine.

Holler if I can help.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Thanks Brad. The oil leak seemed to be toward the back of the cab more toward the drivers side.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
kinda drips by the air filter......??..........blow by tube...not that big of a deal....if the engine over pressures to much it just lets it off with this tube....I notice that when I am going down a step grade and the exhaust break is backing me down and I am in a lower gear..I am really building the pressure and when I get home those are the times I noticed it drips a bit....most the time it does not....not to uncommon......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom